Roburt

News: 20 Feet From Stardom - Film Info

News/Article/Feature Highlight:

Out in the US in about a months time this documentary features some of the greatest backing singers ever !!!!<br />It concentrates on the careers of the likes of Merry Clayton, Darlene Love, Claudia Lennear (Ikette), Tata Vega, Lisa Fischer, etc.

View full article

Anybody aware of any UK screenings? Just looked at Nottingham Broadway and Sheffield Showroom, couldn't see anything?

The Waters also get a mention elsewhere as being featured in the film.

A 'still' from the documentary (Darlene Love & more) ........

post-22122-0-91886200-1368309218_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt

They seem to have selected mainly black female backing singers who have gone out on tour behind rock & pop acts (though Stevie Wonder figures a lot in the film but he had a massive pop profile as well as a soul scene presence).

So I think studio backing groups such as those that Dave mentions will get less of a mention as I believe there are trying to pull in audiences that have an interest in the likes of Bruce Springsteen, the Stones, Sting, Elton John, etc.

2nd mention in a thread here for Bruce Springsteen in a couple of days !!! The guys 'soul profile' is on the rise !!

Edited by Roburt

on the subject of backing vocals  on "i got the fever" by the prophets/creation the backing vocals are as strong as an ox.i wonder how many singers over the years have been upstaged by superior backing vocalists

on the subject of backing vocals  on "i got the fever" by the prophets/creation the backing vocals are as strong as an ox.i wonder how many singers over the years have been upstaged by superior backing vocalists

Most of the above mentioned rock and pop acts I would imagine. :wicked:

Watched this on DVD tonight and loved every minute of it. An astonishing array of talent on display and lots of snippets of information that thrilled the anorak in me ! Well worth a watch in comparison to much of the dross out there.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.