A Topic For Debate

Hey there,

I've only been playing around on the site for an hour or so and I've come up with a conversation point!!

I've been checking the forums and I happened to come across posts relating to the new Amy Winehouse single Rehab... it seems to me that opinions vary with regard to a new generation "finding" the scene.

As the profile states Im 28 and so I accept, in the grand scheme of things re N.Soul, that makes me a pup, but with it being a way of life (due to obsessive parents!) I reckon I've known it all my life, sung along to it for the last 23-24 years, and grown to love it over the last 15 years. That, in theory gives me as much experience as several people much older than myself, however, if I was to attend a "do" away from Bedford where I am no longer known as "... oh thats ***'s lad" then there is a chance I would be seen as a newbie.

Attending a London Soul Nite not all that long ago,I actually felt like an outsider, not because of the fact that I was away from my comfort zone of Bedford but due to the crowd being really clicky - so much so that I've not gone back.

Now, finally getting to my point, some people have mentioned how it is important to impress upon "the youth of today" the quality of NS and to promote it with a view to these new people being recruited to the scene. Other people suggest (or at least imply, perhaps) that such people should stay away. The latter of the two was certainly the impression I got at the London event.

What are peoples thoughts here.... are "we" youngsters a necessary evil in keeping the scene alive in years to come? are we a benefit to the scene now? Or, Are we best out the way and letting the "Oldies" seeing if they can still backdrop on the dancefloor lol.

Regardless of what is put here I shall still be attending (by the way) soul nites as I love it!

Just interested in what people think... Youngsoulie!

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well first of all glad to see you at your age into Northern soul as the more the better and if we can all get together we can try and keep the scene alive but people forget one thing.

The scene might survive with young soulies however would there be enough to cater in every town/city that has them now it might not be the case so less nighters or the same amount but played out at only a select amount of places in the UK. As they might think there is not enough soulies anymore in Peterborough or Cambridge or wherever to host them but we can house them in a venue together ie a venue in Peterborough would hose a night of Northern soul and people from Cambridge, leicester, northampton etc attend.

There would be no point having a night in some town in future when like 45 knowing only a few will attend from the same city when they can say don't host a night anywhere else tell them they can come here to make it more. So you vist your local nighters as close as they are.

That is a part view of how the scene might come along in the future when we grown up in age of 45 plus.

Social source share

Bring on the 'Young Ones' - we attended the Prestatyn Weekender this month, about 20/25 and amongst them was a 17 year old who for the first experienced three all-nighters in one weekend. As he said, you can't get that at home so is off to sort his driving licence out so he can travel. The look at his face all weekend was great but will his mates be coming along, he doesn't think so, why not; because their parents don't like Soul Music.

So this is where part of the future of the scene lies or does it, my two kids come along to the modern stuff but can't stand Northern so I don't see them moving onto the Soul scene. Plus the lad say's I dance like me Dad and laughs all the way to bar............ huh.gif

As for the scene being clicky, yep but then it's gonna be, nature of us humans I'm afraid

Social source share

There are a growing number of younger soulies for sure but spread far and wide..Gonna do my best to involve them in soul nights in 2007,i know have a number of younger lads who want to play tunes to a younger crowd,the next generation will never be anywhere near the numbers of the past but they are coming through..Its so good to see people like Paul B and other younger lads now with the same fire burning inside them,they want to buy records and they want to play to a new generation who have there own teeth and don't talk about the old days whistling.gif ..We were all young once and we wanted the same as them...Well i did..

Social source share

my lad is coming up for 14..ive taken him to a few soul nites and he loves the music and dances his arse off...BUT..he is still also into music that his mates are into..he has his own small collection of vinyl that can be heard blasting out every now and then...so maybe it would be true to say that only the children of soul music lovers are going to wind up coming onto the scene cos the poor mites have been force fed the stuff for years.....

btw he is his mothers son ...last soul nite we went to he declared " mum how long is the bloke playing the rubbish rock and roll gonna be on? " whistling.gif

cookie :thumbsup:

Social source share

Attending a London Soul Nite not all that long ago,I actually felt like an outsider, not because of the fact that I was away from my comfort zone of Bedford but due to the crowd being really clicky - so much so that I've not gone back.

I have felt this in the past, but there is a way around feeling left out. Arrange to meet people from this board at venues that you maybe attending, then in turn they introduce you to their friends. It worked for me........hang on, on second thoughts tho' you'll be better off by yourself. laugh.gif

Social source share

Some very pertinent points made, however the fact is when we started out on our long journey, the majority of punters were of a certain age group, who had friends and associates who were also caught up in the "Northern Soul thing" of similar age, I wonder therefore how many of todays younger following have started their journey through their own initiative, i.e. without parental influence??? unsure.gif

Social source share

I have felt this in the past, but there is a way around feeling left out. Arrange to meet people from this board at venues that you maybe attending, then in turn they introduce you to their friends. It worked for me........hang on, on second thoughts tho' you'll be better off by yourself. laugh.gif

I know it might seem hard but you need to try going up and speaking to people - you will, in 99% of the time find them to be friendly and approachable. I usually make a point of trying to say hello to people I see at either of our events (in my sig) if they appear to be on their own or if I don't recognise them, and I then make sure that when I go off, I have introduced them to at least 3 others so they are not 'on their own'. Not everyone appreciates being spoken to but I, and the people I do the nights with, do try and do this anyway because we genuinely welcome and want to encourage new people to come along, regardless of whether they are 20 or 70.

If the crowds seem to be clicky it's because they are most likely friends who have been meeting each other at various nights for many years. Doesn't mean to say that anyone is unwelcome. The fact is, if there are 15 people at a night and they all know each other (and this IS likely these days) then of course you are going to feel like an outsider but it doesn't mean that those other people see you as such, and you can either go home and cry about it or do something about it. If it was either of our nights, I will personally buy you a pint and force you to speak to at least 6 people at the next one (attendances allowing :thumbsup: ). If it wasn't then, as said, sort out a meet up with some others who are going either there or beforehand and you won't look back.....

Martin

Social source share

Hey there,

I've only been playing around on the site for an hour or so and I've come up with a conversation point!!

I've been checking the forums and I happened to come across posts relating to the new Amy Winehouse single Rehab... it seems to me that opinions vary with regard to a new generation "finding" the scene.

As the profile states Im 28 and so I accept, in the grand scheme of things re N.Soul, that makes me a pup, but with it being a way of life (due to obsessive parents!) I reckon I've known it all my life, sung along to it for the last 23-24 years, and grown to love it over the last 15 years. That, in theory gives me as much experience as several people much older than myself, however, if I was to attend a "do" away from Bedford where I am no longer known as "... oh thats ***'s lad" then there is a chance I would be seen as a newbie.

Now, finally getting to my point, some people have mentioned how it is important to impress upon "the youth of today" the quality of NS and to promote it with a view to these new people being recruited to the scene. Other people suggest (or at least imply, perhaps) that such people should stay away. The latter of the two was certainly the impression I got at the London event.

What are peoples thoughts here.... are "we" youngsters a necessary evil in keeping the scene alive in years to come? are we a benefit to the scene now? Or, Are we best out the way and letting the "Oldies" seeing if they can still backdrop on the dancefloor lol.

Regardless of what is put here I shall still be attending (by the way) soul nites as I love it!

Personally I love to see new young people on the scene, it gives me hope that things will carry long after all us old farts have hung up our zimmer frames and passed to that great dance floor in the sky.

And if you live in La La Land (Bedford) you won't have to travel far during November, 11th Nov Soul @ The Paddington, 18th November Charity Night of Soul @ Bedford Athletic in aid of Ridgeway Special School, 24th November Soul @ The Ath with Guest DJs Arthur Fenn and Tony Warot. See events calendar for more details.

QoFxx

Social source share

I know it might seem hard but you need to try going up and speaking to people - you will, in 99% of the time find them to be friendly and approachable. I usually make a point of trying to say hello to people I see at either of our events (in my sig) if they appear to be on their own or if I don't recognise them, and I then make sure that when I go off, I have introduced them to at least 3 others so they are not 'on their own'. Not everyone appreciates being spoken to but I, and the people I do the nights with, do try and do this anyway because we genuinely welcome and want to encourage new people to come along, regardless of whether they are 20 or 70.

If the crowds seem to be clicky it's because they are most likely friends who have been meeting each other at various nights for many years. Doesn't mean to say that anyone is unwelcome. The fact is, if there are 15 people at a night and they all know each other (and this IS likely these days) then of course you are going to feel like an outsider but it doesn't mean that those other people see you as such, and you can either go home and cry about it or do something about it. If it was either of our nights, I will personally buy you a pint and force you to speak to at least 6 people at the next one (attendances allowing :lol: ). If it wasn't then, as said, sort out a meet up with some others who are going either there or beforehand and you won't look back.....

Martin

Good post Martin....

I know a young girl who does not come to nights anymore because of all the older :unsure: blokes in the toilets taking off wedding rings and then chatting her up whistling.gif ,she was single but wanted men who still had teeth and not smelling of wee :unsure:ohmy.gif:thumbsup: to chat to her..People like this girl loved the music but will not come back again to certain venues..

Social source share

Personally I love to see new young people on the scene, it gives me hope that things will carry long after all us old farts have hung up our zimmer frames and passed to that great dance floor in the sky.

And if you live in La La Land (Bedford) you won't have to travel far during November, 11th Nov Soul @ The Paddington, 18th November Charity Night of Soul @ Bedford Athletic in aid of Ridgeway Special School, 24th November Soul @ The Ath with Guest DJs Arthur Fenn and Tony Warot. See events calendar for more details.

QoFxx

I have to agree with you Chrissie

I love to see young soul rebels dancing to the N/ S tunes we all love

And as Martin points out quite a few of us have groups of mates we meet up with at

Soul do's on a regular basis

I make an effort to try and chat to newbies and make them feel welcome

Once went to Hinckley Clarendon club and a bunch of 20yr old scooterists arrived dropped everything at the side of the dancefloor and started dancing ( and good they were too) their dress sense was fantastic too (ben shermans and the like)

All power to their elbow!!!

Mand biggrin.gif the happy soulie

PS Chrissie hope your do does well xxx

Social source share

Good post Martin....

I know a young girl who does not come to nights anymore because of all the older :unsure: blokes in the toilets taking off wedding rings and then chatting her up whistling.gif ,she was single but wanted men who still had teeth and not smelling of wee :unsure:ohmy.gif:thumbsup: to chat to her..People like this girl loved the music but will not come back again to certain venues..

PMSL but what was she doing in the toilets with all the older blokes in the first place :lol:

Social source share

Good post Martin....

I know a young girl who does not come to nights anymore because of all the older :unsure: blokes in the toilets taking off wedding rings and then chatting her up whistling.gif ,she was single but wanted men who still had teeth and not smelling of wee blush.gif:thumbsup::lol: to chat to her..People like this girl loved the music but will not come back again to certain venues..

Well she shouldn't go in the gents toilet :D

Sorry :unsure:

QoFxx

Social source share

Some very pertinent points made, however the fact is when we started out on our long journey, the majority of punters were of a certain age group, who had friends and associates who were also caught up in the "Northern Soul thing" of similar age, I wonder therefore how many of todays younger following have started their journey through their own initiative, i.e. without parental influence??? unsure.gif

:unsure:

If I'd followed parental influence I'd be listening to Cajun Folk music and the like, and going to festivals where lots of old men with beards stay in tents and drink cider :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

You toothless, wee smelling dirty old man wicked.gif

:unsure: I was merely suggesting that she might have been willing to help you with your colostomy bag Steve.

Social source share

Good post Martin....

============

She sounds very high maintenance :lol:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I bet you were.

Anyway, my bags are all from Lidl :unsure: No fancy shops up here whistling.gif

Lidl? Sounds a bit exotic. Aren't they foreign? German I think. Too posh for Spar are you? :unsure:

Social source share

Hey there,

==============

London does have a reputation for cliques, probably because they don't go outside their own comfort zone, (backdoor Kenny being a notable exception) so I wouldn't worry about it. The best way to meet people at do's is, as someone said, start a thread on here, who's going to so and so, agree it's difficult to just go up and talk to someone.

In answer to your major point, of course you're important to the scene and NO you shouldn't stay out of the way and let the oldies backdrop the night away smile.gif

I'm intrigued as to who you are by the way, as I'm from Bedford as well.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I bet you were.

Anyway, my bags are all from Lidl sad.gif No fancy shops up here whistling.gif

OFF Topic.

One year on the way up to Cleethorpes with young Matt Jahans, we stopped in Morrosons. It was the first one he had ever been in. We were stood in one Isle and Matt asked me if "they do Pitta Bread this far north" :unsure:

The look on the lady's face who was stacking the shelves was priceless.

As Phil T would say. Happy Days.

Back ON Topic.

The first do I went to in London after returning to the scene(A one off in a downstairs Leicester Square club, with Buey DJing). I had hair down to my backside, a Wonder Stuff T-shirt, multi couloured patchwork canvas trousers and Dockies. Not one person spoke to me. The next time I was wearing something extremely similar, and I saw two recognisable people from the first do, Liam and Jim. So I got off the bus and ran back to the doorway they had gone in. Rob Bailey openeed the door to the Mousetrap and said "Sorry mate, its a private club". I said I thought it was a Northern Soul night. He looked me up and down and said, you go and dance Soul style to the next record and you can come in for free. I remember it well. Catfood Chris played Tangeers - Let my heart and soul be free. Rob scratched his head and went back to the front door, leaving me dancing.

Kerry and Rob came over and said "I bet you are here for the soul stuff", and the rest is history.

Luckily for me though I did manage to escape London before Supercorsa became a regular :unsure:

Its not easy meeting people in clubs when you are on your own anywhere in the country. I always thought the 100 club was full of ponces after attending a few in the first couple of years it began. Then after living there I found out I was right, and became one of those ponces too.

Mikey, always to tired to talk at nighters, and too drunk to talk at nites.

Social source share

:lol:

If I'd followed parental influence I'd be listening to Cajun Folk music and the like, and going to festivals where lots of old men with beards stay in tents and drink cider ph34r.gif

Did not know that your uncle was into Cajun Folk :unsure:whistling.gif ,oooh sorry i mean father :thumbsup: ..

Most of the younger crowd i know got the vest and flares handed down from dad,he told them to stay away from the drugs,them same dads are now back on the scene going to venues that play repeats,have wheelchair ramps,table set up for 50th birthdays every month with cake/balloons and the crowd drink 20 pints each and still think they are 17..I think you are better off on drugs at another venue.. :D:unsure: ..

Love and peace... x

Social source share

Did not know that your uncle was into Cajun Folk shades.gifwhistling.gif ,oooh sorry i mean father :lol: =============

Sounds like a scene from deliverance? :thumbsup:

==========..

Most of the younger crowd i know got the vest and flares handed down from dad,he told them to stay away from the drugs,them same dads are now back on the scene going to venues that play repeats,have wheelchair ramps,table set up for 50th birthdays every month with cake/balloons and the crowd drink 20 pints each and still think they are 17..I think you are better off on drugs at another venue.. :D:unsure: ..

Love and peace... x

===============

Not much love in that sentence? Really strange some promoters view other promoters events :unsure:

Social source share

Most of the younger crowd i know got the vest and flares handed down from dad,he told them to stay away from the drugs,them same dads are now back on the scene going to venues that play repeats,have wheelchair ramps,table set up for 50th birthdays every month with cake/balloons and the crowd drink 20 pints each and still think they are 17..

And chatting up young girls when their wives aren't looking whistling.gif

Social source share

============

I'm probably going to spell this wrong, but don't they call men from that region 'chucktas'?

Do you mean 'tcheucters'? Think that usually means people from the Highlands.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Its German for "skip" I believe whistling.gif

I think that their original name "Schwarz Markt" has a much better ring to it. "Achtung! Achtung! Ve haf many bargains for those who haf ze correct papers! Rauss! Rauss!"

Err, should this Allo Allo stuff be on the Only Fools and Horses thread? :unsure:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think that their original name "Schwarz Markt" has a much better ring to it. "Achtung! Achtung! Ve haf many bargains for those who haf ze correct papers! Rauss! Rauss!"

Err, should this Allo Allo stuff be on the Only Fools and Horses thread? blush.gif

You got that from Uncle Albert talking to the German Girl.

'I learnt a bit of German in the war

Vort iss your name?'

Social source share

This scene clicky never :lol:

i once went to a soul nite and a geezer was selling a rare soul fanzine, took one look at me and assumed i didnt deserve to know wat was beetween those pages, hes a well known anorak,twas only cos i knew his mrs from years back that he let me buy one, thought he was doing me a favour ! its that kind of thing that puts new punters pff the scene, by the way ive been into this scene deeply for 24 years apart from a short break, i no him a bit better now and hes not too bad, im a bit of an anorak too, always have been, my point is that some of the serious guys should chill out a bit sometimes, its always been a welcoming scene so lets try to keep it that way

thanks

jason

Social source share

Hey there,

Trying to persuade a young couple to come to The LEL that i work with.

been to one before they tell me , got into the music started to dance then bumped into a dancer by mistake and told to fxxk off you dont belong and pushed over. Never been since .

We are all not like that.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

must be a first to see some trouble at nighter i never seen it. But poor girl who won't go again tell her i am here in Peterborough she can come out with me and i will not be trouble.

In the words of Shakin Stevens I'll be satisfied (oops a jackie wilson cover) but done my my idol Shaky (now you all know it).

Good job my dad got into Northern and motown or else i might have delt with my mum's love for Donny Osmond and dad's love at first for Elvis.

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Well being youngish (26) I have found the people on the NS scene bloody great. Been going to 100 club and other do's round london for about 4/5 years and also to the weekenders and have never really felt like an outsider. Even at the first prestatyn weekender i went to (what was a bit of a culture shock) people seemed quite happy to talk to me and enthusiastic that i was into the same thing and that i'd botherd to travel to deepest darkest wales. Even at the 100 club most people are more than willing to have a chat and Im sure ive bored some people ridjid at 5.45am . :yes:

I've met lots of people on the scene who i would now call mates. Good Times!

Social source share

Hey there,

Hi

Surely all the hard work has been done. The Vinyl records are mainly in collections and not scattered across the U.S.A. in warehouses waiting to be discovered. CD's full of Northern Tracks are easy to obtain, & MP3 download's. There are plenty of Venues to go to. Maybe things are now too easy, I don't suggest that Vinyl Records will readily thrill the youngsters of today, but .......

The Music Definitely will, in my opinion, one day Northern Soul will be rediscovered by the young, possibly dare I say It via MP3 Downloads. The 100 M.P.H. Dancers will win the day. We might be tired of hearing certain records, but just imagine when you heard them the first time around. It's just waiting to happen, all over again.

The knowledge of the scene and it's music is the gift that we can pass on to others.

We all hold gems of Information about the scene and the music that can be shared on forums like Soul Source. Like I say, It's just waiting to happen.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Loads of responses... I think I may have been interpreted that I thought all soulies were clique... not at all, It seems very close-knit and I've grown up around loads and loads of soulies, all of which have treated me like their own!

With regards to vinyl vs CD's, I'm simply limited by budget... I was set to inherit a fantastic collection, but my "old man" sold it...swine!

Winnie, I think I know you too!! Certainly if you used to spend your Sunday nights in the George and Dragon???

Social source share

==============

London does have a reputation for cliques, probably because they don't go outside their own comfort zone, (backdoor Kenny being a notable exception) so I wouldn't worry about it. The best way to meet people at do's is, as someone said, start a thread on here, who's going to so and so, agree it's difficult to just go up and talk to someone.

In answer to your major point, of course you're important to the scene and NO you shouldn't stay out of the way and let the oldies backdrop the night away smile.gif

Winnie bring them to to the City Club Peteborough next time you come up we are all very friendly and open minded no worries

steve

Social source share

==============

In answer to your major point, of course you're important to the scene and NO you shouldn't stay out of the way and let the oldies backdrop the night away :D

Cheer`s Winnie,first time i`ve been noted for anything in my life :thumbsup: well anything good,see you down the 100 club soon maybe :ohmy: i`ll be the one trying to keep the southern "clique" in some sort of order whistling.gif must say the southerners are pretty ok,once they get to know ya` :good: they`re just a little shy :thumbsup: .

:thumbup:

Social source share

Cheer`s Winnie,first time i`ve been noted for anything in my life :thumbup: well anything good,see you down the 100 club soon maybe :D i`ll be the one trying to keep the southern "clique" in some sort of order whistling.gif must say the southerners are pretty ok,once they get to know ya` :good: they`re just a little shy :thumbsup: .

:ohmy:

Heres my theory as to some of the 'acclaimed' 'cliqueness' (all though i've never noticed it myself)

London is a big place with 'dos' held in alot of places in the main 'areas' of london, so obviously you are going to get a few un-disirables in every now and then, so i suppose some people might be a bit causious of new faces (esp the younger generation) :thumbsup:

The london crowd are a very friendly bunch of chaps and chapesses :thumbsup:

Social source share

Heres my theory as to some of the 'acclaimed' 'cliqueness' (all though i've never noticed it myself)

London is a big place with 'dos' held in alot of places in the main 'areas' of london, so obviously you are going to get a few un-disirables in every now and then, so i suppose some people might be a bit causious of new faces (esp the younger generation) unsure.gif

The london crowd are a very friendly bunch of chaps and chapesses :ohmy:

If they didnt know you where me mukca,you`d be well frozen out,Baz :thumbup:

Bad joke :thumbsup:

Social source share

If they didnt know you where me mukca,you`d be well frozen out,Baz :thumbup:

Bad joke :thumbsup:

:ohmy: I think thats why i get funny looks of them :D

Even badder joke whistling.gif

Social source share

London is a big place with 'dos' held in alot of places in the main 'areas' of london, so obviously you are going to get a few un-disirables in every now and then, so i suppose some people might be a bit causious of new faces (esp the younger generation) :thumbsup:

The london crowd are a very friendly bunch of chaps and chapesses :thumbup:

============

If I'd have said that Dave would have slaughtered me :ohmy:

Always got on with the 'London crowd', they just take some time to get to know thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!