The Joneses, Movin On: Posse

Ady Croasdell

• Replies 26
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Any of you modern type chaps or chappesses have a copy of this flip of 'Beauty' that I could buy or borrow?

Cheers

Ady

Hi Ady try Des Toussant I saw copies in his boxes this weekend. You probably know it already but there is also a longer version on Good 12". And of course it's basically the same song as GD & Big J "Movin on" (Good 7 inch).

fairs@dtrecords.co.uk

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

ady...

wasnt it also released in the uk as summer groove..

bless

jc

the messiah of northern soul

think i've got a uk 7" of summer groove somewhere - on uk champaign?

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

It's all too much for me. Presumably 'Summer Groove' is by the Joneses or is it the other lot. The CD's coming out at the end of November so I think we'll stick with Movin On if it's any cop. If there was a Pic Sleeve on the UK issue I'd like to see it.

if i remember correctly, sam used to play movin on in the very early 80s - so that's probably the one with the northern soul heritage

mark freeman (wiganer) might have some old playlists/tapes from around that time

the summer groove was a popular disco/boogie tune, not sure if it's a newer recording or even precisely the same song and if it had a picture sleeve at all it would have been only some crap graphics - i can't remember the other one, but i can't remember a lot of things from those days

anyway, hope you're putting is the getting still good on the cd - top tune!

Social source share

HI ADY, THE TRACK IS SUMMER GROOVE[MOVIN-ON] SO SAME RECORD.CAME OUT ON US GOOD AND UK CHAMPAGNE 1981.7"& 12" UNFORTUNATLY JUST SOLD MY COPIES SO CAN'T LEND YOU THEM.

Social source share

Hi Ady try Des Toussant I saw copies in his boxes this weekend. You probably know it already but there is also a longer version on Good 12". And of course it's basically the same song as GD & Big J "Movin on" (Good 7 inch).

Oops can correct myself here, sorry for mixing things up.

"Movin on' " 7 inch releases as Joneses on Posse and GD & the Big J on Good (think it's the exact same version). Des had both these in his boxes.

"Summer groove" 12 inch as Joneses on Us Good and Uk Champagne. (There might be a 7 inch release on Uk Champagne as well not sure).

Social source share

ady..

yes..gd is glenn dorsey..

just checked the good copy and the uk champagne copy by the joneses..and the credits are identical..glenn dorsey/augustus..

produced by glenn dorsey..

arranged by..g.dorsey/augustus/c.franzetti

lyrics are different but backing track seems identical..

bless

jc

the messiah of northern soul

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

just checked the good copy and the uk champagne copy by the joneses..

lyrics are different but backing track seems identical..

that's what i thought...same backing, but slightly different "song"

thought the us version that sam used to play was called keep moving on or something like that and the uk release is called summer groove and came out a year or two later - but i can't really remember, too long ago!

Social source share

I don't have the Posse issue anymore but I recall it being slightly different in arrangement and vocals...sounded like a different lead...or slightly different... to the 'Movin' On' versions on GooD. There were two issues of the GooD version though I reckon they're the same version. As others have pointed out the Summer Groove tune is basically a version of Movin On, albeit with different lyrics and arrangement.

Ady, you're probably also aware that Dorsey did this which wasn't released until (delete as appropriate) the mid 80's/late 80's/early 90's/mid 90's/late 90's or beyond. Infact if you're in contact with him you might ask him when he pressed them up - would clear a few issues up..

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Guest GoodTaste

I think the "Movin' on" by Glenn Dorsey & The Big J on GooD records is definitely the best version of the song you can buy. Great vocals and best arrangement.

The Joneses "Summer groove" is a very nice single but there's no comparison with "Movin' on". Anyway the 12" version is far better than the 7" IMHO

Social source share

But Good Taste, have you compared the GD version of Movin On (That's How it's listed in the discogs JC) with the Joneses' Posse single. Karl M thinks they are the same.

J-Brew, we're not in touch with GD but would love to be and will certainly ask about that track (which I can't access on this PC but will later) if we get to him.

Thanks to everyone this is great fun as I didn't even know the track was any good. Now I need to know the venues Sam played it at and the names of the people who danced to it.

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Glenn did the Satin 45 in about 90' or so, although the backround track was recorded in 1979. Satin just added vocals to it, and neither Glenn nor her owned a turntable at the time so nobody noticed it was digitally distorted when they received their test presses.

I think Glenn may have a master of it, so someone could presumably press it up sounding correct.

Any interested parties PM me and I'll ask him.

a.

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

more useless information about this tune:

it was covered up on the northern scene as universal mind

if you look at the birmingham locarno thread (last post nov 29th) in "all our yesterdays" Robin S posted up a tape track-listing from the modern room recorded on 23 August 1981

arthur played it as universal mind cover-up

Robin has listed it as the glenn dorsey version, but i seem to remember it was the joneses version because i remember thinking it was funny that such a well known artist had been covered-up when it was uncovered - but i might be wrong!!!

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

more useless information about this tune:

it was covered up on the northern scene as universal mind

if you look at the birmingham locarno thread (last post nov 29th) in "all our yesterdays" Robin S posted up a tape track-listing from the modern room recorded on 23 August 1981

arthur played it as universal mind cover-up

Robin has listed it as the glenn dorsey version, but i seem to remember it was the joneses version because i remember thinking it was funny that such a well known artist had been covered-up when it was uncovered - but i might be wrong!!!

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

does anyone know the catalogue number and year for the Posse 45 ?

the first record I'm aware of on Posse is the boogie track on 12" by Ritz, I wanna get with you, good tune from 1980. I just pulled it out and Glenn Dorsey is one of the writers along with Arthur and Tina Baker. Production by Arthur Baker.

posse is associated with spring, and theres a Joneses 45 on that label from 1979, Love Contest, good tune. was that their only release on the traditional spring green and white format ?

Social source share

Movin On is 5003 came out in 1980. Prior to that they had two releases on Spring the other was another version of Pull My String that came out on several labels since the early 70s

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert