Attic Club Mansfield - 5th August

Well I'm sat here at 1.45am just got home from our first proper night at the attic club.

I've got to say I'm a little bit disillusioned - we advertised this night as underplayed northern sounds and as the night progressed a fair crowd built up ( around 70 ) which looked very promising. However any atmosphere seemed to be lacking and the crowd didnt seem to want to dance to what was being played. I dont think what was played was any different to what we said was what we're about. One or two people actually criticised what was being played- I was asked what is the music policy? I replied "undeplayed northern" the response was "where did you go wrong?"

From the top of my head these are a few tracks that were played, see if you think they are overplayed sounds - honest answers appreciated

Merl-lyn - Promise

California Rock Choir - Whoever You Are

Persians - I Cant Take It Anymore

Masqueraders - Do you Love Me Baby

Wayne Cochran - I'm In trouble

Syl Johnson- Try Me

Olympics - Secret Agents

Lee Williams - Its Everything About You That I Love

James Lately - Love Friends & Money

Walter & Admirations - Man Oh Man

Fascinators - In Other Words

( the above 3 courtesy of Rob Marriott )

plus a lot of other records that i cant think of at the moment

Anyway thanks to everyone that came including a few soul sourcers!

To be fair some people said they enjoyed it, and maybe I'm overeacting a bit cos I've had some beer but because this was our first night i think that may be excusable.

Anyway the next night is 2nd Sep and we'll keep sticking to our policy of underplayed sounds even if some people think it's shit!

Sorry if this post sounds like I'm bitter thumbsup.gif

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest markmtfc

Dont go beating yourself up to much, we travelled from leeds, and both of us really enjoyed it, I thought Rob Marriotts spot was as good as i have heard in as long time. It takes a lot of courage to stand up, and play underplayed records ect ect, and if you dont get a reaction from the crowd its always hard to stick to your principles.

The venue to be fair is small, and to be honest, its hard to dance when three quarters of the crowd are on the dance floor. Well done for giving it a go m8.

PS if any promoters are reading this, and are looking for a decent dj, look no further than mr marriott, played some absoloutely belting sounds.

Ok next morning and I'm sober now so time for a more reasoned assesment.

Thats a good point about the dancefloor Mark, the capacity is 70ish and thats about how many was in so from an attendance point of view it was great - we couldnt have asked for anything better. However there isnt alot of standing room around the floor so some people were stood on it as you say.

Secondly about the dance floor reaction, we've always said that we wouldnt play safe just to get people dancing but I didnt realise how hard this is! I found myself wishing a few more would get up and get an atmosphere going. In my opinion the music played deserved a better reaction like Mark says Robs spot was top class.

As far as people criticising goes, well that's lesson no1 for novice promoters - you cant please everyone, lesson learned!

I'll put a more detailed playlist up when I get time and let the music do the talking for me thumbsup.gif

Thanks again to Mark, Frankie and everyone else who came :thumbsup:

Steve , go easy m8 . It was great , you did brilliant and to be honest HOW THE HELL DO YOU FOLLOW A SET LIKE ROB MARRIOTT, it was sublime. The Inticers, The Gallahads and so on. I for one will be back next month .

Edited by MAK

Had an excellent although short lived night and I know next Month.If you keep the same sound and ideas people will get to dance,If they want to,

Agree and posted elsewhere that Rob Marriott after quite a few years away from the scene

his last gig was at Leicester about 6 years ago played a set of excellent Soul music and think Rob was a little unsettled by the lack of dancers himself,but he ploughed with Quality soul,and I for one enjoyed his spot along with one or two more.

Cant make the next 2 as have previous bookings at other venues east coast way

but hope to revisit later in the year

thanks for a great welcome from the guys at the Attic Club,always welcome at Sweet Soul lads

see you soon

shades.gif:wicked:

A few days gone by now so I've been able to take a calmer look at things.

My first post must read like I spat my dummy out but when you spend months planning something and spend quite a considerable financial outlay, its a bit hard to take when people have a go halfway through the night without giving it a proper chance.

Anyway not going to go on about that anymore.

The attendance was excellent which ironically caused one of the problems, due to where we had the decks set up there wasnt a lot of standing room so people ended up standing on the dance floor which in turn made it hard for people to dance and get the atmosphere going. We'll be addressing this for the next one.

The other thing thats really struck me is that everyone will have a different take on what you describe as your music policy- we've tried to make this as clear as possible but problems can arise with people hearing about us through different means ie this website, flyers, word of mouth etc all I can do is to put the playlists up so people can make their own minds up so heres a few more:

Lee Fields - Take Me Back

Debonaires - Hows your new love treating you

Joyce Bennett - New Boy

Ethics - I want my baby back

Rose Batiste -- I miss my baby

Orlons - Envy

Bobby Bland - Gettin used to the blues

" " - These hands

Lilian Dupree - Shield around my heart

Herb Ward - Strange change

Jean Wells - With my love

Gallahads - I've got to find a way

Jnr McCants - Try me for your new love

Margie Joseph - One More chance

Fabulous Peps - My love looks good on you

Inez & Charlie Foxx - No stranger to love

Amazers - Without a warning

Magnificent Men - I've Got news

Flaming Embers - Lets have a love in

Little Johnny Blair - Mommas gone

TSU toronados - What good am I?

We did have some good feedback on the night and and also from people on here ( we even got mentioned in the thread about original vinyl )

thanks to everyone who came - looking forward to 2nd Sep :thumbsup:

Guest Mart B

I know these guys who run the attic club PERSONALY and like me have been on the scene for the last 33+years its a great night and its nice to hear those sounds that other clubs dont play or are to FRIGHTENED to introduce into their playlist.Their policy is of quality not quantity at the end of the day we must be all pissed off at hearing the same old played out top 100 oldie tunes?. :good:

Hi you lot,I was there.a lot of the stuff played was new to me,im not saying that was a bad thing BTW,I think as has been mentioned it was very difficult to get on floor because of peeps standing on it ,but what can you do..attendance was probably better than anticipated,im sure if there was a little more room on the floor there would have been more folks dancing..keep it up it was a very good night..just one point I think if the tables had been place long side to the wall it would have made a little more standing room,,not critising.just an idea

Bazza

Hi Bazza, no problem about the comments - any suggestions/comments welcome.

Doug from Sweetsoul has made one very good suggestion with regard to positioning of the decks which should help with the standing on the floor problem.

Glad you enjoyed the night, hope to see you again :thumbsup:

BTW did you come down on the minibus with Johnny & co from Worksop?

Hi Bazza, no problem about the comments - any suggestions/comments welcome.

Doug from Sweetsoul has made one very good suggestion with regard to positioning of the decks which should help with the standing on the floor problem.

Glad you enjoyed the night, hope to see you again :D

BTW did you come down on the minibus with Johnny & co from Worksop?

Hi Steve no 14 of us came down ( mini bus from chesterfield/clowne )..see you soon

Bazza

Edited by bazza

Looks a good night , good to see Rob back behind the decks although I didn't think he still had stuff like those mentioned?

When is the next one, not far from me, if free will try and pop along...good to see quality music played round here rather than your usual top 200.

Looks a good night , good to see Rob back behind the decks although I didn't think he still had stuff like those mentioned?

When is the next one, not far from me, if free will try and pop along...good to see quality music played round here rather than your usual top 200.

Same here I thought he sold up a few years ago, Rob that is ,good to see him back though

Bazza

Edited by bazza

oops just re-read and 2nd September your next night :lol:

A few days gone by now so I've been able to take a calmer look at things.

My first post must read like I spat my dummy out but when you spend months planning something and spend quite a considerable financial outlay, its a bit hard to take when people have a go halfway through the night without giving it a proper chance.

Anyway not going to go on about that anymore.

The attendance was excellent which ironically caused one of the problems, due to where we had the decks set up there wasnt a lot of standing room so people ended up standing on the dance floor which in turn made it hard for people to dance and get the atmosphere going. We'll be addressing this for the next one.

The other thing thats really struck me is that everyone will have a different take on what you describe as your music policy- we've tried to make this as clear as possible but problems can arise with people hearing about us through different means ie this website, flyers, word of mouth etc all I can do is to put the playlists up so people can make their own minds up so heres a few more:

Lee Fields - Take Me Back

Debonaires - Hows your new love treating you

Joyce Bennett - New Boy

Ethics - I want my baby back

Rose Batiste -- I miss my baby

Orlons - Envy

Bobby Bland - Gettin used to the blues

" " - These hands

Lilian Dupree - Shield around my heart

Herb Ward - Strange change

Jean Wells - With my love

Gallahads - I've got to find a way

Jnr McCants - Try me for your new love

Margie Joseph - One More chance

Fabulous Peps - My love looks good on you

Inez & Charlie Foxx - No stranger to love

Amazers - Without a warning

Magnificent Men - I've Got news

Flaming Embers - Lets have a love in

Little Johnny Blair - Mommas gone

TSU toronados - What good am I?

We did have some good feedback on the night and and also from people on here ( we even got mentioned in the thread about original vinyl )

thanks to everyone who came - looking forward to 2nd Sep :ohmy:

My Kind of playlist this, If not at Keele on the 2nd will come across.

See you there in November, looks my kind of venue.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Well Ive never even seen any ads for this venue

But from the playlist it might be a wee bit over my head

I may well try it on the 2nd september

Im on holiday from work that weekend and its 10 miles away

Where in town is the venue?

Is it the old niteclub up form the library?

Mand :ohmy:

Mand, you've got your groove on to half of that playlist babe x

Well Dawn you know me better than I know myself !!! :unsure:

You know Im a thicy when it comes to naming stuff

My brain int like chalky's !!! :ohmy:

He must know just about every choon going

Btw you werent at Ian Marriotts do in alfreton on saturday were you ???

Well Dawn you know me better than I know myself !!! :lol:

You know Im a thicy when it comes to naming stuff

My brain int like chalky's !!! :lol:

He must know just about every choon going

Btw you werent at Ian Marriotts do in alfreton on saturday were you ???

:ohmy: No babe didn't make it to Ian's do heard it was a good un, did u go hun? I was sicky poorly this weekened and had places to go and never went anywhere, slept alot and charged me batteries up for the coming months :lol::ohmy::unsure:

:ohmy: No babe didn't make it to Ian's do heard it was a good un, did u go hun? I was sicky poorly this weekened and had places to go and never went anywhere, slept alot and charged me batteries up for the coming months :lol::ohmy::unsure:

I got a bollockin off Ian Marriott for not introducin' you and you weren't bloody there!!!

Why I oughta!!!

:lol: Mand

PS you and Trev would have enjoyed it

Mand - think you've got the wrong venue in mind. Attic soul club is at Black Bull pub on Woodhouse rd, half mile from town along A60 to Warsop/Worksop. Leaving Mansfield on this road you'll pass under a rail bridge, Black Bull is on your right just after bridge, parking pull into far side of pub by the phone box. Plenty of parking at back. Small venue, into pub up the stairs to the Attic (you can see some thought went into it eh). Nice room with own bar and toilets. If we get 70 we get full. You will hopefully hear some tooooons you've not heard in some time, and a couple you may not have heard at all. We seem to be getting labelled a rare night, some may be, but we're just trying to give a play to that huge playlist of overlooked and forgotten gems. Say hello if you're there, Dean.

Dean come to Bentinck Miners Welfare (Kirkby) tonight 18th & you'll here loads of underplayed stuff in the Back Room. Went to the last months Attic do & thought it was a great night, did notice that most people danced to the 70s stuff. Can't make it to your next one going to a wedding whistling.gif ....Cressy

ps.. if you can make it tonight bring some Attic flyers to put out

Mand - think you've got the wrong venue in mind. Attic soul club is at Black Bull pub on Woodhouse rd, half mile from town along A60 to Warsop/Worksop. Leaving Mansfield on this road you'll pass under a rail bridge, Black Bull is on your right just after bridge, parking pull into far side of pub by the phone box. Plenty of parking at back. Small venue, into pub up the stairs to the Attic (you can see some thought went into it eh). Nice room with own bar and toilets. If we get 70 we get full. You will hopefully hear some tooooons you've not heard in some time, and a couple you may not have heard at all. We seem to be getting labelled a rare night, some may be, but we're just trying to give a play to that huge playlist of overlooked and forgotten gems. Say hello if you're there, Dean.

Hi Dean

I know where it is now and Ive cleared my 2nd september slot and Im gonna drag Gary my hubby along

We were regulars at queensway suite my hubby is a big dark bloke Im little with brown hair

I got to know Sparky who also attended QS

I still see him at bentinck and forest town all dayer do you attend any of these?

PS Im four ways side of mansfield I know it very well!

See you on the second

Mand biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

hi, don't forget 2nd Sept, Attic in full swing ,7.30 til 12.00. Behind the decks ,,Steve, Kev, Dean + Garry. We're not a replacement, just an alternative, we don't bite!!! ( much).

Kev

I might be struggling to get this time as I ve damaged a disc in my back

and doubt very much I will be doing any dancing for a little while

But I will see how I am and might just still come

Mand :O) the happy soulie

Excellent nite at the attic a very 'knowledgable' soul crowd in and some great tunes. :good: .

Can't be talking about us!! :thumbsup:

But I enjoyed every minute except for not having a single dance (bad back )

Hopefully me and big lad will be attending next month too..... AND bringing reinforcements in the shape of a friend of ours and his wife.

He is rare / underplayed soul collector.

I really did enjoy the vast majority of the tunes played

No in fact I would go as far to say the guys never played a bad tune!!!

Can't be talking about us!! :thumbsup:

But I enjoyed every minute except for not having a single dance (bad back )

Hopefully me and big lad will be attending next month too..... AND bringing reinforcements in the shape of a friend of ours and his wife.

He is rare / underplayed soul collector.

I really did enjoy the vast majority of the tunes played

No in fact I would go as far to say the guys never played a bad tune!!!

Steve wheres that playlist you promised mate????

Hi Mandy - hope your back is getting back in line. Steve L's back came out in sympathy with you when it was time to carry the speakers up the fire escape to the Attic! Enjoyed last night (Sept 2nd) at Attic, nice easy night. Think we've got the lighting sorted and created more space. Typical having done that we didn't get as many in last night. Good people made the journey down from Lord Conyers at Conisbrough, good to meet them. We did face some standard criticism about playing too many 'obscure' sounds. Difficult one this - One persons "Haven't heard this in ages" is anothers "Don't know this at all". I'm sure we haven't got it right yet, but we'll keep on trying to get a balance of entertaining and challenging. We don't want to chase the dancefloor but do obviosly want people to have a great time. Good feedback from most people on the night though. Hope to see you at the Attic on Saturaday 7th Oct if you're mobile, or around the other venues in the mean-time. Get better soon, Dean.

Hi Mandy - hope your back is getting back in line. Steve L's back came out in sympathy with you when it was time to carry the speakers up the fire escape to the Attic! Enjoyed last night (Sept 2nd) at Attic, nice easy night. Think we've got the lighting sorted and created more space. Typical having done that we didn't get as many in last night. Good people made the journey down from Lord Conyers at Conisbrough, good to meet them. We did face some standard criticism about playing too many 'obscure' sounds. Difficult one this - One persons "Haven't heard this in ages" is anothers "Don't know this at all". I'm sure we haven't got it right yet, but we'll keep on trying to get a balance of entertaining and challenging. We don't want to chase the dancefloor but do obviosly want people to have a great time. Good feedback from most people on the night though. Hope to see you at the Attic on Saturaday 7th Oct if you're mobile, or around the other venues in the mean-time. Get better soon, Dean.

Dean you and the guys gave us a lovely welcome

And I would say you're worrying too much about the music policy

The folks there last night had a really great night including me and Gary

Ps Im on oldies fan But I still like NEW oldies to me!

Cheers Mand :O)

Thanks Mandy. I'm sure you're right about the worry angle but perhaps we'll get better at this by being a bit self-critical. We don't want to change what we set out to achieve......a)enjoy ourselves, cool.gif get a small venue to play some of the sounds we tended not to hear and wondered what had had happened to those gems. I do think the room is great. That old style northern soul /pub room. It's up to us to provide the right atmosphere for people to enjoy the sounds, and in that respect we're still learning. Hopefully as we improve some people will stick with us. I'd be thrilled for us to achieve a regular crowd of soul appreciators who come to hear a bit more variation alongside some of those 'Lost' classics. Anyway thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm going for a run now to throw of the cobwebs of last nights Guinness. Hope to see you soon, Dean.

Thanks Mandy. I'm sure you're right about the worry angle but perhaps we'll get better at this by being a bit self-critical. We don't want to change what we set out to achieve......a)enjoy ourselves, cool.gif get a small venue to play some of the sounds we tended not to hear and wondered what had had happened to those gems. I do think the room is great. That old style northern soul /pub room. It's up to us to provide the right atmosphere for people to enjoy the sounds, and in that respect we're still learning. Hopefully as we improve some people will stick with us. I'd be thrilled for us to achieve a regular crowd of soul appreciators who come to hear a bit more variation alongside some of those 'Lost' classics. Anyway thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm going for a run now to throw of the cobwebs of last nights Guinness. Hope to see you soon, Dean.

Dean there was a marvin gaye track played last night which I really liked what was it?

Ive ploughed thru the MG tracks on soul club juke box but none ring any bells

Altho I must say

these are good ones

when i feel the need

one more heartache

love starved heart ( Garys fave at the mo )

need somebody

mand :O)

Dean there was a marvin gaye track played last night which I really liked what was it?

Ive ploughed thru the MG tracks on soul club juke box but none ring any bells

Altho I must say

these are good ones

when i feel the need

one more heartache

love starved heart ( Garys fave at the mo )

need somebody

mand :O)

hi Mandy the Marvin Gaye track is " Change what you can" on Tamla Motown, t'tother side is " You".Glad you enjoyed the night,,Kev.

hi Mandy the Marvin Gaye track is " Change what you can" on Tamla Motown, t'tother side is " You".Glad you enjoyed the night,,Kev.

Just had an email of Chalky about your venue ...says he guest Dj soon

Its deffo his kind of place

I had catch that teardrop off him on a cd before it went big last year

Hes a very knowlegeable chap

Look forward to him playing some of his sounds

Mand :thumbsup:

Source Advert