detroit academicals & Castaways

Chalky

loads of soul nights all playing the same records , think whats missing locally is a promoter whos prepared to put on a more upfront night , playingunknown , underplayed 60s /70s rare soul , on the odd occasion i visit a local soul night it seems very stale thats why i would rather travel 2-3 hours to venues like soul or nothing /lifeline etc where i can hear something different but seems i am in the minority as the masses like to hear the same .old old.

Used to travel to Northampton regular years ago for Neil Smith and Cliff Steele's Detroit Academicals, top night :thumbsup: If remember rightly one of my first forays into Northampton was Rushden and club called Castaways. Remember going to a local pub before hand and banging me head on wooden beams on ceiling.......think it was a pub for the local hobbits :P

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hi chalky as you know detroit academicals and the castaways were in the 80s both top nights for different reasons cliff and neil in northampton had a upfront music policy at the time and the castaways was generally only a twice a year event which used to pack em in 300+ not sure where you banged your head but a lot of interbreeding in these ere parts so stunted growth and web feet meant for low ceilings :thumbsup:

Social source share

hi chalky as you know detroit academicals and the castaways were in the 80s both top nights for different reasons cliff and neil in northampton had a upfront music policy at the time and the castaways was generally only a twice a year event which used to pack em in 300+ not sure where you banged your head but a lot of interbreeding in these ere parts so stunted growth and web feet meant for low ceilings :D

Bloody Hell, Castaways, use to love the soul nights there, Delxx

Social source share

=============

Hi Danny,

Yep it's in Souldrop near Sharnbrook, and has been completely levelled.

Got burned down first Win, there was talk of it turrning into a burger king or summin like that, shame it ended up like that would be a great all-nighter venue now :yes: gonna leave this for abit then split it and stick it in all our yesterdays, might be a few wanna talk about the place

Social source share

Got burned down first Win, there was talk of it turrning into a burger king or summin like that, shame it ended up like that would be a great all-nighter venue now :yes: gonna leave this for abit then split it and stick it in all our yesterdays, might be a few wanna talk about the place

==========

It started life as Sharnbrook Road House, disco complete with chicken and chips :thumbsup: Think it was around 73 time.

Social source share

==========

It started life as Sharnbrook Road House, disco complete with chicken and chips :yes: Think it was around 73 time.

Was Patrick doing the security there? :thumbsup:

Social source share

==========

It started life as Sharnbrook Road House, disco complete with chicken and chips :wicked: Think it was around 73 time.

remember first time I went to Castaways( bit later than '73 Win :unsure: ), Christmas eve I think, stopped at Gary & Floyd Zoboki's place. Came out of Castaways at end saw food van and I said I'm off for some snap (as we say up t'north), no one knew what I was on about rolleyes.gif

I've the ticket or flyer somewhere will see if I can find it.

Social source share

is that Del who used to be out with vicki? and elaine and hayley etc at the northampton dos me and sid clayton had many fun nights over there or is it a case of mistaken id

Yes tis I, babycakes, thumbsup.gif:unsure::elvis::wicked: hope you're well, yes they use to be fun nights didn't they, Delxx

Social source share

remember first time I went to Castaways( bit later than '73 Win :wicked: ), Christmas eve I think, stopped at Gary & Floyd Zoboki's place. Came out of Castaways at end saw food van and I said I'm off for some snap (as we say up t'north), no one knew what I was on about rolleyes.gif

I've the ticket or flyer somewhere will see if I can find it.

God, Gary Zoboki, that's a name from the past, first met Gary at tresham college, Kettering dring the late 70s,knew he was a soulie without even speaking to him,first time I went to Wigan was in his company along with Jane Reynolds, (mad jane) and her then boyfriend Dave,...Floyd was lovely.....bit mad tho!!!!! :unsure: Delxx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert