Buying From Us What's Going On With Customs Charges?

Not as far as I can see. It still seems to be an opt in.

I would never use it, regardless of cost, which is a good enough reason. If EBay initiated it and are running it it's got to be a total screw up, and when it goes pear shaped

you'd never get a straight answer.

I'll never become one, I don't use it enough but it may be connected to your Top Rated +ness, you have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get your 20% off.

Were they all TR+ sellers?

Thanks for the response.

With regards TR+ sellers it actually seems to be right across the board.  One seller I just looked at had a feedback score of only 20 and it goes right through to Top Rated with high feedback figures.  The funny thing is, having spent a couple of hours looking through ebay.com, it doesn't look so bad this evening, but I do think overall I've noticed a definite increase so more sellers must be opting in.  One seller I've bought off in the past now ships via GSP so maybe I'll send a message and ask what the reason is.

Social source share

Thanks for the response.

With regards TR+ sellers it actually seems to be right across the board.  One seller I just looked at had a feedback score of only 20 and it goes right through to Top Rated with high feedback figures.  The funny thing is, having spent a couple of hours looking through ebay.com, it doesn't look so bad this evening, but I do think overall I've noticed a definite increase so more sellers must be opting in.  One seller I've bought off in the past now ships via GSP so maybe I'll send a message and ask what the reason is.

I'd be interested to know what he says.

Social source share

I think the distinction should be made between Customs and Post Office charges. The recent wave of Post Office charges looks like the innovation of some bonus seeking financial director at a time when business is floundering. If the Post Office is privatised, expect the situation to worsen. In my dreams, I hope that records bought arrive in their original sleeves with 74 cent stickers on, just to remind the packet-openers that the crazy Brits really do want rubbishy 45's that are of little or no value. The insurance value of packets' contents is something completely different and I would have thought covered by any credit card purchase in the event of lost/ stolen/ damaged goods?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested to know what he says.

Sorry for the belated reply but the response from the seller took a few days then I forgot about it.  Anyway the crux of the reply from the seller was -

"Thank you, I don't know how that global stuff started...........I will try to find out thru ebay"

Which suggests it's now a default setting in ebay, which this particular seller wasn't even aware of.  This sellers listing gives his International shipping as $13 in the description but I'm looking at a record now which ebay is quoting $18 odd shipping + another $13 odd import fees.

Edited by tiberius
Social source share

Following up from the above post, in response to a question I just asked the same seller about the record I mentioned, where $13 International Shipping is stated in the description but when you try to buy the 45 it shows as approx $18 + $13, I got the following reply from the seller -

"I went in and found out that some how the global shipping preference was on yes so i just opted out of it, they said it could take 72 hours?"

It does look like a default setting in this case.  Anyhow, it didn't take 72 hours to alter in this instance, I bought the record and was charged $13 shipping.

Edited by tiberius
Social source share

Sorry for the belated reply but the response from the seller took a few days then I forgot about it.  Anyway the crux of the reply from the seller was -

"Thank you, I don't know how that global stuff started...........I will try to find out thru ebay"

Which suggests it's now a default setting in ebay, which this particular seller wasn't even aware of.  This sellers listing gives his International shipping as $13 in the description but I'm looking at a record now which ebay is quoting $18 odd shipping + another $13 odd import fees.

Must be on a different EBay then

I shipped one last week to France and one today to Germany.

No mention of The EB Great Global Balls Up -  usual shipping.

I didn't go anywhere near it to sign on / off or anything.

So they're as good at that as they are at everything else.

You do seem to be getting tracking to some countries though, so it says.

The one to France says it's in the system, but hasn't got any further than this in 9 days , so unless it wakes up if it ever gets there, it's back to ignoring the French.

Carrier:

USPS

ACCEPTEDIN TRANSITDELIVEREDimgTrckIntransit.jpg

Processed Through Sort Facility

Aug-31-13, 13:23 PM

Edited by Mr Smithy
Social source share

I hardly buy any records from US now purely because of VAT & Customs charges and excessive US postal costs. If US dealers are getting worried about sales from the UK then drop your bloody prices .......

Social source share

The one to France says it's in the system, but hasn't got any further than this in 9 days , so unless it wakes up if it ever gets there, it's back to ignoring the French.

Carrier:

USPS

I've had this tracking on some items but they never update progress after the package has left the U.S.

Social source share

I hardly buy any records from US now purely because of VAT & Customs charges and excessive US postal costs. If US dealers are getting worried about sales from the UK then drop your bloody prices .......

Not bought a record from the USA now for over 2 years. Was getting some good reggae bargains, especially off Ebay Canada. Not any more.

Social source share

I've had this tracking on some items but they never update progress after the package has left the U.S.

It always tracked to the port of departure but now it is supposed to tell you if/when it is delivered

https://community.ebay.com/t5/International-Trading/WHAT-IS-E-DELCON-SERVICE/qaq-p/5997475

So far that package info hasn't changed, so who knows :g:

Social source share

Must be on a different EBay then

I shipped one last week to France and one today to Germany.

No mention of The EB Great Global Balls Up - usual shipping.

I didn't go anywhere near it to sign on / off or anything.

So they're as good at that as they are at everything else.

Carrier:

USPS

That's exactly the same status as my late package .

Starting to think ebay have underestimated how big a operation they've undertaken and basically they've forgotten that good old saying .." If its not broke ,don't try to mend it " !

Social source share

Starting to think ebay have underestimated how big a operation they've undertaken and basically they've forgotten that good old saying .." If its not broke ,don't try to mend it " !

Or there is the other simpler opinion.

There are 5 people at the top making policy and worrying where their next yacht is coming from, and 20,000 minimum wage, 20 year old college jobsworths implementing them. Corporate US at it's finest.

Social source share

Not bought a record from the USA now for over 2 years. Was getting some good reggae bargains, especially off Ebay Canada. Not any more.

Iwas tempted at a buy last night until I see the prepaid customs etc charges so gave that a miss.

I honestly think all chances of good cheap tunes and bargains from abroad are over now. Good thing for UK dealers they been getting my few pennies lately

Social source share

hi two thoughts on this one a fact one a question , fact you are all being hit with customs charges from America etc as so much stuff is being shipped in from hong kong china at no value tney are clamping down on other areas to make the short fall up that's a fact(my daughter can get phone covers from china including post for 99p what does it cost to post a letter in the uk we are paying for these cheap imports no vat or post office charges there to cheap, secondly why pay these post office charges you go to boots and they collect vat from you on the bill but they don't say oh sorry I must add on vat collection fees why does not somebody challenge these charges they are collecting the fees for someone else but charging you , it does not make sense someone challenge

just a thought don't shoot me down if you don't agree

Social source share

Good news: It must have arrived, he left fabbo feedback. :thumbup:

Same old news: According to EB / USPS tracking it's still in transit. :g:

Good luck Nev. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Good news: It must have arrived, he left fabbo feedback. :thumbup:

Same old news: According to EB / USPS tracking it's still in transit. :g:

Good luck Nev. :thumbsup:

Sadly my package hasn't arrived and iI've now been issued with a full refund from PayPal .

Cold comfort really ,because it was worth a lot more ,but at least I'm not out of pocket .

However ,today has been one of mixed fortunes ...

Just been to post office to pick up a parcel that cost me $30.99 ,but I ncurred a customs fee of £12.46 :(

As you can imagine,I was a bit disgruntled and begrudged ,but to be honest ,I never felt the need to ask seller to put a low fee .

Just got through the door and picked up a parcel that was registered mail ..clearly states on the front ,VALUE $1500 ....and its got past customs & excise unnoticed !

Amazing result :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sadly my package hasn't arrived and iI've now been issued with a full refund from PayPal .

Cold comfort really ,because it was worth a lot more ,but at least I'm not out of pocket .

However ,today has been one of mixed fortunes ...

Just been to post office to pick up a parcel that cost me $30.99 ,but I ncurred a customs fee of £12.46 :(

As you can imagine,I was a bit disgruntled and begrudged ,but to be honest ,I never felt the need to ask seller to put a low fee .

Just got through the door and picked up a parcel that was registered mail ..clearly states on the front ,VALUE $1500 ....and its got past customs & excise unnoticed !

Amazing result :)

You need to edit this post as you missed the decimal point from between the 5 and the 0.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!