Pay Pal Friends

Customs Value and Royal Mail Insured Value are 2 altogether different things.

Ie:- If I send for example a new mobile phone to a relative in the USA as a birthday present,

I would tick on the customs declaration form (Gift) and write down it has no commercial value, (because it’s a gift)

But when I post it with Royal mail I tell them that the item is worth £500 and want it insured for that price. If it does get damaged I would be eligible for a full value refund despite it saying no commercial value on the customs declaration form.

Hope this helps

I realise this, but you can bet the post office will take the declared value as the value.  One of the Pinches is having trouble or was, the PO wouldn't take the sale price as value, only the price he bought it for and wanted proof of purchase.  They also have a specific packaging guideline (in a jiffy bag) they don't tell you about but accept the standard mailer we all use when we post.

Social source share

I think it is up to the buyer and seller to sort out the payment method. I prefer payment by bank transfer as there is no cost to either party, same with F&F but there is no buyer (or seller) protection either.

If I offer an expensive record then I offer the alternative of using standard paypal but buyer pays the fees (about 4%) then there is protection both ways.

I stand the paypal fees on discogs and my web site but adjust record prices to account for them. But I'd rather give people an option for more expensive records. 

If the standard to be used is standard paypal with seller absorbing the fees, I'd price my records accordingly and offer a 4% discount for bank transfer or PayPal F&F.  :D

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!