Baby Take A Chance On Me - Jack Montgomery

Guest keithh

I bought this blind in the mid 70s from Soul Bowl, because it sounded up my street, and how very right they were. However it has always puzzled me somewhat, as it has Detroit pedigree but is such an untypical Detroit sound, especially the great horns. I wondered if the producers/arrangers liked the sound and success that Stax were having, and wanted to try something in that vein. I would be interested if anyone has any knowledge or views on this.

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Yes. Don Juan Mancha produced all 4 cuts at the same session, probably at United Sound. The artist was Marvin Jones. What a voice he had. It was a shame that he didn't record more and have a strong singing career.

Anyone know whatever happened to Marvin Jones then?

Any unissued stuff ever get un-earthed?

Social source share

There is his last record on Austen's, recorded without the involvement of Don Mancha and co. A very different kind of record, maybe closer to folk than to soul, so perhaps he just never saw himself as a straight ahead R&B singer.

I like the Austen's 45 a lot even though I can see why others are lukewarm on it but it's a shame he never recorded any more material. His voice was magnificent.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Died. he had bad diabetes as well and lost a leg with it.

Steve, thanks. That rings a bell. I was begining to think I'd dreampt it but I have for the last hour been trawling the net for a link about Montgomery. Try as I might I can't find it at all. It was an interview.possibly around 4 years ago with someone (well known) maybe Steve Mancha or maybe not as I just can't remember. It's definitely not the Dave Rimmer Don Mancha interview, it was after that. Montgomery was this persons brother-in-law or something like that. It ended with him stating Montgomery didn't look after himself very well (diabetes?) and they were in the car when Montgomery started talking really strange about death etc. Next day he was found dead with shotgun wounds.

All very vague I'm afraid but I distinctly remember reading it. Wish I could find the link.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Thanks Steve, I still can't find it and I'm sure at one time I put the link up here in SS.

Ah well, probably dead link by now anyway

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert