Billy Woods about to go on sale

Jim G

On 9/4/2016 at 20:10, WoodButcher said:

It hit £3000.00 in about two hours ...

Which is 3000 x what John offered it to me for in the early 70s............and I turned it down! There couldn't possibly be a rare Sussex record could there? You could build houses with the amount of Sussex records that were in the UK at the time..........:)

Ian D :(

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

It always struck me as an unfinished song and performed like a demo with the intention of writing a suitable chorus but they forgot to do so, probably that's why they binned it.  I don't think it would of set the world on fire in the US if it had been released at the time.

An interesting point Mike. The La La La-ing gives the impression of improvisation and something lacking. That said, the backing singers have rehearsed thoroughly and are in sync with the string arrangements. I suspect it sounded good in the studio, but once the demo's were cut, someone said it lacked oomph, would not sell and therefore the release be canned. I think it has a touch of class, sublime tempo, clear lead and backing vocals, great orchestration but flawed by the La La La-ing that aims to give a sense of happiness but sounds like filler when you analyse it intently. But give me a flawed track over a poppy chart-topper anyday.

Social source share

On 14/09/2016 at 18:57, gointoagogo said:

No you are not alone. I've always considered this to be a pretty average record - nice, but not one I'd ever want even if I could afford it lol.

I would like a box full of pretty average records like this!!!  I think it's well above average. 

It's got a lot of Class!  It oozes quality!!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!