Is Carolina Beach Music, Americas Version Of Northern Soul

nrc

The reason why i ask, is that they both seem to have similar themes. Both started around the same time mid sixties. Both are predominantly made up of white people who enjoy dancing to African American RnB ,Soul, and a lot of the dance moves are similar albeit that the Americans tend to dance as pairs. They both encompass spins and drops,and even the use of talc on the dancfloor. You only have to go on Youtube to find that some of the artists are the ones that we know and love, Willie Tee, The showmen, Percy sledge, Garnett Mimms, and the Dells to name a few.

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I went to a couple of Shag dances in Myrtle beach and got talking to a few people. Then showed them some footage on my phone of Blackpool weekender dance comp. they thought it great, and preety similar.

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

They're not as touchy about their music as the NS crowd. They include rock'n'roll and brand new recordings in their playlists. They're also more into live music, but I guess they're in a better position than us there.

I occasionally pick up an old soul show on one or the other Carolina radio stations and they have some great material on there (And some dodgy covers), but the newer stuff often uses programmed backings, and that's anathema to me.

I do love their dance records though. 'Shut up and shag' is a particular favourite... :)

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I've just noticed that they hold the occasional Beach Party and Shag contest at Wanker's Corner.

You couldn't make it up...

Edited by JJMMWGDuPree
Social source share

The reason why i ask, is that they both seem to have similar themes. Both started around the same time mid sixties. Both are predominantly made up of white people who enjoy dancing to African American RnB ,Soul, and a lot of the dance moves are similar albeit that the Americans tend to dance as pairs. They both encompass spins and drops,and even the use of talc on the dancfloor. You only have to go on Youtube to find that some of the artists are the ones that we know and love, Willie Tee, The showmen, Percy sledge, Garnett Mimms, and the Dells to name a few.

It probably is, don't forget the current US rare soul scene, it's pretty big :

https://windycitysoulclub.com/

The Belgian Popcorn scene is a parallel world with the UK NS scene, born in the very early 70s, 60s soul music (when it started) totally underground, full of politics and posy DJs, sellers, collectors and matrix reading anoraks and to top it all it's in the north of the country. :yes:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 1 month later...

There's a number of books about the beach scene ......

One that deals with the history of it's development & how Shagging came about is up on Google Books (in part ) .... go here ....

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=24N5hiaZVPUC&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9&dq=Shag:+Dancing+On+The+Edge&source=bl&ots=VVXtqUPmri&sig=LLSg7fcub6hmp9hEfLGP8j9QfKc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HTweULiXGeOe0QXakYHgCA&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAA#v=

Social source share

Although 'Shagging' seems to date back to the 1930's & people in the Carolinas were already doing it on a regular basis (no oooh, arr missis, here please), it's the scene as it grew up in the 60's that I guess is of most interest to us here.

One of the top 'beach' venues back in the mid 60's was the Folly Beach Pier, located at a holiday resort not too far outside of Charleston.

A beach scene dance held at the Folly Beach Pier back then .......

post-22122-0-06547000-1344159282_thumb.j

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert