Anyone Remember The "hypnotique" In Lady Pecketts Yard York

I do remember the Hypnotique - it was my favourite place at the time - even though I was still at school and only 15/16 years old.We used to get in without any bother.Al Rhodes did the northern nights and Roy Hughes was the resident DJ. I saw some good acts there aswell - Robert Knight,Bobby Hebb and Major Lance - great times. I met many of my lifelong friends there too.

Here is video clip from 1972/3 that you might like to see - cant believe thats 40 years ago.It lasts about 10 minutes - there is no sound though.Shame as I would love to know what tune they were dancing to.

Names of people on it as far as I can remember ( and many faces I can't remember names)

Roy Hughes

Al Rhodes

Graham Snowden

John Barrow?

Graham Smith

Shirley ?

Keith Grainger

Jan Strogg?

Geoff Lee

Pez

Ade Witty

Geoff Beavis

John Jones

Chris Ramsden

Annie?

Keith Wrigglesworth

Paddy Hebblethwaite

Sharon Hodgson

Ian Varey

Sue Wadsworth

Rana Horsley

Christine Bradley

Apologies if I have any names incorrect - it was a long time ago. Does anyone else know anyone?

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/video/33243/

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes top place that. Saw Bobby Hebb there & the Major. Wasnt there a bomb scare when the Major was on? We stood outside talking to him..Used to travel over with Dave Thompson to meet up with Kenny Addison ,Tony Snowden and Stu and Al Tatts..I went out with Als sister Julie for a while back then. Anybody remember Kenny's blue & grey budgies ? used to fly round his flat cracking people up. Once sat and watched Johnny Daye slowly cracking up because of them..

Social source share

I do remember the Hypnotique - it was my favourite place at the time - even though I was still at school and only 15/16 years old.We used to get in without any bother.Al Rhodes did the northern nights and Roy Hughes was the resident DJ. I saw some good acts there aswell - Robert Knight,Bobby Hebb and Major Lance - great times. I met many of my lifelong friends there too. Here is video clip from 1972/3 that you might like to see - cant believe thats 40 years ago.It lasts about 10 minutes - there is no sound though.Shame as I would love to know what tune they were dancing to. Names of people on it as far as I can remember ( and many faces I can't remember names) Roy Hughes Al Rhodes Graham Snowden John Barrow? Graham Smith Shirley ? Keith Grainger Jan Strogg? Geoff Lee Pez Ade Witty Geoff Beavis John Jones Chris Ramsden Annie? Keith Wrigglesworth Paddy Hebblethwaite Sharon Hodgson Ian Varey Sue Wadsworth Rana Horsley Christine Bradley Apologies if I have any names incorrect - it was a long time ago. Does anyone else know anyone? https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/video/33243/

Keith Grainger was my boss in my first job - he was Head Chef and I was a commis chef. He gave me a right rough ride for my first few days. All day there was a radio on the kitchen window playing radio One. After a few days I plucked up the courage to ask if it was ok if I brought some cassettes to listen to instead of radio One. He said it was ok, and when I brought tapes in with Northern on, my life got suddenly easier!! The Sous Chef was nearer my age, and he was into Soul as well. Last time I saw Keith was maybe 1989 (?) and he was chef at the Agar Arms. Don't know if he's still in York.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest madmarx

I do remember the Hypnotique - it was my favourite place at the time - even though I was still at school and only 15/16 years old.We used to get in without any bother.Al Rhodes did the northern nights and Roy Hughes was the resident DJ. I saw some good acts there aswell - Robert Knight,Bobby Hebb and Major Lance - great times. I met many of my lifelong friends there too.

Here is video clip from 1972/3 that you might like to see - cant believe thats 40 years ago.It lasts about 10 minutes - there is no sound though.Shame as I would love to know what tune they were dancing to.

Names of people on it as far as I can remember ( and many faces I can't remember names)

Roy Hughes

Al Rhodes

Graham Snowden

John Barrow?

Graham Smith

Shirley ?

Keith Grainger

Jan Strogg?

Geoff Lee

Pez

Ade Witty

Geoff Beavis

John Jones

Chris Ramsden

Annie?

Keith Wrigglesworth

Paddy Hebblethwaite

Sharon Hodgson

Ian Varey

Sue Wadsworth

Rana Horsley

Christine Bradley

Apologies if I have any names incorrect - it was a long time ago. Does anyone else know anyone?

https://www.yorkpress...uk/video/33243/

Some good spots there mind

I knew many of the people you mention but to be fair i never met them until a couple of years after that was taken ( me only being 14 then ) probably 1974-5.

Young Chris Rammo bopping about there, he cant have been much more than 17 then ? He was a couple or 3 years older than me at school. Christine Bradley as well she must have been no age, Queen Annes lass wasnt she, mate of Liz conroy?

Knew Keith Grainger very well not seen him for years though.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Roy Hughes ‘When I’m Back In ‘64’  www.yorkpress.co.uk/video/33243/read

By the early Seventies, Roy was DJ at Hypnotique in Lady Peckitts Yard in central York. It was, he recalls, a small, smoky venue with a capacity of only about 200 people - though sometimes double that number would squeeze in.

It was hot and smelly and basic, he says, with a small dance floor, a disco in the corner and a small raised stage for the live bands. There was mildew under the carpet - but when Hypnotique was packed and heaving, the atmosphere was awesome.

Live bands appeared on Thursdays - including, one memorable Thursday, Robert Knight.

Knight had a couple of records in the charts at the time Roy recalls, and had been at the Top Of The Pops studio the night before to record.

He was playing Hypnotique the following night, when TOTP was screened. The whole audience, Knight included, watched him perform on TOTP - and then he mounted the stage and started playing live. (DP: prob late 1973 - early 1974 ish).

And as par for the course time moves on and clubs under go name changes - so Hypnotique became The Revolution which hosted regular punk/new wave nights (Joy Division played there on 22nd December 1978 supported by Cabaret Voltaire).

By 1979 it was called Casanovas

Casanovas 1979a.jpg

Casanovas 1979b.jpg 

And it was still called by that name in 1988

casanovas 1988.jpg

Social source share

Guest yorksoul1

I too remember seeing Robert Knight at The Hypnotique & also Limmie & Family Coookin (turned out the lady lead singer was called Jimmi). Roy Hughes introduced me to what is now my fvourite record, One Wonderful Moment by The Shakers. Had some great nights there & also went with Roy to Bootham Crescent to see York vs Arsenal in the FA Cup - Alan Ball was majestic that night!

Edited by yorksoul1
omission
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!