Some history on this one please.

A big record, certainly a favourite of mine, absolutely love it and always have, still played today it always gets a good response from the floor. I'd like to know more, about the band (part of the vocal always reminds me of Houghton Weavers), it's discovery, history on the scene, first plays etc...

An enduring sound and a great record for dancers! No other record shouts 'Northern soul' at me louder than this one! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 00:16, local said:

Great record in its day but sounds very dated now, imho.

First played to my knowledge circa 1972 Highland Room by Tony Jebb.

On the night he also played in the same set, again for the first time,The Isleys - Tell me it’s just a rumour 

You need to bare in mind that at this time hardly any Tamla / Motown Records ever got played on the emerging  Northern Scene. 

Anyhow,Tell me etc caused that much positive interest that when it finished he (Tony Jebb) picked the arm up and returned it to the run in, saying something like “this is so good I’m gonna play it again”

Magic moment that I will never forget.

I agree with you it does sound very dated, one of my favourite things about it.

Thanks for this input!

Social source share

13 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

The band are actually Cashman, Pistilli & West (and obviously some tight rhythm section). 3 white guys who had an album on ABC and various other 45's on ABC....here's an example from 1968...

cashman-pistilli-and-west-but-for-love-abc.jpg.9b24766ce74c5791ad319de924547414.jpg

1634887630_cashmanpistilliwest.jpg.5328051c0f00e63312c10e3c39d8aa4d.jpg

Oh, I saw the names on the credits but had no idea! Quality info thankyou!

Social source share

When I used to go to the Torch in Stoke, this had just started getting played, so early 70s?
There was a small record shop just down the road from where I lived in Leeds that I used to frequent.
They always had a few imports in there, and this day I went in and found 6 copies of this for 20p each.
I took them all to the Torch the week after and sold each one for £20 within half an hour of getting there, there were crowds round me trying to buy one, bet I could have sold 20 of em. That was far more than a months wage for me at that time, as you can imagine I was made up and spent a lot of it on other records. Ah! The good old days 🙂

Social source share

Just now, Northern Soul UK said:

When I used to go to the Torch in Stoke, this had just started getting played, so early 70s?
There was a small record shop just down the road from where I lived in Leeds that I used to frequent.
They always had a few imports in there, and this day I went in and found 6 copies of this for 20p each.
I took them all to the Torch the week after and sold each one for £20 within half an hour of getting there, there were crowds round me trying to buy one, bet I could have sold 20 of em. That was far more than a months wage for me at that time, as you can imagine I was made up and spent a lot of it on other records. Ah! The good old days 🙂

Fantastic! Mine was a gift from a lady, I use the term loosely!

Love it, still have it, this is one of those real oldies that the new crowd absolutely love! To me it'll never get old, so many dynamics, a wonderful record!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!