Removing Tape Residue From Vinyl

steephill

Got a 45 in the mail today,and due to bad packaging a piece of tape got stuck on the outer edge and intro of the record,leaving tape residue/glue on the vinyl.How do I safely remove this tape residue without damaging the vinyl? Would pure Isopropanyl do the trick?

Thanks.

Social source share

How would you mix petrol fluid and water? 50/50 okay? Thanks.

No i mean't use it pure

just put fluid on the area what's got residue on let it soak in and wipe of the record

if the fluid gets on label don't panic it will dry out with no staining on the label ok

hope this helps you Steephill

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Social source share

No i mean't use it pure

just put fluid on the area what's got residue on let it soak in and wipe of the record

if the fluid gets on label don't panic it will dry out with no staining on the label ok

hope this helps you Steephill

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Thanks Kev,will buy lighter fluid tomorrow and do as advised,thanks again for good help!

Social source share

you can also use goo gone which is made for removing adhesives. safe on styrene or vinyl. also removes stickers on the label. looks like it stains the label but it evaporates after like 12 hours.

isopropyl won't do anything bad, it usually just won't work.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So the wash up liquid will dissolve adhesive goo caused by tape residue?

It always depends on the specific composition of the glue. Most will become like putty in warm water - and the soap suds helps remove residue. Isopropyl alcohol is also a very good cleaning fluid. Couldn't say if oe was better thane other - it all depends on the glue/residue.

Give them both a trial and see what works best in this specific situation.

Social source share

So lighter fluid won`t damage the vinyl when used (carefully) in its pure form directly onto the vinyl (as opposed to styrene?) Sorry,but I have to be 100% certain before I do anything on this record...Thanks again guys!

it won't damage it, but if you have some garbage throwaway records to test on you can try that first.

for the record, in order to be absolutely sure that goo gone doesn't damage 45s i poured some on a styrene 45 and vinyl 45 and left it sitting for a week. the fumes are pretty noxious and i had to move the records to another room after a day. after i wiped off what was remaining (i put enough on that it didn't evaporate in a week and left an ugly mess on the record) both looked and played the same.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!