The Tempests

Guest Andy BB

Guest Andy BB

Can anyone help with a The Tempests Discography?

Anyone got one or know of a book etc that I can find one in?

Obviously I want the group who were on Smash - not one of the seemingly dozens of other groups with the same name.

Cheers m'dears

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can anyone help with a The Tempests Discography?

Anyone got one or know of a book etc that I can find one in?

Obviously I want the group who were on Smash - not one of the seemingly dozens of other groups with the same name.

Cheers m'dears

The Mercury Labels a Five Volume Discography written byMichel Ruppli and Ed Novitsky

Mercury Records was founded in 1945 and soon became a major force in jazz, blues, classical, rock, and country recording. This five-volume discography provides a listing of all recordings made or issued by the Mercury label and its subsidiaries (Blue Rock, Cumberland, Emarcy, Fontana, Limelight, Philips, Smash, and Wing). Each volume ends with an artist index, which includes all the names appearing in the session listings of the volume. In addition to providing details on stereo/mono master number equivalences, and information on various formats, the fifth volume concludes with a general artist index, including all the names which appear in the earlier volumes.

Social source share

FOUND THREE LISTED IN 'SOUL HARMONY SINGLES'

SMASH 2094 WOULD YOU BELIEVE /YOU ARE THE STAR I WISH ON (5 / 67)

SMASH 2126 WHAT YOU GONNA DO / CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF MY MIND 67

SMASH 2194 OUT OF MY LIFE / THE WAY TO A MAN'S HEART (11 / 68)

month and year in brackets...it's a start anyway

Chris M

Social source share

They only issued four 45s plus one LP on Smash.

The missing 45 from above is:

Smash 2158 - Long Live Our Love / In The (Cold Light Of Day) - 1968

Great group, almost everything they recorded is good stuff. Check out their version of "Out Of My Life" on one of the Smash 45s, it's the original version of the Hazel Martin tune on MARCO (which has been getting some attention during the past couple of years). Hazel Martin was the singer in The Tempests, and the original 60s Tempests cut of this track is far superior to the solo version in my opinion.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Thanks a lot lads.

Bit gutted that the first time I ever decide to collect all the 45s from a particular band I've already got their entire output. :lol:

Unless someone knows differently...

Spot on though, brilliant band and you saved me forking out for a book. :thumbsup:

Social source share

They only issued four 45s plus one LP on Smash.

The missing 45 from above is:

Smash 2158 - Long Live Our Love / In The (Cold Light Of Day) - 1968

Great group, almost everything they recorded is good stuff. Check out their version of "Out Of My Life" on one of the Smash 45s, it's the original version of the Hazel Martin tune on MARCO (which has been getting some attention during the past couple of years). Hazel Martin was the singer in The Tempests, and the original 60s Tempests cut of this track is far superior to the solo version in my opinion.

Don't think the 'Out of my life' track is a patch on some of the stuff that's on the album.

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Tempest..._Of_My_Life.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Tempest...ve_Our_Love.ram

Social source share

Thanks a lot lads.

Bit gutted that the first time I ever decide to collect all the 45s from a particular band I've already got their entire output. :lol:

Unless someone knows differently...

Spot on though, brilliant band and you saved me forking out for a book. :thumbsup:

Don't know if its the same group but got a southern soul offering by them on southern wing........quite an obscure 80's record...................................basicly crap :lol: you can have it if your collecting them! but dont know if it is the same Tempests :lol:

Social source share

The album is Would You Believe! The Tempests on Smash SRS 67098

thanks to my good mate Andy Dennison for putting that one my way, brilliant album! :thumbsup:

Kenny :lol:

Just to be completist. That's the catalogue number for the stereo release. The monaural release catalogue number is Smash MGS 27098

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Plus they are the backing band for the Appreciations "Better To Cry" on Sport too.

Oh trust you!

They couldn't have been backing singers on a cheapie could they?

Actually, can someone confirm this cos Tony has a fabulous knack of convincing me to believe absolute boll**ks. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert