Choker Campbell

Simsy

Watched the rather excellent 'Standing in the shadows of Motown' the other night, fully expecting our man Choker to get a mention, but nowt!

I know the Funk Brothers were the Funk Brothers etc and Choker Campbell and his band had been around since the dawn of time and ended up at Motown. However beyond that I'm a little hazy on the subject. Any more info from CC experts warmly welcomed.

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Lady Maverick

Choker Campbell had 1 album on Motown called CHOKER CAMPBELL AND HIS 16 PIECE BAND. Tracks included:

Baby love

Come see about me

Where did our love go

Dancing in the street

Baby, I need your loving

That's what love is made of

Wild one

Mickey's monkey

Heat wave

Pride and joy

Hitch hike

Fingertips

If memory serves me correctly, there is information on him in Bill Dahl's Motown Book.

Edited by Lady Maverick
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Choker was a cross dressing band leader, who got his name from the Diamante Choker he wore during performances.

A humorous idea, but just an urban myth and nothing more - he played sax and the 'Choker' came from his way of 'Choking' the notes. He's not the only tenor man to carry this nickname, but he's probably the most famous one!

Choker's band did indeed back Joe Turner in the 50s, both on record (the wonderful "Love Roller Coaster" and on film). Prior to that he'd been an Atlantic artist himself in the early 50s. With his band, Choker also recorded for Everlast, Fortune and Lucky, among other labels, between 1949 and 1958 as well as Motown in the 60s, of course.

TONE

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

And one i just made up....

a bit like him being Golfing buddies with the Boston Strangler (another kind of Choker... geddit)

:lol:

...that thud you hear in the middle distance is the sound of a penny dropping - right on my thick head...

...although you've come up with a great idea for a thread there - soul transvestites! I'll thrown Bobby Marchan, Jackie Shane and the great gospel singer Wilmer "Little Ax" Broadnax into the pot for starters....

TONE :P

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Thanks dudes. :P

Wasn't sure if he/they did session stuff, or purely and act...

Um...I am a female... :lol::D:D

Edited by Lady Maverick
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Um...I am a female... :lol::D:D

Me too....who sometimes cross dresses...you try putting two legs in one leg of a pair of tights.....makes you very cross :D:( Tony will probably correct me but I thought Choker and his band were the 'road' band in the early days while Earl and the boys stayed in the studio....Didn't Marvin Gaye's dad cross dress? and Esku Reader (Esquritta....not sure about the spelling) - but the inspiration for Little Richard....who was a voyeur :P I'll get my coat :D Jo

Social source share

I know mate, your avatar is a clue. 'Dudes' just general unisex friendly term. biggrin.gif

Dudes, :yes: youve been watchin` to much,neighbours...........Dudes,how sad :lol:

PS,idont want to be called a "camel`s penis".

Edited by ken
Social source share

Tony will probably correct me but I thought Choker and his band were the 'road' band in the early days while Earl and the boys stayed in the studio....Didn't Marvin Gaye's dad cross dress? and Esku Reader (Esquritta....not sure about the spelling) - but the inspiration for Little Richard....who was a voyeur :lol: I'll get my coat :yes: Jo

Yeah thought similar. This is why I thought it a bit 'rum' that he didn't get a mention in the dvd.

Esqurita and Little Richard hard to tell apart in some pics..

12054575cc3db606c.jpg

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

:yes:laugh.gif Tony will probably correct me but I thought Choker and his band were the 'road' band in the early days while Earl and the boys stayed in the studio....Didn't Marvin Gaye's dad cross dress? and Esku Reader (Esquritta....not sure about the spelling) - but the inspiration for Little Richard....who was a voyeur :lol: I'll get my coat :D Jo

...You thought right vis a vis Choker and the Funk Bros, m'dear .and yes, Marvin Sr. and Esquerita both liked to sport the odd bit of lingerie. here and there.

I'd leave that coat where it is if I were in your (old) shoes :lol:

TONE

Social source share

...You thought right vis a vis Choker and the Funk Bros, m'dear .and yes, Marvin Sr. and Esquerita both liked to sport the odd bit of lingerie. here and there.

TONE

Found out today that 'Standing in Shadows' is a twin DVD and we'd only watched one. I'm still doubting though there'd be any mention of Mr Campbell on the other disc. Unless anyone knows any different?

Fine for a flamboyant performer like Esqurita to wear hose I guess. But Marvin's dad!? A preacher, who had the temerity to lecture Marvin Jr on the shortcomings of performing Devil's music, whilst all the while dressing like Gloria Swanson! :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert