Does this poster look suspect?

Ian Parker

2 hours ago, IanP said:

I'm a tad confused by dates (or lack of) on it... As far as I know, The Real Thing didn't have a number 1 until 1976, plus Feel the need in me wasn't too far before that. 

Is this a 'faux' poster, or did the Torch carry on after the Niters stopped early 73?

DSC_0166.JPG

Hi Ian,the part where it mentions The Real Thing & and  the No1's....is No1's a reference to the DJ's,and not TRT's hits?.....

anyway,did you manage to get your Eddie Garrigan sorted out?:thumbsup:

Edited by MGM 1251
Social source share

I would say it was real, Saturday March 3rd would make it 1973, Plastic Man was released Jan 73 for the Real Thing and they were doing the rounds promoting that here and in Europe at that time as chalky said the number 1's may have referred to something else, this flyer just looks rushed e.g number 1 spinner is wrong too they would have normally said spinners or king spinners, I thing simply rushed or errors by printer, colour looks correct, the Torch was in trouble it was almost over I'd even guess that was the last ever flyer....

Social source share

Northern Soul fans win right to protect clenched fist logo from trademark

Northern Soul fans have won a battle to prevent the music scene’s famous “clenched fist” logo being trademarked by a shop in Manchester after persuading the copyright authorities that the movement’s symbols belong to all its participants.

Edited by theothertosspot
Social source share

59 minutes ago, chalky said:

The one on ebay looks more authentic even though a repro. 

March 16th 1973, thats when the license was refused so I guess not long after was the end. 

I have to add I meant I think that's a real flyer the Torch produced,  the one shown on here I have no idea!

Social source share

1 minute ago, Kenb said:

thanks Jez,

yes i've seen these. and was wondering if there was ever a "Torch" branded prog with a clenched fist. personally-i think not.

As I remember they were all had logo of a Torch.....I also remember other promotional flyers that were 'gold' .....or that may be the newer membership cards...memory fails :-)

Social source share

Whether the poster is actually "original" or not I could not say for sure, but it looks pretty much like some of the stuff I have from around then.

The Real Thing were doing the soul circuit in the UK a long time before they had any hit records, I think some of them were originally in a group called The Chants who were going from the early 60's. As for the Detroit Emeralds, Do Me Right Westbound/Pye was a massive play when it came out in 1971. Their Ric-Tic sides were also known although only Showtime got limited play back then. I know both acts appeared at the Torch as I was there on both nights, I met the Detroit Emeralds in Chris Burton's office before the gig.

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Whether the poster is actually "original" or not I could not say for sure, but it looks pretty much like some of the stuff I have from around then.

The Real Thing were doing the soul circuit in the UK a long time before they had any hit records, I think some of them were originally in a group called The Chants who were going from the early 60's. As for the Detroit Emeralds, Do Me Right Westbound/Pye was a massive play when it came out in 1971. Their Ric-Tic sides were also known although only Showtime got limited play back then. I know both acts appeared at the Torch as I was there on both nights, I met the Detroit Emeralds in Chris Burton's office before the gig.

'The Real Thing' appeared at Paynes Cafe Royal a few times around '70 - '72 and were known as 'Vocal Perfection' back then. I think they changed their name when they appeared on Opportunity Knocks.

Social source share

The clenched fist is a Go jo -Ryu karate Symbol and badge to wear on your Gi I know I trained in that particular martial art for a number of years and taught it to my employees it is in its purity a street style of combat not a sport very effective where it's popular on the west coast of America if a NS walked in a Do jo there he would think he d gone home

Regards ML

• Up vote 1
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

The clenched fist is a Go jo -Ryu karate Symbol and badge to wear on your Gi I know I trained in that particular martial art for a number of years and taught it to my employees it is in its purity a street style of combat not a sport very effective where it's popular on the west coast of America if a NS walked in a Do jo there he would think he d gone home

Regards ML

never knew that!  I was a Gojo Ryu student too (BBA) .....have a job touching me toes now though!

Social source share

1 minute ago, theothertosspot said:

Were the Real Thing formerly the Chants who cut "Baby I don't need your love" on RCA (UK).

Used to have a copy, may still have it somewhere. It's a great UK record (imo)

...could well be,didn't they also release 3xPye singles and 1xChipping Norton"I've been trying".....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

So , 

Internation Soul Club always used the Black clenched fist as their logo , but I’ve never seen this on any Torch related stuff other than the flyer posted here and the repro one on eBay . Does anyone have any others ?

That said , it did get used a lot around this time and don’t forget the 1968 Olympics with Tommie Smith and John Carlos , infamous human rights salute .

AD1691F0-BA1A-44BF-9055-A0B972A6D431.jpeg

EF071787-BB26-43B5-8100-588B79AA1634.jpeg

7DFC82E6-0054-4FA9-96D4-1C8C40C44470.jpeg

A0063794-BA90-4F10-B21A-8D6CF871BC58.jpeg

Social source share

5 hours ago, stevegods said:

So , 

Internation Soul Club always used the Black clenched fist as their logo , but I’ve never seen this on any Torch related stuff other than the flyer posted here and the repro one on eBay . Does anyone have any others ?

That said , it did get used a lot around this time and don’t forget the 1968 Olympics with Tommie Smith and John Carlos , infamous human rights salute .

That was my understanding too Steve

Social source share

7 hours ago, stevegods said:

So , 

The top two are from 74 and other two from 73, so does that suggest Top Rank first used the logo? 

Any flyers between the dates of Jan to Aug 73 about anywhere (obviously not Torch ones after March)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!