Local Radio And The Rare Soul Scene

I was chatting to a fellow soulie last night and found myself saying how important local radio was to me in by formative years, as a new soul fan in my late teens.

We were chatting and I recalled the weekly guest spot that soul scene legend Dave Evison used to do on Radio Derby on the Terry Christian show - remember him! (Terry not Dave  :D ).

Well, I was not even really in the Radio Derby area - so used to have nightmares just trying to tune in on a dodgy FM radio with the signal swooshing in and out - but it was worth it! 

Some of the great songs I first heard on Dave's spot remain among my top favourite sounds of all time - Fantastics - Me & You (Sound Stage 7), Howard Tate - Baby I Love You (Verve), Lou Courtney - Trying To Find My Woman (Buddah), Marvin L. Sims - Get Off My Back (Revue), Mighty Lovers - The Mighty Lover (Boo-Ga-Loo), Linda Jones & Whatnauts - I'm So Glad I Found You (Stang) - wow!

It struck me that there has been a close and special association over the years, especially in the earlier pre-internet days, between rare soul and local radio stations.

Wondered if anyone else had a similar affection to me for those old FM shows  :thumbsup: 

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I was chatting to a fellow soulie last night and found myself saying how important local radio was to me in by formative years, as a new soul fan in my late teens.

We were chatting and I recalled the weekly guest spot that soul scene legend Dave Evison used to do on Radio Derby on the Terry Christian show - remember him! (Terry not Dave  :D ).

Well, I was not even really in the Radio Derby area - so used to have nightmares just trying to tune in on a dodgy FM radio with the signal swooshing in and out - but it was worth it! 

Some of the great songs I first heard on Dave's spot remain among my top favourite sounds of all time - Fantastics - Me & You (Sound Stage 7), Howard Tate - Baby I Love You (Verve), Lou Courtney - Trying To Find My Woman (Buddah), Marvin L. Sims - Get Off My Back (Revue), Mighty Lovers - The Mighty Lover (Boo-Ga-Loo), Linda Jones & Whatnauts - I'm So Glad I Found You (Stang) - wow!

It struck me that there has been a close and special association over the years, especially in the earlier pre-internet days, between rare soul and local radio stations.

Wondered if anyone else had a similar affection to me for those old FM shows  :thumbsup: 

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Yes Richard,good call.Jerry Hipkiss (currently banging tunes out at Soul Fusion)on Severnsound here in Gloucester like almost 30 years ago,and still broadcasting to this day,Gloucesterfm.com,0800-1100 five days a week.Also Colin Day ('Dayo' on here) in 1984 on Radio Wyvern on a Saturday night...Got me collecting again,skint ever since!!What a lovely guy and a great voiceover..voice! Les Ash.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The top banana, radio soul wise, for me was gudol TrickieDickie Searling.

His Radio Hallam (Sheffield) show in the early to mid 80's was the bees' knees if you wanted to hear new releases, NS, MS, deep soul & jazzy soul each & every Saturday. His 'end of year' top 100 was always a must listen (which also usually ended up being recorded onto cassette).

It was a great loss when he had a falling out with the management at Hallam (over show content) & moved on to Red Rose up in Preston.

He would send me tapes of his new show on a pretty regular basis but it wasn't really the same.

ALSO used to listen in to Dave Evison's slot on Radio Derby (was that on a Tuesday night ?), but RS's output was the tops IMO. 

Of course, back then, Radio One just about always had a decent weekly soul show back then but that hardly ever had any NS / MS track content.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Cheers

Richard

Totally agree with you, even though he played 6 x 6 once to keep terry happy (ie- shut him up for a minute) cos mr Christian thought it was a bit like reggae ?!?!?

Luv Co - things are not the same, Channel three - sweetest thing, William bell - smiling ain't gonna be easy are 3 I remember

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!