Soul Or Nothing Aprill 22nd

..........WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT NIGHT!!................Great crowd of people and some of the best music Ive heard in a long time!! Djs were top and it was inspiring to have Baz and The Swedish lads play, aswell as Joan, Karl, Des etc!! Adam Leaver did a excellent spot!.....just a great night!.Well done Steve for pulling it off and giving us a special event..........Looking Forward To The Next One!!

PAUL -S

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

..........WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT NIGHT!!................Great crowd of people and some of the best music Ive heard in a long time!! Djs were top and it was inspiring to have Baz and The Swedish lads play, aswell as Joan, Karl, Des etc!! Adam Leaver did a excellent spot!.....just a great night!.Well done Steve for pulling it off and giving us a special event..........Looking Forward To The Next One!!

PAUL -S

Always a great night at Soul or Nothing...........Would be nice to see some playlists :ohmy:

What a cracker of a nite ... ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

Still can't get over the quality of the music that was played .... incredible just doesn't do it justice!

BIG BIG THANKS to all the DJ's .... residents ... Karl, Paul and Adam ... top stuff from all three ...

and of course the guests ... Des ... nice to see you again! ... James Trouble .... sorry for us all being twats ....

Special thanks to the lads from Sweden who all played some cracking stuff ... think it's safe to say they enjoyed themselves! :ohmy:

and last .... but by no means least ... the guys from the North East .... Baz .. for being superb as always .... Gaz for being tip top ... Headsy for his new shoes ... Wally for the great record ...Ted for his t shirt .... and Kev for ... well .. just about everything!

And of course Steve .... who did a fantastic job of sorting the room out .... and who also did a fantastic job of falling flat on his arse at the end .... :ohmy:

Was just a brill nite .... :unsure:

I have had to throw out the trousers i was wearing though .... due to the wet floor .. brand new they were too!

Edited by jumpinjoan

never really appreciated what a good dancer Cruisey was till last night, floats like an angel he does, and what acrobatics, gonna win a lot of dance competitions thats for sure :ohmy:

:unsure::ohmy::D without doubt one of the funniest things i've ever seen .... it must have hurt .... cos it bloody hurt me .... my sides are absolutely killing me!

Top night!

Thanx Steve, you deserve a big goldmedal!!!

Great to meet you all and hear TOP SOUNDS!! hope to see you all again soon!

Christian Punky

a not in order list from me:

Furys - what is soul - Mack IV

Decisions - I cant forget about you - Sussex

Specials - Baby you need me - Satch

Gentlemen Four - You cant keep a good man down - Wand

Chandlers - Your love makes me lonely - Col Soul

Drake + Ensolids - Please Leave Me - Alteen

Freddie Watson + Restorators - Unlucky Seven - Eloys

Gambrells - I´m in love again for the first time - Cub

Kittens - Wait a minute - Vick

MM+Peanuts - The Phillie - Money

Jimmie Ellis - Happy to be - Century City

Mandells - I just cant win - Moneytown

Little Nicky Soul - I Wanted to Tell you - Shee

Carl Hall - Mean it baby - Loma

Frank & James - How Long is forever - Smooth City

Ronnie McNeir - Good side of your love - Tortoise

Constellations - I dont know about you - Gemini

Timothy Wilson - I must love you - Sky Disc

Reachers - I just want to do my own thing - Magic Disc

and 1 or 2 more. Again GREAT NIGHT!!!!

Guest James Trouble

... James Trouble .... sorry for us all being twats ....
:yes::yes: I thought it was a great crowd, apart from when my favourate record cleared the floor. :yes:

Well done Stevie, keep at it, you've got a little gem in the northern soul crown there, quality! :)

Sorry I missed my first set, I couldn't tear myself away from the Reds turning Chelsea over and then got caught in a traffic jam for almost an hour on the M6 on the way up from Essex.

Playlist as requested:

Linda Jones - Just Can't Live My Life (WB)

Little John - Just Wait And See (GOGATE)

Adventureres - Easy Baby (COMPASS)

Wooden Nickels - Nobody But You (OMEN)

Professionals - That's Why I Love You (GROOVE CITY)

Nate Adams - Yes You Did It (ATLANTIC ACETATE)

Softiques - Bash'ful (SHELDON)

Four Bars - Push Girl (C/U)

Nella Dodds - How Will I Know (VIRTUE ACETATE)

Unknown Artist - His Love Is Amazing (South Mountain Music Corp ACETATE)

Pat Lewis - No One To Love (SOLID HIT)

Earnest Mosley - Stubborn Heart (LA-CINDY)

Ray + The Blue Satins - She Doesn't Love Me (ARV)

Honey and The Bees - Dynamite Exploded (ARCTIC)

Ann Robinson - You Did It (ALL BROTHERS)

Rufus Wood - Before 2001 (ESPANOLA)

Edited by James Trouble

THE WHOLE NIGHT WAS FANTASTIC,GOT TO SAY WELL DONE STEVE,AND AFTER 28 YEARS GOING TO NIGHTERS IT WAS SO REFRESHING TO HEAR RECORD AFTER RECORD WHAT I HAVE NEVER HEARD BEFORE.SURELY THIS IS THE WAY FORWARD SMALLER MORE INTIMATE VENUES PLAYING UPFRONT IN YOUR FACE NORTHERN SOUL.

BIG THANKS TO SO MANY PEOPLE FIRSTLY THE GOOD FRIENDS THAT FOLLOWED ME DOWN ,GAZ SIMONS [WILL SUPPORT YOU MATE WHEN YOUR ON]HEADSEY,WALLY FOR EVERYTHING,TED AND LAST BUT BUT NOT LEAST KEV BONNO JOHNSON,WITHIN 10 MINUTES TABLE OVER,PARKA ON AND THE U2 CELEBRATION CULMULATING IN MY HEAD BEEN COVERED IN BODDINGTONS.

MUSIC WISE JOAN BRILLIANT AS USUAL,PAUL SADOT BRILLIANT,KARL RHODES FANTASTIC,LOVE BEEN IN THIS COMPANY,I WAS MOST IMPRESSED WITH THE BRILLIANT ADAM LEAVER [WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING MATE]GET OUT THERE AND CARRY IT FORWARD ALONG WITH JAMES TROUBLE WHO I THOUGHT WAS A TOTAL BREATH OF FRESH AIR.ALSO THE BRILLIANT SWEDES WHO PUT ON A GREAT SHOW,GOT TO SAY IT WAS BRILLIANT SEEING YOUNGER DJS GIVING IT WHAT FOR THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT.

LASTLY MICKY CRUISE WHAT A DANCER LIKE A YOUNG CASSIUS CLAY,ROLL ON THE NEXT ONE AND PLAYLIST TO FOLLOW.WELL DONE STEVE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK YOU HAVE MY TOTAL SUPPORT.

BAZ A. NORTH EAST.

Guest James Trouble

DJs who stood out for me were Joan and Baz, their sets got right in my face, just how I like it. :yes: But saying that, I don't think I heard a bad record all night from anyone. How often can you say that? :)

Baz, we've got a bit used to Adam's great taste on the funk scene for some years now, we kind of take him for granted I think. :yes::yes:

JAMES YOU 2 NEED TO GET OUT THERE MORE AND TAKE IT FORWARD THERES ONLY SO MUCH MILEAGE IN OLD KNACKERS LIKE US,PLUS WE ARE NOT VERY SANE EITHER,

HERES PLAYLIST AND I HOPE TO SEE YOU AND ADAM UP AT PIERCEBRIDGE IN AUGUST.

ROTATION -OLD LOVE -GRIM

LOU BOND -YOU SHOOK ME UP-BRAINSTORM

BOBBY TAYL0R-ITS GROWING -GORDY

MIKE AND CENSATIONS-DONT MESS WITH ME-HIGHLAND

RICHARD LANHAM-HEY GIRL -JOSIE

EDDIE HOLMAN-I NEED SOMEBODY

[ALL THE ABOVE UNDER £35 ]

SPENCER WIGGINS-LETS TALK IT OVER-SOUL SERIES

SYMPHONICS-GUILTY-CURTOM

DELLS -SHOW ME-CADET

CC CARLSON-SHES NOT TO BLAME-BOLD

REV -OC TALBOT-YOU GOT A HOLD ON ME-ROYLAT

FABULOUS APPOLLOS -THE ONE ALONE-VALTONE

SILKY HARGREAVES-LOVE LETS TRY IT AGAIN-WHEELSVILLE

JOHNNY ROBINSON-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTON-OKEH WHITE DEMO

BRESTER CREW -IM ONE WHO KNOWS-LIFELINE

BULL-BYGONES- BELL DEMO

LUTHER-DONT WANNA BE YOUR FOOL-COTTILLION.

BERNICE WILLIS-CONFIDENCE-OKEH PROMO.

HOPE WE ALL GET THE CHANCE TO REPAY OUR SWEDISH COUNTERPARTS AND GET TO PLAY OVER THERE,CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT JOAN US LOT TURNING UP THERE WITH PARKAS ON AND ALL.

Heres what I can remember of my playlist!!! In no order and from the 2 spots.....

LEONARD ADAIR - That Smile On Your Face

FOUR ANDANTES - Hipper Than Me

ALCON SHADES - All Is Forgiven

LITTLE RON JOHNSON - I Keep Telling You

ARCHIE BELL - One Night Affair

JONATHON CAPREE - Gonna Build Me A Mountain

CITY LIMITS - What Have I (cover)

RELATIVES - Lenient With Your Love

HERMAN LEWIS - Our Love Is Dying (cover)

EBONY JAM - Ride On

E.T. WHITE - Got To Find A True Love

FRANK HOWARD - Judy

PACE SETTERS - My Ship Is Coming In

FRANK HUTSON - Old Man Me

JOHNNIE MAE MATHEWS - Got - To Be On

SONATAS - Going On Down The Road

SYL JOHNSON - Send Me Some Lovin

LITTLE DONDI - Ive Forgot To Get Myself Together

LITTLE SAMSON - Dont Take Your Love From Me

SAMMY CAMPBELL - I Never Thought

BLUES BAG - I Am Gonna Love You

INELL YOUNG - What Do You See In Her

DAVID RUFFIN - No Matter Where

LITTLE MELVIN - Jealous Lover

BOB and GENE - Sailboat

FREDDY HILL - Mr Lucky

BARRINO BROTHERS - Just A Mistake

JUDY McDONALD - Theres Nothing Id Rather Do

EMMITT LONG - Call Me

:) Looking Forward To Next One !!!!!! PAUL-S

Thanks so much to all the Baz,Des and James and my good freinds from Sweden,we had a bit to pove after last month..Thanks so much also to my residents and all the support and help you give me..Will speak to you all soon...Good to see Shane/Paul and the Sheffield crowd along with others..You make it what it is..Back on 6th May with guest dj from Germany and much more..

regards

steve

Edited by little-stevie
Guest Arcticsoulboy

First of all many, many thanks to Steve who invited us and took care of us in Manchester. Not only a great promoter, but also a great cook to boot! Thanks to everyone we met in Brighouse Ritz on friday - always a very friendly crowd. I had a great night in the Aqua Bar and was impressed by cracking sets from all the dj´s. Many new and fresh tunes to these ears and very inspiring, even though I can only remember one title per night, must bring a pen next time... I hope to see you all again soon and that we can return the favor and take as many of you as possible over to Sweden for herring (optional), schnapps (not optional) and soul.

And here´s what I played:

T.S.U Toronados "Please heart don´t break" (Rampart Street)

The Commands "Hey it´s love" (Dynamics)

Lost Soul "A secret of mine" (Raven)

Sam Fletcher "I´d think it over" (Tollie)

Ruby "Deceived" (Gold Token)

Hollidays "I lost you" (Groove city)

Detroit Soul "All of my life" (Music Town)

T.S.U Toronados (always at least one TSU track per night, that´s my motto!) "Got to get through to you" (Atlantic)

Isonics "Sugar" (Kammy)

Ambers "Potion of Love" (Smash)

Tokays "Baby baby baby" (Brute)

George Freeman "Down and out" (Valiant)

Sheppards "Stubborn heart" (Mirwood)

Impalas "Speed up" (Capitol)

Charisma Band "Ain´t nothing like your love" (Buddah)

Still knackered / Lars AKA Black Sheep Bitter

Great night & great tunes played by all.Downside was nearly 3hrs of Kev Johnson talking utter shi#e all the way home.My head hurts, im going back offshore now for a rest. :yes:

I went quiet for a little while ph34r.gif:rolleyes: so it wasn't really 3 hours.

What a cracker of a nite ... ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

Still can't get over the quality of the music that was played .... incredible just doesn't do it justice!

BIG BIG THANKS to all the DJ's .... residents ... Karl, Paul and Adam ... top stuff from all three ...

and of course the guests ... Des ... nice to see you again! ... James Trouble .... sorry for us all being twats ....

Special thanks to the lads from Sweden who all played some cracking stuff ... think it's safe to say they enjoyed themselves! ph34r.gif

and last .... but by no means least ... the guys from the North East .... Baz .. for being superb as always .... Gaz for being tip top ... Headsy for his new shoes ... Wally for the great record ...Ted for his t shirt .... and Kev for ... well .. just about everything!

And of course Steve .... who did a fantastic job of sorting the room out .... and who also did a fantastic job of falling flat on his arse at the end .... :D

Was just a brill nite .... :yes:

I have had to throw out the trousers i was wearing though .... due to the wet floor .. brand new they were too!

Wet floor :rolleyes: - sure you didn't P**s yourself laughing Joan.(It was such a nice outfit as well I might add.)

Wet floor :rolleyes: - sure you didn't P**s yourself laughing Joan.(It was such a nice outfit as well I might add.)

It's your fault if i did ..... it's always your fault! ph34r.gif

Anyway ... when i wasn't pissing myself ... here's what i played ...

EMANUEL LASKEY - PEACE LOVING MAN - THELMA

CHIMES - BEGINNING OF MY LIFE - DOWN TO EARTH

BUDDY LAMP - SAVE YOUR LOVE - WHEELSVILLE

MARTHA & VANDELLAS - BEEN IN LOVE TOO LONG - GORDY

MASQUERADERS - HOW - LA BEAT

VENTURAS - HEART OF LOVE - GREEN LIGHT

MIL EVANS - WHEN I'M READY - TOUS SEA

HEARTBREAKERS - GOT TO FACE IT - DERBY CITY

OZZ & SPERLINGS - SOMEBODY TO LOVE - MIOB

SUGAR & SWEET - I'VE CHANGED - AUDIO FORTY

MARK PUTNEY - TODAYS MAN - OVIDE

ESQUIRES - DANCING HOLE IN THE WORLD - ROCKY RIDGE

TONY TALENT - GOTTA TELL SOMEBODY - VANDO

CARLTONS - OOH BABY - ARGO

VELVELETTES - BIRD IN THE HAND - VIP

BROS OF SOUL - COME ON BACK - BOO

MR. CALDWELL - LOVE BANDIT - SCORPIO

DARROW FLETCHER - PAIN GETS LITTLE DEEPER - GROOVY

MARSHALL & CHILITES - PRICE OF LOVE - DAKAR

CLAUDE HUEY - DRIFTING - MIOB

KENNI LEWIS - WHAT'S HER NAME - BUDDAH

FALCONS - GOOD GOOD FEELING - BIG WHEEL

JACK MONTGOMERY - DO YOU BELIEVE - REVUE

GEORGE HUGHLEY - THATS WHY I CRY - BUDDAH

4 PRO'S - EVERYBODY'S GOT SOME SOUL - CARLA

WINSTONS - AIN'T NOTHING LIKE - CURTOM

HUNS REVIEW - DON'T MAKE ME LOVE YOU - ZORRO

TOWANA - GET THAT FEELING BACK AGAIN - ROMARK

INTENTIONS - LOSING YOUR LOVE - UPTIGHT

BILL SPOON - THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU - HENCE FORTH

COMBINATION INC - DIRTY DEAL - ARK LARK

... well i did have 3 spots!

Hi all, well its time i got the fingers on the keyboard and attempt to put my first post up on soul source, not because i've never wanted to do it just never get the time. What can i say! WOW!! That says it all for me. BYE!!!

Steve my mate, got to take my hat off to you sir. what a differance a month makes, i had all the faith in you and you proved me right. Knew you would do it!!

Great to see Baz, what a gent and played brilliant sets, always impressing me with quality records, Adam, you where awsome young man, nice to meet our overseas friends, great music from you lads, hope Steve looked after you ok? Des, always turns up with the goods, James, brilliant set and i loved the stylas change! Joan and Paul, fantastic as ever! Great night had by all. Now to try and remember what i played, suffer from accute memory loss at weekends, cant think why!!!

Mickey McCullers - Who you gonna run to - V.I.P

O.C.Smith - On easy street - Columbia

Hesitations - If you ever need a hand - Kapp

Johnny Moore - Lonely heart in the city - Blue Rock

Garland Green - Angel baby - Uni

Bobby Sansom - Dont leave - Sublime

Dynamite Singletary - The same way you love your man - Dynamite

Four Shells - Reputation - Volt

Startones - Lovin you baby - Billie Fran

Volumes - I've never been so in love - Garu

Districts - One lover - Nile

Guitar Ray - You're gonna wreck my life - Shagg

Johnny Gilliam - Room full of tears - Cancer

C.L.Blast - What can i do - United

Little Charles - Talkin about you baby - Decca

Jackson Brothers - I've gotta hear it from you - Providence

El Anthony - We've been in love too long - La Cindy

Jessie James - Are you gonna leave me - Shirley

Patti Drew - Stop and listen - Capitol

Carol Anderson - Taking my mind off love - Whip

The Ithacas - If you want my love - Feebee

Ralph Soul Jackson - Set me free - Black Cat

Bobby Smith - Girl - c/u

Bob Collins - My one and only girl - Mainline

Dave Charles - Aint gonna cry no more - Donnie

Eugeene Gaspard - Holding on - Rosemont

Bitter and the sweet - I wont have any babies for you - Anything, Everything.

Well thats it, gone all light headed trying to remember them. Thanks to everyone who made it such a great night.

Karl.

Hi all, well its time i got the fingers on the keyboard and attempt to put my first post up on soul source, not because i've never wanted to do it just never get the time. What can i say! WOW!! That says it all for me. BYE!!!

Whey hey ..... good to have you with us ... you played a fantastic spot on Sat fella ... :rolleyes:

..... what about when he did this ..... :lol:

Brilliant Joan, I wish I'd seen it :thumbsup:

Your set sounds fantastic as usual, and its so refreshing to see that your taste has remained impeccable for all these years, unlike some DJs (?) that play what the promotor wants them to play! :thumbsup:

Hey, maybe I'll be allowed out again soon, and I'll get to hear you play - Mr Cato has volunteered his Mum to babysit - bet she don't know though! :P

Source Advert