Articles: Colin Curtis - Too much to Swallow.

Actually, I think Steve L is correct.

Colin Curtis may have once been a great and innovative northern soul DJ.

He may be a great modern soul DJ.

He may have fantastic knowledge of the subject and rather good musical taste.

BUT, without the records, he is no longer an authentic northern soul DJ at a dedicated northern soul event. Particularly one where other DJs do in fact have the records in their boxes.

And let's face it, reiterating post 43, it wouldn't be so onerous a task to actually obtain the records which Colin played at the Swallow would it?

Just out of curiosity, were you one of the DJ's who had the records in their boxes at this gig?

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

It's a soul night FFS, one that caters for the local crowd, Colin was/would have been a draw, if there wasn't a massive amount of complaints by the punters there, why is it being debated here (again) does it matter that much?

Winnie, the reason it is being debated on here is because the topic starter decided (out of the clear blue sky, from a Soul Source point of view) that he wanted to mount a defence of Colin Curtis. The thread was not started by anyone complaining about Colin's method of DJing.

The topic starter provided a link to a piece which stated:

'Last friday at the Swallow Hotel in Gateshead, emerging as the best of the North East nostalgia nights, he was criticised for committing the cardinal sin playing the incorrect variety of plastic, variously described as crap and disgraceful.'

This implies that there were indeed significant complaints, although they were made elsewhere.

There is, though, clearly a debate to be had as it has engaged a number of opinions and comments.

Note to Mike: it would be a shame to close the thread as it is topical, thought provoking, controversial, generally 'on-topic', and clearly interesting to many Soul-Sourcers. It also hasn't degenerated into the types of personal insults which often occur elsewhere.

Let's see where it goes!

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Just out of curiosity, were you one of the DJ's who had the records in their boxes at this gig?

No I wasn't, so nothing personal about my opinions (on this occasion!). Just points of principle.

I also hope, from the post you quoted at least, there is no doubt about my admiration and respect for what Colin Curtis has contributed to the northern soul scene.

Social source share

Winnie, the reason it is being debated on here is because the topic starter decided (out of the clear blue sky, from a Soul Source point of view) that he wanted to mount a defence of Colin Curtis. The thread was not started by anyone complaining about Colin's method of DJing.

The topic starter provided a link to a piece which stated:

'Last friday at the Swallow Hotel in Gateshead, emerging as the best of the North East nostalgia nights, he was criticised for committing the cardinal sin playing the incorrect variety of plastic, variously described as crap and disgraceful.'

This implies that there were indeed significant complaints, although they were made elsewhere.

There is, though, clearly a debate to be had as it has engaged a number of opinions and comments.

Note to Mike: it would be a shame to close the thread as it is topical, thought provoking, controversial, generally 'on-topic', and clearly interesting to many Soul-Sourcers. It also hasn't degenerated into the types of personal insults which often occur elsewhere.

Let's see where it goes!

if you do want to discuss the actual playing of various formats then it be best if start a new thread

the singling out and constant reference to one person and one event as the focus for the discussion doesn't sit well with me

what ever your views on it all, it does go on elsewhere and other "well known" djs do do it, and so do feel that any further discussion should reflect that rather than its current state

as said am closing this, as feel needed

if do wish to discuss the general points raised then feel free to start a new thread,

thanks

mike

Edited by mike
Social source share