Postage From America

Soulie80

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

That's for priority, right price too for a single 45 in a regular mailer w 2 pieces of card around it, actually depending how he packs it could even cost him a couple of $ more based on weight, advantage to you is quicker and allegedly you can track it too (I say allegedly because half the time tracking only works til it gets to the US sort facility so effectively useless), regular airmail is $6.90 w usual packing, you could write and ask if he'd do that instead

Social source share

Hi,

His shipping price must be for Express Shipping (with tracking by Fed Ex or UPS ) from the US as this can cost the seller around $33 at the counter, dependent on weight. A well known US seller (L&M S on Evilbay or their own auctions)

use a 10/12 cardboard stiffener sandwich in an outer cardboard envelope and the price is usually $32.95 (stamped on it).

However it does arrive in about 3 days and they will put a low $ on the CN22, which helps with the zero customs charges.

David

Social source share

That's for priority, right price too for a single 45 in a regular mailer w 2 pieces of card around it, actually depending how he packs it could even cost him a couple of $ more based on weight, advantage to you is quicker and allegedly you can track it too (I say allegedly because half the time tracking only works til it gets to the US sort facility so effectively useless), regular airmail is $6.90 w usual packing, you could write and ask if he'd do that instead

I just had this confirmed through experience a couple days ago. If you ship a 45 mailer "priority" it's like $36 and "express" it's like $37. But Priority has flate rate envelopes so you can put it in the envelope and get it for $17. But priority does NOT come with a tracking number. You can actually track with the customs number they give you. But like someone else says, I don't think it's a guaranteed tracking that goes beyond the border. Express comes with a true tracking number different than the customs number.

Social source share

but sometimes maybe this high price puts people off bidding and you can still get abargain...i got lula reeds walk on by me in mint cond (books at 85)and donald jenkins ive settled down(books at 100) suppose to be vg++ but was better for less than the postage price cos no one bid...so the total was still well under half book price..and two great tunes

dean

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

but sometimes maybe this high price puts people off bidding and you can still get abargain...i got lula reeds walk on by me in mint cond (books at 85)and donald jenkins ive settled down(books at 100) suppose to be vg++ but was better for less than the postage price cos no one bid...so the total was still well under half book price..and two great tunes

dean

I agree with this -- it's at least true with me. When a seller has free shipping I'll bid higher and when a seller has high shipping I get annoyed and think the seller is trying to rip me off and will bid lower.

Social source share

I just had this confirmed through experience a couple days ago. If you ship a 45 mailer "priority" it's like $36 and "express" it's like $37. But Priority has flate rate envelopes so you can put it in the envelope and get it for $17. But priority does NOT come with a tracking number. You can actually track with the customs number they give you. But like someone else says, I don't think it's a guaranteed tracking that goes beyond the border. Express comes with a true tracking number different than the customs number.

Agreed with Express the 45 is tracked in the US, when it arrives in the UK it is given a UK tracking number and it is trackable all the way through.

David

Edited by spook
Social source share

What about sending a 45 from the Uk to the US.

what would be the best way and a rough cost,i want to track it,

or get some confermation that the buyer received it,can you

send it rec del to the US so it get`s signed for at end address?.

Dave f....

I usually get offered two different services that come with tracking, I forget the specific names of the services but I'm sure someone here would know. Far more important than tracking is packing the record well in a stiff US style mailer with filler pads so the package is rigid. I don't know how those envelope things even make it between UK addresses without getting cracked records. Even the filler pads that people use in those things are super thin and not rigid at all.

Social source share

What about sending a 45 from the Uk to the US.

what would be the best way and a rough cost,i want to track it,

or get some confermation that the buyer received it,can you

send it rec del to the US so it get`s signed for at end address?.

Dave f....

registered airmail from my experience the best way to go on higher end items

but I recently dealt with a seller from the uk who charge me £8 registered shipping on a cheap £10 record..I asked him if he could adjust the shipping cost and he wouldnt..thought it was a little outrageous imo

Social source share

I usually get offered two different services that come with tracking, I forget the specific names of the services but I'm sure someone here would know. Far more important than tracking is packing the record well in a stiff US style mailer with filler pads so the package is rigid. I don't know how those envelope things even make it between UK addresses without getting cracked records. Even the filler pads that people use in those things are super thin and not rigid at all.

Yes i just turn the Bags Unltd mailers inside out and use them, :-).

Social source share

IMHO there are only two US postal services worth using; the expensive "tracked all the way" one which is over $30 but does ensure the vinyl gets to you, and the standard airmail.

Standard airmail is anonymous and as long as a high value isn't shown on the customs slip, it too almost always gets to you.

Anything else, including the "tracked until it leaves US and then signed for" just gets nicked, probably at the UK end.

Social source share

IMHO there are only two US postal services worth using; the expensive "tracked all the way" one which is over $30 but does ensure the vinyl gets to you, and the standard airmail.

Standard airmail is anonymous and as long as a high value isn't shown on the customs slip, it too almost always gets to you.

Anything else, including the "tracked until it leaves US and then signed for" just gets nicked, probably at the UK end.

I think if you send it first class registered, it's slower but is safer. I hate sending packages registered because you have to use this special brown tape on the package, you can't use clear packing tape.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert