Soul Or Nothing

Looking forward to returning to the decks after a few years. My thanks for Steve Cato asking me as we've never actually met face to face still. Just to give you a little taster as to what I plan to feature if no one else plays them first are:

The Locations: Mr. Diamond Man

The Caressers: I Can't Stay Away (For Colin & Shirl if they come?)

Matt Lucas: Shake It (Unissued Golden World)

Soul Brothers Inc.: Teardrops (For Karl Rhodes)

Lonnette McKee: Do To Me

Lee Dorsey: Vista Vista

Bernard Smith: Gotta Be A Reason (Edgewood Studios Recording)

The Volumes: That Same Old Feeling

The New Yorkers: Don't Want To Be Your Fool

These may change by the time I go on, but they are tracks I've been listening too at home recently.

Hope to see you there

Mark "The Hitman" Hanson

Soul Or Nothing

Manchester

Saturday 6th May

8pm to 3am

£5 members £6 others

email us for free membership

Aqua Bar (opposite G-Mex behind the Hacienda,100 yards from Deansgate Station.100 yards from the Ritz)

Guest DJ's

Michael Wink

Germany

Mark Hanson

Bluepower-Soul / Soul Up North

Neil Gibson

Residents

Jumpin Joan

Paul Sadot

Karl Rhodes

Adam Leaver

rare 60s/70s northern soul,crossover,big beat ballads,RnB etc etc

details www.cooloff.net

mob 07752084878

email stevecato64@yahoo.co.uk

Free parking outside on side street and in small car park..Plus all night multi story opposite and NCP round the corner on Whitworth Street

Premiere lodge and other hotels 5 min walk

• Replies 40
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to returning to the decks after a few years. My thanks for Steve Cato asking me as we've never actually met face to face still.

Hi Mark .... you can't miss Steve .... he's the Nordic blonde God by the bar!! :shhh:

Look forward to having you join us ..... i know you'll do great .... now how good are you at doing the splits?

Cos standards are high at Soul or Nothing .... :thumbsup:

Edited by jumpinjoan

WISH I COULD MAKE THIS ONE WITH THE GEORDIE BRIGADE ,BUT GOT RECORDS TO PAY FOR AND NEED NEW TANK TOP AS MINE IS SOAKED.NEW TUNE THAT JOAN CATCH THAT BODDINGTONS BY THE FIVE MAD GEORDIES.

THAT PICTURE MAKES ME FEEL THAT MICKY CRUISE [sOUL DANCER AND THE SANDY HOLT STUDENT]IS THE SPITTING IMAGE OF BEN ELTON WHAT DO YOU THINK?

WISH I COULD MAKE IT TO ME THE BEST RESIDENTS IN THE COUNTRY ,PLAYLISTS ARE AWESOME ALWAYS,LOOK FORWARD TO COMING AGAIN AND SPINNING A FEW RARE ONES.

BAZ ATKINSON .

WISH I COULD MAKE THIS ONE WITH THE GEORDIE BRIGADE ,BUT GOT RECORDS TO PAY FOR AND NEED NEW TANK TOP AS MINE IS SOAKED.NEW TUNE THAT JOAN CATCH THAT BODDINGTONS BY THE FIVE MAD GEORDIES.

THAT PICTURE MAKES ME FEEL THAT MICKY CRUISE [sOUL DANCER AND THE SANDY HOLT STUDENT]IS THE SPITTING IMAGE OF BEN ELTON WHAT DO YOU THINK?

WISH I COULD MAKE IT TO ME THE BEST RESIDENTS IN THE COUNTRY ,PLAYLISTS ARE AWESOME ALWAYS,LOOK FORWARD TO COMING AGAIN AND SPINNING A FEW RARE ONES.

BAZ ATKINSON .

Baz ... you are welcome to spin a few at SoN ANYTIME .... just say when you can make it fella ....

New tank top .... :yes:

Baz ... you are welcome to spin a few at SoN ANYTIME .... just say when you can make it fella ....

New tank top .... :lol:

I'M ALWAYS AVAILABLE JOAN :yes: SORRY TO MISS LAST ONE I WAS FLYING THE FLAG IN SUNNY DUBLIN...BUT SEE EVERYONE AT THE NEXT ONE BY HOOK OR BY CROOK,,,,,.....CAPTAIN MORGAN & THE MEXICAN BANDITTO !!!!!!!!!!!!! :) IF ANYONES GOING TO 'BASICS' R&B ALLDAYER AT 'THE SPIDERS WEB' IN EDINBURGH THE FOLLOWING SATURDAY ..I'LL BE PLAYING THERE !! CONTACT US IF YOU FANCY IT !! OR IF YOUR GONNA BE THERE PLEASE SAY HELLO !!!!!! :yes: I'LL BE ON BETWEEN 5 & 6 IN THE AFTERNOON APPROX !!!
Guest ShaneH

count me in for this one :thumbsup:

jamie are you joining us? :wicked:

looking forward to it

Shane

Edited by ShaneH

Thanks for your support John/Shane,always trying to keep it fresh and bring in guest djs from all over the uk and Europe...Here is a brief profile of my special guest for Saturday...Michael as been a dj on the scene in Europe for many years and also over here in the main room Cleethorpes this year..This profile is a few months old but gives a guide to what and where he plays..Hope to see some more new faces and old ones :yes: ..Give me a call or email for more info..07752084878...

Name: Michael Wink

Birthplace: Wesel / Germany

First DJ: In 1988 at the Villa K¶rner Soul & Mod Club :: Bottrop :: Germany. I played mainly Kent Compilations, in this time I had only a handful of original 45s, I remember: The Soul City: Everybody Dance Now or Dynamics: Misery

Djing for example at:

UP-Tight Soul Weekender, Frankfurt, Germany :: Untouchables Mod Rallies, South England :: Mods A Go Go, Barcelona, Spain :: Italien Job, Rimini, Italy :: Rhythm and Soul Set, Clacton, England :: Shelter, Hamburg, Germany :: Atomic, M¼nchen, Germany :: Purple Weekend, Le³n, Spain :: R&B weekend, Perpingan, France :: Sinful, Goteborg, Sweden :: and more

Club nights: I run the german blowup club which held regular nights in Germany in the ruhr-area. Actual start a new Soul Club, call ONE ROOM PARADISE (see: https://www.blowupclub.de)

Fave spins at the moment:

• The Districts - One Lover - Nile
  • Guitar Ray - Wreak my Live - Shagg
  • Tobi Lark - Sweep it Out In the Shed - Topper
  • B.J. Thoams - Keep It Up - Joed
  • Spencer Wiggins - Lonley Man - Goldwax
  • The Girls - The Hurt's Still Here - Memphis

Edited by little-stevie

Here is a brief profile of my special guest for Saturday...Michael as been a dj on the scene in Europe for many years and also over here in the main room Cleethorpes this year..

Great guy, he'll go down a storm for you and I would be up there to support him if i didn't have Bidds on the same night Stevie.

Please say hello to him for me and tell him I look forward to seeing him at the Rhythm & Soul Set Reunion in Brum on July 22nd.

Regards

Mace.

Cheers Mace

Michael is a great guy and a dear friend,i will pass on your best wishes...Send me the details for Rhythm and soul,i will feature it on the website..All the best for Sat

Hope to make this one, missed the last, and believe it was mega...will be down a little later after my trip over to Cheshire for The Three Greyhounds.....Should be a top night .......Tony :yes:

Guest dundeedavie

IF ANYONES GOING TO 'BASICS' R&B ALLDAYER AT 'THE SPIDERS WEB' IN EDINBURGH THE FOLLOWING SATURDAY ..I'LL BE PLAYING THERE !! CONTACT US IF YOU FANCY IT !! OR IF YOUR GONNA BE THERE PLEASE SAY HELLO !!!!!! :yes: I'LL BE ON BETWEEN 5 & 6 IN THE AFTERNOON APPROX !!!

no approx involved chris , i get everyone marching in time and on in time , no laidback nonsense here ya know :yes:

no approx involved chris , i get everyone marching in time and on in time , no laidback nonsense here ya know :yes:
Hearing you loud and clear Davie ..we'll be there early ..banging on the door !!!!! :yes:

Hope to be at S.O.N this week having missed last one as we were partying hard in Sunny Dublin !!!!!

Hi Steve

Just spoke to Sarah & we are both planning to go on Saturday, I've drawn the short straw & am driving.

We should be there early doors.

If Harry asks the cars full :thumbsup:

Kirstyx

Guest ang b

Hi Mark .... you can't miss Steve .... he's the Nordic blonde God by the bar!! :P

Look forward to having you join us ..... i know you'll do great .... now how good are you at doing the splits?

Cos standards are high at Soul or Nothing .... :yes:

that pictures blush.gif brilliant can you do one on a flying carpet with paul hamer riding shotgun both dressed as hinge and bracket

Hi Mark .... you can't miss Steve .... he's the Nordic blonde God by the bar!! :yes:

Cos standards are high at Soul or Nothing .... :yes:

Unfortunately my splits days have long since gone due to the spinal (I can hear Kirsty moaning at me already writing this like she did at the Wilton) problem, but I'll keep the tempo up if they like that sort of thing?

Thanks for the support I am looking forward to it and hope my so-called mates will support us (in more ways than one) by coming. I know Mouse wants to get over and if the Soul Up North crew knows what's good for them they'll get their arses over there too.

Just thought I've never d.j.'d in Manchester unless you class (I do) the two records I played at the 1st Rarest Of The Rare Ritz nighters for Ady Croasdell whilst he relieved himself of a turd. In fact the North West has always eluded me regards d.j.ing. Was once booked by Pete Hollander to do a nighter in Bury but the place closed done the month I was due on (and no one told me until a week before)!

Anyway back to sorting out some vinyl (records) to play - I'll probably be on first now and no one will hear the one's I choose to play, still it gets me out the house.

Mark

Unfortunately my splits days have long since gone due to the spinal (I can hear Kirsty moaning at me already writing this like she did at the Wilton) problem, but I'll keep the tempo up if they like that sort of thing?

Thanks for the support I am looking forward to it and hope my so-called mates will support us (in more ways than one) by coming. I know Mouse wants to get over and if the Soul Up North crew knows what's good for them they'll get their arses over there too.

Just thought I've never d.j.'d in Manchester unless you class (I do) the two records I played at the 1st Rarest Of The Rare Ritz nighters for Ady Croasdell whilst he relieved himself of a turd. In fact the North West has always eluded me regards d.j.ing. Was once booked by Pete Hollander to do a nighter in Bury but the place closed done the month I was due on (and no one told me until a week before)!

Anyway back to sorting out some vinyl (records) to play - I'll probably be on first now and no one will hear the one's I choose to play, still it gets me out the house.

Mark

Afternoon Mark,

Hey you can moan and look miserable all you like on Saturday, as unfortunately I am stuck at home with the kids :angry:

Hope you get em up and dancin :yes: And have a great time in the process

And go on SMILE you know you can if you try :yes:

See you at Wilton?

It's ok Mark .... doing the splits aren't a requirement at SoN .... !

Don't worry about being on first .... the 'toe rag' spots (as Karl calls them) are strictly reserved for us residents ....

Looks like it's gonna be a cracker ... CAN'T WAIT :yes:

Cheers Mace

Michael is a great guy and a dear friend,i will pass on your best wishes...Send me the details for Rhythm and soul,i will feature it on the website..All the best for Sat

steve, have decided i am coming over to this on saturday..will be good to see ya :(

Thought i'd just post DJ times for tomorrow night .... gonna be a cracker :P

8pm..................Michael Wink

8.30.................Neil Gibson

9.30.................Karl Rhodes

9.50.................Jumpin Joan

10.10................Michael Wink

10.30................Mark Hanson

11.30................Karl Rhodes

12.10................Michael Wink

12.50................Paul Sadot

1.35.................Adam Leaver

2.20.................Jumpin Joan

3am..................Close.....

Thought i'd just post DJ times for tomorrow night .... gonna be a cracker :thumbsup:

8pm..................Michael Wink

8.30.................Neil Gibson

9.30.................Karl Rhodes

9.50.................Jumpin Joan

10.10................Michael Wink

10.30................Mark Hanson

11.30................Karl Rhodes

12.10................Michael Wink

12.50................Paul Sadot

1.35.................Adam Leaver

2.20.................Jumpin Joan

3am..................Close.....

Hi Joan,

Sorry but I can't make it on saturday. I've sent Stevie a text to explain. I had the weekend from hell last week. Car broke down at Lifeline, cost me £350 :D to get it back home. And the bill for the repair, £1200. :D And it won't be ready till monday, so I'm grounded this weekend. :angry:

See you soon I hope, have a great night. Phil. xxx

Hi Joan,

Sorry but I can't make it on saturday. I've sent Stevie a text to explain. I had the weekend from hell last week. Car broke down at Lifeline, cost me £350 :lol: to get it back home. And the bill for the repair, £1200. whistling.gif And it won't be ready till monday, so I'm grounded this weekend. :angry:

See you soon I hope, have a great night. Phil. xxx

Good to see the site back up..All the posts/reviews and playlists have been lost..Will try and get djs to post them again....Back in June for another session..Call me for for any more info..

Soul Or Nothing... Manchester....

Saturday....3rd June.. 8pm to 3am..

£5 members £6 others...

email us for free membership..

Aqua Bar...opp g-mex behind the hacienda,100 yards from Deansgate Station.100 yards from the Ritz..

Guest Djs..

Wayne Dearman

Big Phil.....Soul Salvation

Pete Griffin..

Steve Thomas

Resident djs..

Jumpin Joan,,

Karl Rhodes..

Adam Leaver.

style..

rare 60s/70s northern soul,crossover,big beat ballads,RnB....etc.. etc...

details..www.cooloff.net..mob..07752084878

email...stevecato64@yahoo.co.uk

Good to see the site back up..All the posts/reviews and playlists have been lost..Will try and get djs to post them again....Back in June for another session..Call me for for any more info

Here's my playlist once again in label order:

01; Falcons - Love Look In Her Eyes - Big Wheel

02; Gerri Taylor - Empty Arms & Bitter Tears - Constellation

03; Steelers - Just Beginning To Love You - Crash

04; Marshall & The Chi-Lites - Price Of Love - Dakar (Request For Karl Rhodes)

05; Big Don's Rebellion - It Was True - Ethon

06; Little John - Just Wait & See - Gogate (old Sonny O'Dell/ Jimmie Raye C/U)

07; Matt Lucas - Shake It - Golden World (Unissued) (First time out - same backing as Backstreet)

08; Volumes - That Same Old Feeling - Impact (Request For Steve Cato & John Rhys)

09; Ernie & Ed - Indication - Jay Boy UK

10; Willie Hatcher - Head Over Heels - King

11; Charles Spurling - She Cried Just A Minute - King

12; Don & Juan - All Thats Missing Is You - Mala

13; Aspirations - I Want To Be Free - Peaches

14; Royal Esquires - Ain't Gonna Run - Prix (HSI) (Old Embers C/U for Keb Darge)

15; Locations - Mister Diamond Man - Ron Paul

16; Sammy Bryant Group - Grapevine - Roulette (Old Guy Hennigan spin)

17; Caressors - I Can't Stay Away - Ru-Jac (Request For Colin & Shirley - who didn't turn up!)

18; Soul Brothers Inc. - Teardrops - Salem  (Request For Karl Rhodes)

19; Enjoyables - Shame - Shrine (Unissued vocal overdub version)

20; Jim & Lee - Let Go Baby - Smash (Request For Mickey)

21; Collection & The Civics - I'll Be There - Soul Train (Virtue Acetate - Covered as The Neptunes)

22; Dramatics - All Because Of You - Sport (Request)

23; Van McCoy & Friends - Ain't Got No Love - SSS International LP (Request For John May - Old Chris Bartley spin for Guy Hennigan)

24; Lonette McKee - Do To Me - Sussex (Request for Karl Rhodes' Misses)

25; Jackie Follett - I Am What I Am - Verve Forecast (Old George Sharp spin / Barrie Waddington discovery)

26; Big Ella - It Takes A Lot Of Loving - Vogue (French)

Mark Hanson

Good to see the site back up..All the posts/reviews and playlists have been lost..Will try and get djs to post them again....Back in June for another session..Call me for for any more info..

Soul Or Nothing... Manchester....

Saturday....3rd June.. 8pm to 3am..

£5 members £6 others...

email us for free membership..

Aqua Bar...opp g-mex behind the hacienda,100 yards from Deansgate Station.100 yards from the Ritz..

Guest Djs..

Wayne Dearman

Big Phil.....Soul Salvation

Pete Griffin..

Steve Thomas

Resident djs..

Jumpin Joan,,

Karl Rhodes..

Adam Leaver.

style..

rare 60s/70s northern soul,crossover,big beat ballads,RnB....etc.. etc...

details..www.cooloff.net..mob..07752084878

email...stevecato64@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Steve

Sorry I can't make the June event as it clashes with the Leicester nighter and I have to be there to help my mate out.

Let me know how things go and I hope to be there again soon. I'll no doubt see you next Friday at the Wilton.

Mark

Great set Mark, The Van McCoy track sounded great, as did the rest of your spot, GREAT set mate..... :thumbsup:

Absolutely ... you played some fantastic tunes i hadn't heard in years ... sounded brill

Big thanks to all the guests ... Neil Gibson, Michael ... well impressed, Mark ..... great stuff! :lol:

Residents ...Adam, Paul and Karl .... top as usual ... love playing with you lot :lol::P

Ayway .. here's my humble offering .... well .. what i can remember of it anyway ...

KENNI LEWIS - WHATS HER NAME - BUDDAH

SOUL CHARGERS - MY HEART BEATS FOR YOU - AMERICAN

HUNS REVIEW - DON'T MAKE ME LOVE YOU - SORRO

VICKIE STYLES - TEARS WON'T STOP FALLING - O DEX

TOMORROWS MEN - WHO'S THAT LADY - CONGRESS

MIL EVANS - THINGS WON'T BE THE SAME - CONSTELLATION

BUDDY LAMP - SAVE YOUR LOVE - WHEELSVILLE

HEARTBREAKERS - IVE GOT TO FACE IT - DERBY CITY

GEORGE HOBSON - LET IT BE REAL - SOUN CITY

MASQUERADERS - HOW - LA BEAT

FIESTAS - THINK SMART - OLD TOWN

OZZ & SPERLINGS - SOMEBODY TO LOVE - MIOB