Live Sixties Soul Acts Divide Opinion

..Over the last few weeks I have had the misfortune to watch so-called celebrity football matches - people well past their best performing in front of undiscriminatiing audiences, often for 'a good cause'. Any comparisons here with the soul scene?

..I am not really a fan of the those events that dig up old names from the past and invite them to perform live. I accept for some its great nostalgia. I accept there can be a buzz if it all works well. Nothing wrong with being in the same room as a great from the scene's heydays. Nothing wrong with a memorbale photo either.

But are they good enough, can they still hack it and are they better than the records they made famous?

Maybe we are too polite to the past and tolerate acts that are not up to it now. It could be argued that live shows turn the scene in on itself, and are just another excuse for nostalgia and promotional greed.

Important Heritage or Old Tat? - You decide?

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Goldwax

..Over the last few weeks I have had the misfortune to watch so-called celebrity football matches - people well past their best performing in front of undiscriminatiing audiences, often for 'a good cause'. Any comparisons here with the soul scene?

..I am not really a fan of the those events that dig up old names from the past and invite them to perform live. I accept for some its great nostalgia. I accept there can be a buzz if it all works well. Nothing wrong with being in the same room as a great from the scene's heydays. Nothing wrong with a memorbale photo either.

But are they good enough, can they still hack it and are they better than the records they made famous?

Maybe we are too polite to the past and tolerate acts that are not up to it now. It could be argued that live shows turn the scene in on itself, and are just another excuse for nostalgia and promotional greed.

There is no question that the various underground scenes and subcultures that have evolved in this country over the last 40 odd years have kept 'the music' alive but we do tend to overlook / ignore where it came from time to time so for me any connection between the scene and the REAL artists is a good thing. We will never see them in their prime but would anyone who was fortunate enough to see the smile on Sidney Barnes face a few years ago at the Dome begrudge him of that evening of overdue recognition?

Social source share

If you were fortunate enough to see the Precisions there would be no need for this question, they were simply stunning. Probably the best live soul act I've seen, and I've seen a few.

Really looking forward to Carl Carlton and Darrow Fletcher, both relatively young compared to many soul acts.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

If you were fortunate enough to see the Precisions there would be no need for this question, they were simply stunning. Probably the best live soul act I've seen, and I've seen a few.

Really looking forward to Carl Carlton and Darrow Fletcher, both relatively young compared to many soul acts.

==============

The only one I've really loved in recent years was Barbara Lynn. Most don't do much for me, nothing to do with their voices, just think they make a nighter kind of dis-jointed. Just my opinion

Going to see them outside an northern event would probably provoke a completely different reaction on my part :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The best live soul act is Daptone. Head and shoulders above anyone else on the planet.

The live bands that are used on the UK soul scene are quite shocking compared to the majestic might of the Daptone Super Soul Review.

The old singers that perform at the weekenders etc would be better served by a band that does not include a drummer who reads his beats off sheet music.

Get Daptone in playing all the backing to the well known soul legends and add Sharon Jones into the mix to control proceedings and maybe Lee Fields, and the UK soul scene would not know what has hit it. :(

That would send weekenders to a different level, trust me. :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

The best live soul act is Daptone. Head and shoulders above anyone else on the planet.

The live bands that are used on the UK soul scene are quite shocking compared to the majestic might of the Daptone Super Soul Review.

The old singers that perform at the weekenders etc would be better served by a band that does not include a drummer who reads his beats off sheet music.

Get Daptone in playing all the backing to the well known soul legends and add Sharon Jones into the mix to control proceedings and maybe Lee Fields, and the UK soul scene would not know what has hit it. :(

============

If the weekender was all live bands etc, I could probably go with it, but all the setting up of equipment at a nighter, followed by all the other sort of rigmarole, just slows things down IMO.

Normally go into another room when live acts are on :(

Social source share

James have you ever herd of Speedometer? they are playing at my friends Full Fat & Funky night in Northampton, listening to them they sound quite tight, a full 9 piece band

any one interested https://www.daddyvinyl.com/mp3/workitoutmp3.mp3 is one of there tracks might be a bit too funk for a few :(

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Guest Simon

Most don't do much for me, nothing to do with their voices, just think they make a nighter kind of dis-jointed. Just my opinion

Going to see them outside an northern event would probably provoke a completely different reaction on my part :thumbsup:

This i agree with entirely, at NS dos they kill the atmosphere & it is hard to get it back afterwards, however for instance i saw Lou Pride at a non NS night last year, Just Lou & a warm up act, a meal & a couple of glasses of vino & it was a top night, if he'd have been playing at an NS do i wouldn't have bothered.

Simon

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James have you ever herd of Speedometer? they are playing at my friends Full Fat & Funky night in Northampton, listening to them they sound quite tight, a full 9 piece band

any one interested https://www.daddyvinyl.com/mp3/workitoutmp3.mp3 is one of there tracks might be a bit too funk for a few :(

Southend boys. I've DJed for them several times at the old "Deepfunk Live" events in London a few years ago.

Nice stuff, their "Speedup" is my favourate and was in my playbox for several months as a white label around 2000/2001 I think. It was quite a floor filler in London around that time. Quality Essex lads and lasses and well worth checking out :thumbsup:

Afraid they are not a country mile close to Daptone though and would not be as 'authentic' as Daptone are for presenting live soul.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

============

If the weekender was all live bands etc, I could probably go with it, but all the setting up of equipment at a nighter, followed by all the other sort of rigmarole, just slows things down IMO.

Normally go into another room when live acts are on :thumbsup:

But it would be better than the bands that are used at weekenders at the moment. To say they let the artists down is an understatement. As Chalky said the Precisions could really sing, but the band was shocking (compared to Daptone) and ruined the experience for me.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Southend boys. I've DJed for them several times at the old "Deepfunk Live" events in London a few years ago.

Nice stuff, their "Speedup" is my favourate and was in my playbox for several months as a white label around 2000/2001 I think. It was quite a floor filler in London around that time. Quality Essex lads and lasses and well worth checking out :thumbsup:

Cheers James might pop along and check them out :(

Will post something in events about there apperence, its a funk night but might be a few near the area interested :(

Back to the Daptone 'experiance' at a weekender, now dont get me wrong i totally agree with you on some of the backing groups used are not up to much, and it ruins the vision i have in my head of the artist and backing group in the studio in the 60's giving it there all (if you can see where im coming from) But what sort of costs would daptone need tocover a weekender, same mate who's putting on Speedometer, got in contact with Nicol Wills and her group they wanted £2000 + him to supply the equiptment and instruments which aint cheap, just for an hour spot :( so what would Daptone want for a whole weekend? would they be able to justisfy there costs? maybe some one the size of the Midnight Hour team might be able to cover it but not any of your other weekenders.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Cheers James might pop along and check them out :thumbsup:

Will post something in events about there apperence, its a funk night but might be a few near the area interested :(

Back to the Daptone 'experiance' at a weekender, now dont get me wrong i totally agree with you on some of the backing groups used are not up to much, and it ruins the vision i have in my head of the artist and backing group in the studio in the 60's giving it there all (if you can see where im coming from) But what sort of costs would daptone need tocover a weekender, same mate who's putting on Speedometer, got in contact with Nicol Wills and her group they wanted £2000 + him to supply the equiptment and instruments which aint cheap, just for an hour spot :( so what would Daptone want for a whole weekend? would they be able to justisfy there costs? maybe some one the size of the Midnight Hour team might be able to cover it but not any of your other weekenders.

At Prestatyn they could cover the cost, no problem (I assume :( ). But the value added to the weekender experience would be unimaginable.

Sharon Jones and The Daptone Super Soul Review:

Sharon.jpg

Oh, and I might try and get along to the Speedometer gig, I've not been to a good funk night in ages.

There is an interview and little write up about Speedometer from 200/2001 HERE at the old deepfunk.org website that is sat in cyber space not being cared for. Might be worth a read if you are interested in Speedometer anyway...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

At Prestatyn they could cover the cost, no problem (I assume unsure.gif ). But the value added to the weekender experience would be unimaginable.

Sharon Jones and The Daptone Super Soul Review:

Sharon.jpg

Oh, and I might try and get along to the Speedometer gig, I've not been to a good funk night in ages.

There is an interview and little write up about Speedometer from 200/2001 HERE at the old deepfunk.org website that is sat in cyber space not being cared for. Might be worth a read if you are interested in Speedometer anyway...

Lets hope they can i for one would be very interested in seeing a act whith a backing band with a bit of umph behind them :yes:

Sorry my mistake i can go as its this friday so will be in sunny cleethorpes :yes:

Social source share

Guest rachel

any one interested https://www.daddyvinyl.com/mp3/workitoutmp3.mp3 is one of there tracks might be a bit too funk for a few sad.gif

Not seen them live but had a couple of their singles, pretty good :yes: For some more good recent soul/funk check out the Boogaloo Investigators from Glasgow - one track here https://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/11657.html

As for the original question, not seen that many live soul acts but those I have haven't impressed me that much - I'm all for a good live singer/band but for a lot of the 60s acts would rather just hear the record as I know it.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Not seen them live but had a couple of their singles, pretty good sad.gif For some more good recent soul/funk check out the Boogaloo Investigators from Glasgow - one track here https://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/11657.html

As for the original question, not seen that many live soul acts but those I have haven't impressed me that much - I'm all for a good live singer/band but for a lot of the 60s acts would rather just hear the record as I know it.

********************************************************************************

you have to call em" the five aces" now lolol

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

seen a few acts over the and never been that impressed. however, the prestatyn live show this year was brilliant!

bettye lavette in blackpool a few years back was brilliant too sad.gif

Shane

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I thought the Five Aces was a different incarnation, or have they changed the name?

nooo the Boogaloo's are now the five aces ...the other incarnation is the bottleneckers sad.gif

Social source share

Very difficult to give a reply to sad.gif Cos being over "here" in the Uk you had to be aware of what was available with regard to live acts way back in the 60/70 era.PHILLIPE WYNN had a fabulous voice as did Leroy Stubbs alongside the 4 tops ...which one of the tops had ben shot a number of times?Al Green in 71 on his first tour of the UK fab.Back up that train LIVE ATB Steve
Social source share

I go to see a lot of live acts but normally avoid 'old' Soul acts - but recently saw Syl Johnson and Jackie Ross - who were both fantastic. Also recently caught Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham who were equally good. I think the key thing is that they have an act and a full set to present and not just one old dusty single to re-hash several times.

George Clinton in July next - three hour show with 30 muscians!!

Mike

Social source share

This i agree with entirely, at NS dos they kill the atmosphere & it is hard to get it back afterwards, however for instance i saw Lou Pride at a non NS night last year, Just Lou & a warm up act, a meal & a couple of glasses of vino & it was a top night, if he'd have been playing at an NS do i wouldn't have bothered.

Simon

'nuff said simon, i'm with you on this one. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest StoneSoul45

as a musician I found the percisions back up band amazingly, incredibly bad. If I we're an old singer and you lined up (actually from the video it looks more like propped up) these guys I would be seriously bummed out. Is there not a competent soul band in england? I agree that the dap kings are an amazing group and can really really swing, though I'm not sure they could master the subtlties of a more melodic soul style.

Social source share

Guest pendulum

The first live act i ever watched was when Geno Washington played at my old school dance in the late sixties.To be brutaly honest most of the soul singers cannot be expected to cut the mustard 40 years on and with poor backing musicians can be a recipe for disaster.

Social source share

Must say I often leave shows now with a measure of disappointmnet. In reverse order the last acts I;'ve seen were Betty Lavette who was still very good, the O'Jays who I thought were a major disappointment, Temptations a third-rate cabaret act and a pale subsititue for the orignals and Bobby Womack who was remarkable. Its now a risk business. Liek Rachel I often prefer the recordings. Daptones agree with all that's been said.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I have seen Geno Washington who was good but i also like Jimmy James. Even if no one likes him live. I always see him live and enjoy myself

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert