The Positives

Winnie :-)

Is it really all doom and gloom on the scene? What do you love about it? Hearing new sounds, hearing old soulnds, clapping, dancing, chatting discussing records. What venues do it for you, notice I've not said what venues don't. Danny's got a thread for things that annoy you. Is it the cameraderie, is it the fact that even though we have many cyber arguments, when we're at venues we're basically of one mind and one goal, out to enjoy ourselves. There must be other positives, lets hear them, but please keep the negatives out, Danny's thread can deal with that, and as Simsy says perhaps time for something more upbeat :thumbsup:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

• Replies 57
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The positivity is the music, there's a huge amount of negativity on internet forums (not just this one) but when music is discussed between like minded individuals, that's what it's really all about and you only have to check out the daily theme threads for proof of that - when you're listening to great music and sharing and discussing it with people are into the same kind of stuff then the negatives really are meaningless and unnecessary in the great scheme of things. One love and all that old bollocks!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just about all of it, Love dancing, once ime on the floor i cant get off, will dance to anything even if I dont know the record, much to the amusement of others i would guess, Looking through record boxes and finding somthing I like, Chating to people even if I do talk Bol**x

This has got to be the best music scene there is, It has it all whatever sub genre you happen to be into, Me I like some of all of them, from modern to R&B.

Long Live Northern Soul, If people want to be negative let them, we dont have to Join them.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The positivity is the music, there's a huge amount of negativity on internet forums (not just this one) but when music is discussed between like minded individuals, that's what it's really all about and you only have to check out the daily theme threads for proof of that - when you're listening to great music and sharing and discussing it with people are into the same kind of stuff then the negatives really are meaningless and unnecessary in the great scheme of things. One love and all that old bollocks!! :yes:

:thumbsup: Yep, it can't be beaten, whether its getting that new CD to play or the long term want in the post or just a trawl through the back of the record collection to listen to long neglected sounds, we're lucky to have access to all this wonderful music and despite all the bitching and p#ss taking thats finally what its all about. If I was American I'd now says something along the lines of "I love you guys", but I'm not and don't. :D

Social source share

The positivity is the music, there's a huge amount of negativity on internet forums (not just this one) but when music is discussed between like minded individuals, that's what it's really all about and you only have to check out the daily theme threads for proof of that - when you're listening to great music and sharing and discussing it with people are into the same kind of stuff then the negatives really are meaningless and unnecessary in the great scheme of things. One love and all that old bollocks!! :yes:

============

Yep, the music is the glue :thumbsup:

Social source share

Is it really all doom and gloom on the scene? What do you love about it? Hearing new sounds, hearing old soulnds, clapping, dancing, chatting discussing records. What venues do it for you, notice I've not said what venues don't. Danny's got a thread for things that annoy you. Is it the cameraderie, is it the fact that even though we have many cyber arguments, when we're at venues we're basically of one mind and one goal, out to enjoy ourselves. There must be other positives, lets hear them, but please keep the negatives out, Danny's thread can deal with that, and as Simsy says perhaps time for something more upbeat :thumbsup:

I'm aware of the negatives of the scene that have been expressed in many recent threads. However, yes the music generally is enough to keep me feeling upbeat. Knowing that whatever venue I choose to go to, there's a good chance I can have a dance and be with like-minded friendly souls. A few beers, maybe come away with some vinyl - that's enough for me to want to keep my hand in indefinitely. :yes:

Social source share

Great idea for a thread.

For me it's the love of the music first and foremost, but how many of us have made instant and long lasting friendships thanks to the rare soul scene? That's got to be a major positive.

Col

Definitely. :thumbsup:

Also the widening of knowledge and awareness of types of soul music that otherwise you may not have been aware of had it not been for forums like this and meeting and talking to and sharing tunes with people 'on the scene'. It can prove expensive but who cares!! :yes:

Social source share

Great idea for a thread.

For me it's the love of the music first and foremost, but how many of us have made instant and long lasting friendships thanks to the rare soul scene? That's got to be a major positive.

Col

=============

Yeah, a major positive for me too. Met some great people over the years, been there and supported me through crap times (sure that's the same for most of us) and even when you haven't seen each other for a year, theres no change, you're still friends. Time scales don't matter :thumbsup: Bearing in mind it sounds corny, the scene can become like an extended family.

Social source share

I'd go along with the posts so far. As far as I'm concerned nearly all good things about the soul scene.

I know that I can go along to an event by myself and have a good time, usually meet someone I know, but I've found people are generally friendly, or at least don't give you any hassle.

I love the music, nearly all styles, and haven't lost my taste for hearing a new sound (or at least new to me), despite the fact that I am probably one of the older people on the scene.

I've made so many good friends since coming back on the scene after a very long absence, wish I'd done it years sooner, but it certainly enhanced my life. Initially my wife wasn't so keen, guess she thought I was out on the pull, she must have looked at me with rose coloured spectacles. However when she started coming out with me, on the principle of, if you can't beat them join them, she enjoyed it very much and made plenty of friends. And when I lost her last year, the friends I've got helped me get through things. I can never thank them enough for that, not sure how I would have coped without the soul scene.

Everyone of us can find something to moan about, but let's be positive, we are very lucky to have the soul scene: sex, age, race, sexual orientation, etc doesn't matter, it is a place for adults (of all ages) to have a good time.

People are usually very willing to discuss the records played, and generally happy to pass on their knowledge, and often CDs, tapes, etc.

We are lucky to have it, long may it continue.

Social source share

I like that I can have a disagreement on here with, say Baz, and a couple of days later have a beer at a soul do discussing sounds we like. :D I'm struggling to think about anything about the scene I don't like to be honest. Most of what has bothered me is either in my own hands to change or out of the hands of the organisers of the function I'm attending. It's what you make it. Yer kenk get more positisve than that! :yes:

Social source share

Definitely. :thumbsup:

Also the widening of knowledge and awareness of types of soul music that otherwise you may not have been aware of had it not been for forums like this and meeting and talking to and sharing tunes with people 'on the scene'. It can prove expensive but who cares!! :D

===========

You're a bit of a 'wiseman' Rog, :yes: and have to agree with you, forums like this provide an ice breaker on so many occasions. Its like when you meet someone you already know them a bit

Social source share

I like that I can have a disagreement on here with, say Baz, and a couple of days later have a beer at a soul do discussing sounds we like. :D I'm struggling to think about anything about the scene I don't like to be honest. Most of what has bothered me is either in my own hands to change or out of the hands of the organisers of the function I'm attending. It's what you make it. Yer kenk get more positisve than that! :thumbsup:

=============

So true :yes: Sometimes I get so involved in arguments, I forget to take a step back, and remember the positives, but that's a failing on my part not the scenes. We can all find negatives, but most of the time its a question of looking really hard for them, whereas the positives, they're just there all the time, waiting to be remembered :(

Social source share

===========

You're a bit of a 'wiseman' Rog, :thumbsup:

Behind the often misinterpreted 'forum persona', I like to think so, Winnie!! :D:(:lol:

In the real world I don't think there's a great deal separating the majority of us mate, whatever genre of soul music takes our preference. :yes:

Social source share

Behind the often misinterpreted 'forum persona', I like to think so, Winnie!! :D:(:lol:

In the real world I don't think there's a great deal separating the majority of us mate, whatever genre of soul music takes our preference. :thumbsup:

============

When you focus on the positives, you can't help coming to that conclusion :yes: And would like to think that you, me everybody will have more positives than negatives

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

For me the scene is still what it always was, and what got me into going to Soul nights, with the same 4 guys, as opposed to The Ace of Clubs with 40 or 50 other mates.

It is somewhere to go to be completely safe, and where you can make real friendships with people, as opposed to trying not to get your head kicked in, and only talking to a girl so you can have herpes the next morning.

Musically my tastes havent changed too much. I didnt start going to soul nights or all dayers until 77. So by then many sounds were well established, but also the 'youthclub' sounds were still being played. Bobby Paris, Interplay, Romeo & Juliet etc etc. But what drove me to keep going (musically) was hearing these great tunes I didnt know.

Take Adams Apples. I can remember the first time I heard it at Yate. I was brousing through a box of Tim Ashibende's records and my neck hairs went up on end. I asked Tim who it was, and he pulled a copy out. I spent all the money I had left and had to borrow a couple of quid off a mate.

I was at Saracens for Nige's do recently. And I was still hearing records I didnt have a clue about, that 99% of the people in there knew like the back of their hand.

Thats what I love. For me when I get complacent and think I'm going to know everything here tonight, there will be a new tune that grabs my attention and makes the trip/door fee worth it. Even if 99% of the others know it.

Venues that do it for me, are every single one I have been to. I must be easily pleased, because if I am not enjoying a set, there is always someone to talk to.

Special mentions have to go to the 100 club. I felt like part of the furniture for a while. Met so many great people, and heard the best music bar none, since 'coming back' to Soul in 95. And the Cardiff niter in a couple of weeks, already has me with knots in my stomach. It is such a cracking venue, run by people you always want running a soul night. Real enthuaiasts, who more often than not make a loss, by carry on with their passion.

The Dome was and probably will always be the best soul night I have ever been to, but Lenny's do's in Wellingboro are exactly like the Cardiff niter. Run by enthusiats in Len and Nina. When you visit a night like this you cant help but have fun. And thats what we all want isnt it?

The Half Time Orange too should get a mention. I cant visit this as often as I'd like, but what a great soul night.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest the dukester

============

What a great looking venue, soz but my geography isn't great, where is Easington?

Easington is a village in Co Durham on the coast, about 8 miles from Sunderland.

Fantastic Venue for dancing and beer prices :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Have to agree with all the points so far.

Here are a few of my favourite things:

Hearing new sounds and running up to the DJ to ask about it.

Having friends round to the house early, few drinks and spin a few tunes.

Driving up to the do with friends and hearing all the excited banter.

Meeting friendly new people and they always seem to understand that you have to shoot off for a dance mid-sentence.

Good dance floor etiquette. We all try to avoid bumping into people, but it happens. It's so nice to see both parties turn round and apologies. I see it all the time :thumbsup:

The 2 hour goodbyes at the end of the night.

Chatting to people without them or their boyfriends thinking you're on the pull

The fact that you can leave your bag anywhere and it won't get touched.

People at the bar who say "he was here first"

Free flowing drinks, cigarettes and chewing gum. Share and share alike.

Service station meets for coffee afterwards - See Stafford services after Stoke :yes:

Promoting and flyering nights for friends and having it reciprocated

Driving back from a do, all the others are out cold. Just you, your favourite CD and an empty motorway.

Can't wait for the weekend now :D:(

Edited by Dr Pickles
Social source share

Just about all of it, Love dancing, once ime on the floor i cant get off, will dance to anything even if I dont know the record, much to the amusement of others i would guess, Looking through record boxes and finding somthing I like, Chating to people even if I do talk Bol**x

Hi Miff,

You weren't talking bol*ox last Fri unless I was too.. :D

This has got to be the best music scene there is, It has it all whatever sub genre you happen to be into, Me I like some of all of them, from modern to R&B.

Long Live Northern Soul, If people want to be negative let them, we dont have to Join them.

Agree with you on all the above, love all genre's too... :yes:

=============

Bearing in mind it sounds corny, the scene can become like an extended family.

Not corny at all Winnie, the scene has always been an extended family to most of us and to some has been their only family.... :(

Another positive from this scene apart from the things mention in the above post's, is you can go to a venue on your own and not be alone when you get there, always people you know....everyone's very friendly - well most... we all have lot's of male and female friends - must be the only scene where you know a bloke isn't trying to pull when he's chatting to you... :lol: Infact a few Married men on scene who's wife's not into the music... was just talking bout this last Sat nite, their wife's tried a nite out on the scene, and soon realised it's not a pick up joint - that people are there for the music n dancing - better than their husband down the pub etc they thought..... :thumbsup:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Meeting friendly new people and they always seem to understand that you have to shoot off for a dance mid-sentence.

Good dance floor etiquette. We all try to avoid bumping into people, but it happens. It's so nice to see both parties turn round and apologies. I see it all the time :thumbsup:

Service station meets for coffee afterwards - See Stafford services after Stoke :yes:

Driving back from a do, all the others are out cold. Just you, your favourite CD and an empty motorway.

Can't wait for the weekend now :D:(

Love it for all the above reasons,could'nt have put it better

Bazza

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

The best thing is telling someone( Normal) your into Northern Soul, especially that look that they get, a sort of bewildered lost look.

The characters as well do it for me, the people who just go along and enjoy themselves.

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Like people say their is a lot of negativity within the scene, but this is far outweighed by the friendliness and it never ceases to amaze me the distances people will and always have travelled to get to a soul night, nothing like a full dancefloor with the speakers pumping out peoples fave tunes...

easedance.jpg

Oh yes and how silly you will look for a Soul Event................

SITSUN2.jpg

Social source share

Oh yes and how silly you will look for a Soul Event................

SITSUN2.jpg

Quality!!! :thumbsup::yes::D

Been trying since day one to get to one of these holidays, but my missus just won't have it. Boooo-oooo-ooo-ooo, shame on you woman!! :(

Social source share

Quality!!! :yes::D:(

Been trying since day one to get to one of these holidays, but my missus just won't have it. Boooo-oooo-ooo-ooo, shame on you woman!! :lol:

============

It's a holiday, I thought it was edam/gouda national guard on manouvres :D

Something else I like, positivity is good for you in all its forms. negativity is just so draining, as Pickles said earlier, really looking forward to the weekend now, the people the music, dancing, laughing and not taking myself so seriously :thumbsup:

Social source share

Service station meets for coffee afterwards - See Stafford services after Stoke :D

Can't wait for the weekend now :(:lol:

What a great post! :yes:

This was what I was talking about Win. :D

Social source share

Good dance floor etiquette. We all try to avoid bumping into people, but it happens. It's so nice to see both parties turn round and apologies. I see it all the time thumbsup.gif

Service station meets for coffee afterwards - See Stafford services after Stoke :huh:

Can't wait for the weekend now :yes:yes.gif

What a great post! :ohmy:

This was what I was talking about Win. :P

===========

Yeah, sums up a lot of what is good about this scene, more good than bad. Would normally be on the grumpy 45 + thread myself, but am leaving it at the moment. Hopefully even those with pet hates have more pet likes :huh:

Social source share

I will explain everything i love about Northern Soul in one word,

Fucking brilliant

Whats there to be negative about its the best scene in the universe and i for one wouldnt want it to change one little bit. (except the prices of my wants list)

Ive met some top people and still everytime i venture out i seem to make some more friends so long may it continue.

Bearsy thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Is it really all doom and gloom on the scene? What do you love about it? Hearing new sounds, hearing old soulnds, clapping, dancing, chatting discussing records. What venues do it for you, notice I've not said what venues don't. Danny's got a thread for things that annoy you. Is it the cameraderie, is it the fact that even though we have many cyber arguments, when we're at venues we're basically of one mind and one goal, out to enjoy ourselves. There must be other positives, lets hear them, but please keep the negatives out, Danny's thread can deal with that, and as Simsy says perhaps time for something more upbeat thumbsup.gif

Hiya Ian.........Everyone has equal status be them A Dentist ,Labourer, Painter,Lawyer, Salesperson,Scientist, Teacher,Mechanic etc etc........IMO . :ohmy: ATB Steve

Social source share

I will explain everything i love about Northern Soul in one word,

Fucking brilliant

Whats there to be negative about its the best scene in the universe and i for one wouldnt want it to change one little bit. (except the prices of my wants list)

Ive met some top people and still everytime i venture out i seem to make some more friends so long may it continue.

Bearsy :ohmy:

I don't want to be negative but isn't that two words? whistling.gif

Like you Bearsy I've made more friends in my five short years on the scene than I did in the previous twenty. And I'm making friends with people I havn't even met yet, like when you come up to Northampton for the Gills game and get me that pint... :huh:

Social source share

Is that the biggest pic ever on SS. The positive being even the almost blind (like myself) can actually read the message on it smile.gif

Interesting the negative thread and this one are almost running neck and neck on posts, surely we're not really that grumpy all the time. Well I don't believe we are anyway :ohmy:

Social source share

Is that the biggest pic ever on SS. The positive being even the almost blind (like myself) can actually read the message on it :)

Interesting the negative thread and this one are almost running neck and neck on posts, surely we're not really that grumpy all the time. Well I don't believe we are anyway :)

Yeah it's kinda big .. :huh:

This thread's where it's at for sure. :thumbsup: Just been in 'Proper Soulies' .. :( What with that and other miz threads, oh dear oh dear .. No, looking at the Vontastics and Eddie Holland earlier on ebay and the excitement of pondering whether either or both should join the collection, gets the old collecting adrenaline juices going. So to speak. That and for reasons already stated, proves there's no future in being downbeat. :D

Social source share

My wife Jacqui pretty much captured the whole thing when she was interviewed for a TV thing many years ago she basically said "There's nothing quite like Soul Music....it's a feeling" and what i've read on here tonight so far everyone knows where she was coming from on that one, we are all pretty much cut from the same cloth here, we love what we do, we love what we stand for and most of all we love possibly the best music in the world, i for one am proud to be a part of this scene....it's for life i think we all know that even if we all don't agree or get on :thumbsup: thumbs up to the scene i say.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

My wife Jacqui pretty much captured the whole thing when she was interviewed for a TV thing many years ago she basically said "There's nothing quite like Soul Music....it's a feeling" and what i've read on here tonight so far everyone knows where she was coming from on that one, we are all pretty much cut from the same cloth here, we love what we do, we love what we stand for and most of all we love possibly the best music in the world, i for one am proud to be a part of this scene....it's for life i think we all know that even if we all don't agree or get on :thumbsup: thumbs up to the scene i say.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Yes .. "Nothing else grips yer heart like soul music does". Remember it well. :huh:

Social source share

Pretty much word perfect there mate, you know it better than me and i'm married to her...lol sums it up though which ever version you quote from.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

yes yes yes ... Full thingy was Whistle Test - Blackburn Allnighter doc; "It is it's a feeling, can't really put it in to words, just that nothing else grips yer heart like soul music does".

Interesting the negative thread and this one are almost running neck and neck on posts, surely we're not really that grumpy all the time. Well I don't believe we are anyway

Yep time for a 'Friday Pos Bump' I fancied .. :D

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

I don't want to be negative but isn't that two words? :lol:

Like you Bearsy I've made more friends in my five short years on the scene than I did in the previous twenty. And I'm making friends with people I havn't even met yet, like when you come up to Northampton for the Gills game and get me that pint... :lol:

Its only one word but it has a space in the middle thats all, :lol:

Maark im looking forward to that game and having a pint with you (my shout) and maybe even taking in a night up there too if there is one on.

Bearsy :thumbsup:

Social source share

Boom off like a F***ing time bomb.................BANG !!! just how I feel when you hear 'that' choon that is doin it for you at the moment............feel like my heart will explode from my chest, pumping in time to the beat................no feeling on earth that can compare to that, whilst ever I continue to get that feeling you'll find me on a dancefloor some where.

Russ

:lol::lol:

Social source share

Good dance floor etiquette. We all try to avoid bumping into people, but it happens. It's so nice to see both parties turn round and apologies. I see it all the time :lol:

Service station meets for coffee afterwards - See Stafford services after Stoke :P

Can't wait for the weekend now :lol::lol:

Being in a room with lots of bald blokes and not looking out of place....

Being able to have above "hair" style, pink shirt and matching earring studs, dancing on your own, along with a load of other blokes, having not turned up with a girl on your arm for at least 3 months and people STILL don't assume that you are gay...... :D

Being able to come home and dance in the kitchen for another hour or so and then coming on to soul source to share your drunken sh*t with everyone else.

Having the feeling that you may regret above post but knowing no one will really hold it against you.

Great weekend!! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

here is what i love :

dispite all of the sh#t-talking, chin-scratching, name-dropping, one-upping, grudge-holding, scene-rivalry(ing) and yank-slagging (this one's personal) when you hear that track that you have never heard before and it blows your f#%king miind, everything else in this small world of ours becomes non-existant and once again it is all about THE BRILLIANTLY TIMELESS MUSIC!!!

nothing else matters ... nowhere else matters. just you, the music, your friends and a pint. this is "keeping the faith." <-- yikes, i said/typed it.

kev

Social source share

Being in a room with lots of bald blokes and not looking out of place....

Being able to have above "hair" style, pink shirt and matching earring studs, dancing on your own, along with a load of other blokes, having not turned up with a girl on your arm for at least 3 months and people STILL don't assume that you are gay...... :lol:

Being able to come home and dance in the kitchen for another hour or so and then coming on to soul source to share your drunken sh*t with everyone else.

Having the feeling that you may regret above post but knowing no one will really hold it against you.

Great weekend!! :lol:

==============

Snap, excellent weekend. I know we spoke for some time, I wonder if anyone picked up on the fact I had on a pink t-shirt, and diamond studs in both ears. You did come up with something I thought very interesting, the intimidation factor to newer people on the scene. I never thought that a first timer might look at dancing as daunting because he/she is surrounded by people apparently knowing exactly what to do. I'll definitely try to be more considerate in the future :lol:

Something else that impressed me last night, the group of girls on the other side of the room, I wasn't sure if they were all soulies or not, I suspect the latter, but when one of them had an epileptic fit, the music stopped and everybody tried to help her. Genuine concern amongst the group I was standing with, and not an immediate reaction of she must be drunk. Sometimes you've just got to love the people on this scene :P:D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert