Cartsairs choice help

Jazz

3 hours ago, jazz said:

Am I better of getting the pink one or the demo 70s boot thanx in advance jazz ( it really hurts me girl )

Well neither are the original.  Only the white demo sterling stamped is an original.

The pink one is a legal reissue/remake which was done in the 1970's to satisfy the demand from the UK Northern Soul scene.  Made in the USA, only for export to the UK.

So I suppose the legal reissue is better to have than the white demo bootleg.

Great record!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

On 6/11/2017 at 08:07, jazz said:

oops qouted wrong posted.

Bleep said

i thought it did not get isued ori just on demo so the pink is orig brought out by record comp even though sent just to uk

My sentiments exactly, it just took at bit longer to get from Demo/Promo to being issued. It begs the question how long was the period between promo copies and issues normally, especially if the record eventually took off 1000's of miles away from where it was recorded ?.

Also, and forgive me if this has been asked before, what does the official release date mean, when promos went out or when issues were sent out ?. Did companies wait for orders to come in before issues were pressed up ?.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

On 2017-6-16 at 17:22, chalky said:

It didn't get issued initially, maybe because if the dustribution deal with Chess ending? The issue has different distributors. The issue still done by Red Coach and totally legit.  Most records are only ever pressed if there is demand. 

Chalky

Chess Records changed ownership just as the Carstairs stock copies were about to be sent out to distribution centres and in the ensuing turmoil Red Coach was left without a distributor. By the time a new deal with Pickwick was in place they must have not thought it worthwhile issuing the Carstairs as the demo copies sent to radio stations had not resulted in much interest, apart from Ian Levine. I can't be certain but I'm fairly sure pink Chess distributed copies would have been pressed but junked, just like London issues of Darrell Banks. The pink reissues were done when I ordered 1000 copies from the new distributor of Red Coach for Global Records in Manchester. It took about five weeks for the records to arrive so I assume Red Coach pressed these and were aware they were going to the UK.These sold within a week so we ordered a few thousand more. Other importers also sold the pink  copies. 

I don't agree with your last sentence. When I was working for Global records I never heard, or read, of any record only being pressed if there is demand. I've said this before but it is complete madness to sign an artist, record a session and then only press promo copies when the cost of pressing is so small compared to the money already spent. Any A&R manager who told his CEO that a new record was only going to be tested would have been sacked on the spot. Every record ,according to the A&R, man is a sure fire hit.

If a record got plays on radio stations the public wants the record next day not in a few weeks. I also worked in record shops for many years and know how the record buyers will want a record one week and by next week there is a newer record they want. Some people would order a new release but most would buy what the shop had that day. The abundance of US promos for most non hits is because distributors didn't have to send them back unlike the issue copies. There maybe some examples of records only being pressed on demos but not many and definitely not most. Those that were could be due to legal problems, artists getting called up or other problems. This theory seems to have been spread by record collectors without any evidence. Some US artists have grumbled that their record was not in the shops but that does not mean that they were not pressed.

Rick

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!