Syl Johnson Do You Know What Love Is

2 hours ago, theothertosspot said:

Am aware this came out twice on Special Agent, but does anyone know if it was ever booted on the same label.

Regards

No boots as far as I know.

White Demo's and RED issues better take with piano intro, YELLOW issues without piano intro I think not so desirable 

Social source share

19 hours ago, theothertosspot said:

Am aware this came out twice on Special Agent, but does anyone know if it was ever booted on the same label.

Regards

Not booted but re-issued as a look alike in a Syl Johnson double 45 "box-set" by the Numero Group team a little while ago... It was a re-issue of the Special Agent 201 release I think, the one with the longer-slow intro...

Social source share

1 hour ago, tlscapital said:

Not booted but re-issued as a look alike in a Syl Johnson double 45 "box-set" by the Numero Group team a little while ago... It was a re-issue of the Special Agent 201 release I think, the one with the longer-slow intro...

not a lookalike at all, totally different label for the box set 45.

Social source share

18 hours ago, hammie said:

No boots as far as I know.

White Demo's and RED issues better take with piano intro, YELLOW issues without piano intro I think not so desirable 

both versions are available on red label, only way to tell the difference is the deadwax.

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Kris Holmes said:

both versions are available on red label, only way to tell the difference is the deadwax.

I thought it was to do with the 200 release (red and WDJ), though it's with the long intro, but maybe not on some red ones then.... and the 201 yellow release. But that is only a belief I have... I'll be glad to learn better since I don't have it myself and am after the short intro...

Capture d’écran 2016-07-13 à 17.02.10.pngCapture d’écran 2016-07-13 à 17.02.36.pngCapture d’écran 2016-07-13 à 17.02.22.png

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

this one can be pretty confusing, here is, i hope, a simple definitive rundown as best as i know.

so there are 2 label numbers, 200 & 201, two different versions.  The one with extra horns intro & extra "claves" or trigger triangle (hard to tell, could be a faux claves just hitting a couple pieces of metal together or could be a trigger triangle) (to basically differentiate it) which isn't on Youtube & the one without horns (piano/drums intro) on the intro. 

200 (b/w The Love I Found In You)

White label (piano intro, deadwax SP1)

Red label (piano intro, deadwax SP1)

Red label (horns intro, deadwax 20079-2)

201 (b/w Things Ain't Right)

White label (horns intro, deadwax 20079-2)

Yellow label (horns intro, deadwax 20079-2) 

The box set issue is the piano intro version.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

54 minutes ago, theothertosspot said:

Deadwax is quite wide with only number etched in

it will be the horns intro, as far as i know, all 201 white label & yellow labels are the horns intro

2 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Easy to spot Yellow boot with Tamala Lewis on t'other side , numbered as 202 ... https://www.popsike.com/SYL-JOHNSONDO-YOU-KNOW-WHAT-LOVE-ISTAMALA-LEWISYOU-WONT-SAY-NOTHINGDOUBLE/181386158696.html

i did not know about this boot, wonder which version this is?

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

Reason I ask is because I like the record and remember Derek Allen playing it. 

Anyway one was in for sales on here (red one which got sold) so I googled and on the first page this was available (2 weeks ago) for $6.99, which I obviously purchased.

Would appear I got a bargain!

boot or not!

Thank you for your help

Edited by theothertosspot
Smiley face
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!