Pye Disco Demand Label Query

Guest fanzine
Go to solution Solved by Jerry Hipkiss,

Guest fanzine

Hi people

today i was given a copy of footsee / 7 days too long pye d.d.s. 111

over the years lots of these have come into my hands

all the normal pink / red colour but this one was / is black into grey.

I have never seen this before>can anyone tell me what is going off?

cheers in advance  :)

tony

post-20002-0-46075500-1399500322_thumb.j

Edited by fanzine
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I always wondered what the deal was with black or silver text - did one come first or was it just arbitrary?

I (and probably everybody) has a mixture of both.

Never seen a black and grey label before… once again I learn something new from SS.

Social source share

I always wondered what the deal was with black or silver text - did one come first or was it just arbitrary?

I (and probably everybody) has a mixture of both.

Never seen a black and grey label before… once again I learn something new from SS.

The silver text are the originals, but about halfway through the series Pye changed their design to black text (also on their main Pye label too). From that point on, all the DDS were black text, but as some of the earlier ones were then reissued, (Frankie & Classicals, Footsie, Velvets etc.) those fell in line with the all new black text design.

I remember seeing those 79/80 grey labels, and I think Footsie was the only DDS that made it to a third release, therefore the only one to get a grey label. As before, the main label also used this grey colour, hence the Jupiter Beyond in the previous post.

I think it was a very short lived design though.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

There were also 3 different sleeves to the PDD release, the first was given away as a promotion before the record was released and the front cover had the group as "Chosen Few", when it was eventually released they overprinted "Wigans" in red to read "Wigans Chosen Few" and the final sleeve was simply "Wigans Chosen Few". I've still got the first two, but not the record!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert