Philly Re-Grooved Vol 3: More From The Master: The Tom Moulton Remixes

When we started the Philly Re-Grooved series back in 2011 it was because we had access to the Philly Groove catalogue and access to Tom Moulton. The success of ‘Philly Re-Grooved Vol 1’, then led to ‘Philly Re-Grooved Vol 2’ which then made us hassle Philadelphia International which then led to ‘Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes’ and it suddenly felt like we were really in the Philly music business for real.

So, what next? We discussed with Moulton what he wanted to do next and, almost as importantly, what multi-track tapes could we get access to? The success of the previous 3 Harmless Tom Moulton releases opened a lot of doors and suddenly multi-tracks that had been under lock and key for the last four decades suddenly seemed tantalizingly close. So we started looking at a lot of stuff, some easier than others but, nonetheless, each and every track was hand-picked by the master.

The result? Quite simply, one of the greatest albums we’ve ever heard. So good, we made it a double and added a couple more recent Philly recorded goodies for good measure.

So get ready for a musical experience you won’t ever forget…………

Philly Re-Grooved Volume 3: More From The Master: The Tom Moulton Remixes

PhillyReGrooved3Pack_zpsa7f5e220.jpg?t=1

CD1

1.   Could It Be I’m Falling In Love - The Spinners
 Tom Moulton Remix 6.37

2. I’m Doing Fine Now - New York City
 Tom Moulton Remix 8.18

3. Got To Get You Back - Sons Of Robin Stone
 Tom Moulton Remix 5.45

4. Look Me Up - Blue Magic
 Tom Moulton Remix 10.24

5. I Just Can't Say Goodbye - Philly Devotions
 Tom Moulton Remix 6.42

6. Standing Right Here - Melba Moore
 Tom Moulton Remix 9.00

7. When The Game Is Played On You - Bettye Swann
 Tom Moulton Remix 10.27

8. I Can't Fight Your Love - The Modulations
 Tom Moulton Remix 8.28

Bonus Track:

9. The Way You Love Me - Marc Evans
 Exclusive Tom Moulton Philly Re-Grooved 2013 Remix 12.54

CD2

1.  Be Thankful For What You've Got - William DeVaughn
 Tom Moulton Remix 9.19

2. One Of A Kind (Love Affair) - The Spinners
 Tom Moulton Remix 5.49

3. Quick, Fast In A Hurry - New York City
 Tom Moulton Remix 5.15

4. Making Love Ain't No Fun - The Ebonys
 Tom Moulton Remix 8.14

5. Babe - Loose Change
 Tom Moulton Remix 8.06

6. Jack In The Box - David Morris Jr.
 Tom Moulton Remix 7.39

7. Kiss My Love Goodbye - Bettye Swann
 Tom Moulton Remix 8.17

8.  Hold Back The Night - The Trammps
 Tom Moulton Remix 6.29

Bonus Track:

9. Soul Recession - Double Exposure
 Exclusive Tom Moulton Philly Re-Grooved 2013 Remix 9.10

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AR1VU06/ref=s9_simh_bw_p15_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1AK0BMR3NNJKYRMQTFN5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=395707547&pf_rd_i=229816

Out on the 13/05/13.

Looks like a lovely summer folks!

Ian D :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

the edits are on you tube btw :)

I know. I put 'em there. :lol:

They're specially edited for a quick fix. But the real beauty is what's contained on those tapes. Blue Magic's "Look Me Up" seems to metamorphise into "Strange" by the Tradewinds (which always was MFSB to my ears). And did that riff on the Salsoul Orchestra's "Dance A Little Bit Closer" actually start with the Modulations' "I Can't Fight Your Love"? Questions, questions.....

Social source share

Promos just arrived. What a fantastic package this is! Copies will be mailed to radio tomorrow and press on Monday. I think this release will tick a lot of boxes in a lot of different areas. Hopefully it'll be one of the soundtracks to the summer!

Pretty staggering that it's already Top 10 in Amazon's 'Dance & Electronic' chart and the 345th best-selling album in the UK and no one's even had a promo yet! Just wait till radio and press kick in.

Also, a quick tip: it's currently a mere £9.00 including delivery on Amazon which is a ridiculously great price. This will jump to a more realistic £12-£15 pretty soon as the dealer price is £7.50 so Amazon aren't making jack on this. Right now it's a steal! Just saying like......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philly-Re-Grooved-Moulton-Remixes-Master/dp/B00AR1VU06/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1366313246&sr=1-1&keywords=philly+re-grooved+3

Get in there!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

a quick tip: it's currently a mere £9.00 including delivery on Amazon which is a ridiculously great price. This will jump to a more realistic £12-£15 pretty soon

Right now it's a steal!   Just saying like......     Get in there!

Ian, took your advice and just ordered my copy.

Was gonna wait till it was actually released but, being a Yorkshireman, I had to jump right in at that price. 

Social source share

Ian, took your advice and just ordered my copy.

Was gonna wait till it was actually released but, being a Yorkshireman, I had to jump right in at that price. 

Yep, good move! There is no way they'll be able to maintain that price for much longer mate. Even Amazon have to make a profit LOL.

I'll send you a promo for Bettye Swann too. I think she'll be knocked out when she hears how Moulton has crafted her 2 killer Atlantic tracks. Just stunning. Both of 'em!

Social source share

It looks like a lot of hard work has gone into this. I can't imagine!

No one ever said A&Ring Tom Moulton would be easy.  :thumbsup:

However, in reality, it's all the other stuff that's difficult. Clearances, legals, approvals, administration etc, etc. Each one of these albums takes a year to put together minimum.

But, oh so worth it when it all culminates in a perfect package. This album is shaping up to be an absolute monster. 150 promos went out today to all the key radio and press, so expect to hear "Soul Recession" on the radio from tomorrow.

A lovely way to ease into spring!

Social source share

Looks great Ian. I didn't really like the first two volumes but this is much more up my street.

Well on this one we licensed from a wider range of sources, so it has a much wider range than the previous two. Mind you, we had to follow 'Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes' so the bar was set pretty high for this one!

Social source share

Just got this message from Amazon ...........

Unfortunately, the release date for the item listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:
Various Artists "Philly Re-Grooved 3: The Tom Moulton Remixes, More From The Master !"
Estimated arrival date: May 23 2013 - May 25 2013

Social source share

Just got this message from Amazon ...........

Unfortunately, the release date for the item listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Various Artists "Philly Re-Grooved 3: The Tom Moulton Remixes, More From The Master !"

Estimated arrival date: May 23 2013 - May 25 2013

Me Too

Steve

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody tax dodgers are at it again: :sleep3:

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Various Artists "Philly Re-Grooved 3: The Tom Moulton Remixes, More From The Master!"

Estimated arrival date: June 17 2013 - June 17 2013

Social source share

I'm happy to say that we will hit the 17/06/13!

Licensing issues got ironed out by 10.00pm tonight. It's been a long hard road. But we got there in the end. I'm so proud of this package and so relieved it's finally ready to go go go.....

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Mine arrived today but only had a chance to play a couple of tracks so far - New York City - I'm Doing Fine Now- being one and worth the money alone.. Looks like another brilliant compiliation MR D.and quite rightly deserves to be in the Top 40

Steve

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Hadn't come across 'Philly Regrooved' until a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for something to download for the hols, and got to say they are absolutely outstanding, particularly '3' which has some amazing stuff (18 tracks in all).

Eight quite glorious minutes of Bettye Swann 'Kiss my love goodbye', six of Spinners 'Could it be I'm falling in love'; ten of Blue Magic 'Look me up'. Jaw-droppingly brilliant re-working of The Trammps 'Hold back the night' (I defy anyone not to air guitar through the extended instrumental section) plus many more treats, all very skilfully done and with pristine sound quality. Would have loved to have been in the studio when the masters of these were dusted off.

Not got Vol 2 yet but Vol 1 (despite less tracks) is worth the price alone for the 5.16 version of Finishing Touch 'Second Best (is never enough) - the aural equivalent of full cream milk!

Better late than never - if you haven't checked these out yet I can't recommend them highly enough

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Chris..you are right . There would be no dust on 'Soul Recession' by 'Double Exposure' though (well, not quite yet). That was recorded in 2008 and features original Philly musicians like Bobby Eli, Earl Young, Dennis Harris, Jimmie Williams (who will be on tour with The O' Jays at The O2 Centre in London, and came up with the bass line for 'Ain't no stoppin us now'), T G Conway who wrote 'Ten Percent' for example, and Rikki Hicks on percussion (who is no longer with us). Rikki played that famous percussion intro on 'I Love music' by The O' Jays too! I have just been playing it in my car along with 'Be thankful for what you've got'!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!