Phyllis Brown - I've got something on my mind

Not the first issue. Think it is a legal reissue. Even this goes for three figures these days. First issue rarely turns up for sale nowadays. As for playing your copy out in public, most wouldn't complain but some might find fault. A great song that deserves to be spun but maybe best to be selective about where to play it out.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
typo
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi again Natalie. A good question and one I've asked myself. I think the maroon one on Popsike is the original. I always thought the original was on a green label - I bid on one a couple of years ago but did not win and then was given a second chance offer on a blue label version. Maybe this was the pale blue variant on Popsike by Sunny and Phyllis on the Zuma label - there are three copies of this, all sold by the same seller?  My copy is like yours, and judging from the number on Popsike, has survived in some quantity but buyers have not been deterred by the price. There are other Le Cam releases on the same pink and white label and I suspect these are later re-issues of earlier releases.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's just strange the ones on popsike aren't listed as reissues either when you read them same as discogs too !!! I know there's a pale blue one, green one, white and purple and now discovered there's a maroon one ..... it's very confusing lol I've looked in the pressings guide too and still nothing ... it come to thought today when I was on Facebook and someone wanted a valuation and posted a pic of the same one and someone commented it's a reissue .... so I needed to dig deeper lol 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Major Bill who owned the label and others issued the 45's as when when he required and it seems sometimes completely randomly. The label numbering was also pretty random at times.

The purple and white is the second issue but it was done by the owners and as part of their "normal" activities so there is no issue in playing it. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Oh brilliant ... I was getting me self worried lol as I only play and collect original!! At least there's been some light shown on this subject now .. I just didn't understand the price on popsike I thought to my self surely if this is a pressing why is it fetching more than the original on there ... but then again the mad world of record collecting 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, natalie89 said:

Oh brilliant ... I was getting me self worried lol as I only play and collect original!! At least there's been some light shown on this subject now .. I just didn't understand the price on popsike I thought to my self surely if this is a pressing why is it fetching more than the original on there ... but then again the mad world of record collecting 

Both label variants share the same release number (630) which is pretty common with the good Major. Some releases on Le Cam, Charay etc used the same number up to 4 times and by different artists with different flipsides or completely different records. Needless to say trying to do a discography of any of his labels is a complete nightmare. I had both but sold the green coloured label when it became popular but still have the white and purple, not an issue for me.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

22 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Hi again Natalie. A good question and one I've asked myself. I think the maroon one on Popsike is the original. I always thought the original was on a green label - I bid on one a couple of years ago but did not win and then was given a second chance offer on a blue label version. Maybe this was the pale blue variant on Popsike by Sunny and Phyllis on the Zuma label - there are three copies of this, all sold by the same seller?  My copy is like yours, and judging from the number on Popsike, has survived in some quantity but buyers have not been deterred by the price. There are other Le Cam releases on the same pink and white label and I suspect these are later re-issues of earlier releases.

Sunny and Phillis on Zuma is a strange one, it's the solo version usually credited to Phyllis Brown (I think) but it's got added brass/horns all over it. Here's a rough recording I just did. 

Edited by John A
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, John A said:

Sunny and Phillis on Zuma is a strange one, it's the solo version usually credited to Phyllis Brown (I think) but it's got added brass/horns all over it. Here's a rough recording I just did. 

First time I've heard this. An interesting take. The three Zuma records on Popsike look to be unplayed stock from one hoard QED. I wonder if it's a vintage pressing or a recent reissue of sorts? Evidently someone had confidence in the song hence the various labels and artist permutations. Anyway, I'm on the lookout for this version now. Thanks for posting.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, John A said:

That Zuma recording is different to the Sonny & Phyllis version on Soft too - that version (as far as I can recall) is the same  as the solo credit apart from a repeated intro. 

Social source share

52 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

First time I've heard this. An interesting take. The three Zuma records on Popsike look to be unplayed stock from one hoard QED. I wonder if it's a vintage pressing or a recent reissue of sorts? Evidently someone had confidence in the song hence the various labels and artist permutations. Anyway, I'm on the lookout for this version now. Thanks for posting.

Mine came off the bay a few years back, probably one of those on popsike. I too had never heard this take, knew the others and thought they were ok but nowt special. But the Zuma take is great. Couldn't say if vintage press or stock. Try Diggin Dave, he was selling one on here not long back.

Bit of info on Zuma discogs https://www.discogs.com/label/184908-Zuma-Records-2

Edited by John A
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!