Record Prices

Guest Simon

Everytime i see someone asking for a record price on here i am replying with what i've seen records for sale at & what i think is a fair price.

Everytime i do this someone seems to add at least £25 quid on to the price, even things like 'Geni' which i thought was a nailed on 50 quidder up for £75, Carl Carlton 'I can feel it' a nailed on 30 quidder up for £80 & the one that really generated some interest 'Mr big shot' which i saw at a steady £20 for at least 8 years!

Are these new hefty prices what people can really sell them for or is it just people like John who has a massive audience at his disposal that can sell them for these prices?

I also get the feeling that some people enjoy paying lots of money for a record for some reason or are just a bit blaise' about the prices.

Discuss

Simon hypo.gif

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Stuart T

Inflation mate, as I keep saying, its all Gordon Brown's fault when he devolved interest rate setting to an independent Bank of England committe. Vote Conservative, "Call Me Dave" Dave Cameron has promised to ensure that the price of northern soul records is reduced to a both sustainable and manageable level that reflects underlying pan European inflationary trends, this goes hand in hand with his hug a record dealer initiative.

Social source share

But on the plus side of this is that the pound is worth nearly $2 so buying from the US is great at the moment. Check out some of the prices on Gemm that are in $ and may have been set awhile. The pound is predicted to reach $2 sooner rather than later (BBC source).

BH

PS, but not so good for our American friends sad.gif

Social source share

Inflation mate, as I keep saying, its all Gordon Brown's fault when he devolved interest rate setting to an independent Bank of England committe. Vote Conservative, "Call Me Dave" Dave Cameron has promised to ensure that the price of northern soul records is reduced to a both sustainable and manageable level that reflects underlying pan European inflationary trends, this goes hand in hand with his hug a record dealer initiative.

laugh.gif

Hug a record dealer, more like mug a punter at some of todays prices!

Simon

Social source share

Guest eedeecee

Everytime i see someone asking for a record price on here i am replying with what i've seen records for sale at & what i think is a fair price.

Everytime i do this someone seems to add at least £25 quid on to the price, even things like 'Geni' which i thought was a nailed on 50 quidder up for £75, Carl Carlton 'I can feel it' a nailed on 30 quidder up for £80 & the one that really generated some interest 'Mr big shot' which i saw at a steady £20 for at least 8 years!

Are these new hefty prices what people can really sell them for or is it just people like John who has a massive audience at his disposal that can sell them for these prices?

I also get the feeling that some people enjoy paying lots of money for a record for some reason or are just a bit blaise' about the prices.

Discuss

Simon :wicked:

be smart and travel! Just came back from the record fair in Utrecht in Holland and saw a few UK guys going nuts over freshly imported boxes filled to the rim with mint untouched American Soul 45's...all going at a price of EUR 4-5 each!!!

Jackie Lee on Mirwood, stuff on Stax, Motown, rarities etc etc...

so why not say bye to your local moneydrain and save those pounds for a trip abroad??

Along with the records come the local coffeeshops and cheap beer too... wicked.gif

Edited by eedeecee
Social source share

Some folk still won't play a tune if its at a real cheap price,if a cheapie goes up in price then they think its getting plays again and buy :wicked: ..I know people who don't look for tune under £50 and miss many great tracks,many start at 50 quid and above and so some dealers put cheapies over that mark too... There are many fools playing overpriced average tunes because of the cost and not the quality.. :lol: ..If the dj stand is just full of the folk out there with the most cash to spend then its a sad world for me...I like to see thought out sets from people who can't spend big but have to mix it up with underplayed cheaper stuff..I am told there are moneybags djs who just buy big but have no soul?? could this be true rolleyes.gif ...

Social source share

Some folk still won't play a tune if its at a real cheap price,if a cheapie goes up in price then they think its getting plays again and buy :lol: ..I know people who don't look for tune under £50 and miss many great tracks,many start at 50 quid and above and so some dealers put cheapies over that mark too... There are many fools playing overpriced average tunes because of the cost and not the quality.. :D ..If the dj stand is just full of the folk out there with the most cash to spend then its a sad world for me...I like to see thought out sets from people who can't spend big but have to mix it up with underplayed cheaper stuff..I am told there are moneybags djs who just buy big but have no soul?? could this be true rolleyes.gif ...

:wicked:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Typical bloody Tories. Getting it wrong, just to prove a point!

Everybody knows Northern Soul records prices are in the CPI, not the RPI.

CPI is the European comparison favoured at the moment because it is below our inflation. So if the prices are all to Kok, blame our mainland buddies whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Typical bloody Tories. Getting it wrong, just to prove a point!

Everybody knows Northern Soul records prices are in the CPI, not the RPI.

CPI is the European comparison favoured at the moment because it is below our inflation. So if the prices are all to Kok, blame our mainland buddies whistling.gif

More Labour disinformation! Ther is an obvious and clear advantage in pegging ourselves to CPI and also not relying on the grossly misrepresentative RPI (as turned into a pile of cr#p by Gordon by excluding house prices) and also adjusting inflation per sector to show how bad our underlying position is. Under a Conservative government we would at least know how far up the creek without a paddle we actually are....

Social source share

More Labour disinformation! Ther is an obvious and clear advantage in pegging ourselves to CPI and also not relying on the grossly misrepresentative RPI (as turned into a pile of cr#p by Gordon by excluding house prices) and also adjusting inflation per sector to show how bad our underlying position is. Under a Conservative government we would at least know how far up the creek without a paddle we actually are....

Will you two please stop hijacking my thread with your Tory & Labour rambling!

I thankyou

Sir Ming laugh.gif

Social source share

Some folk still won't play a tune if its at a real cheap price,if a cheapie goes up in price then they think its getting plays again and buy :D ..I know people who don't look for tune under £50 and miss many great tracks,many start at 50 quid and above and so some dealers put cheapies over that mark too... There are many fools playing overpriced average tunes because of the cost and not the quality.. :yes: ..If the dj stand is just full of the folk out there with the most cash to spend then its a sad world for me...I like to see thought out sets from people who can't spend big but have to mix it up with underplayed cheaper stuff..I am told there are moneybags djs who just buy big but have no soul?? could this be true :D ...

whistling.gif:wicked::lol: ...ehm... Guilty...

Social source share

Discuss

Simon hypo.gif

Simon,

agree with you, but not about the £25 more... On the Auction section of one of the biggest dealers website, I've recently seen an Eddie Spencer "If This Is Love" on Canadian Arc at £250... Here there are £150 more...

Edited by Roccia
Social source share

one of the dealers i know said that they often try their luck over pricing records to see who is interested and then knock a bit off the price to get a sale , they said if you start high then you can come down and the buyer thinks hes got a good deal but if you start at a lower price you cant haggle upwards.

Social source share

Simon,

agree with you, but not about the £25 more... On the Auction section of one of the biggest dealers website, I've recently seen an Eddie Spencer "If This Is Love" on Canadian Arc at £250... Here there are £150 more...

Sorry, incorrect... the Eddie Spencer wasn't on auction, but a normal sale... £250 price...

Social source share

one of the dealers i know said that they often try their luck over pricing records to see who is interested and then knock a bit off the price to get a sale , they said if you start high then you can come down and the buyer thinks hes got a good deal but if you start at a lower price you cant haggle upwards.

I've done that a couple of times :lol: But usually I'm looking for a quick sale and sell things cheap, can't afford to go through all that haggle just for a few quid. These days I sell on Gemm and have priced everything by the lowest prices my competitors had (equal or below the lowest price listed on Gemm when I listed my records). No use selling for a high price if the competition is too great. :shhh:

Social source share

Some folk still won't play a tune if its at a real cheap price,if a cheapie goes up in price then they think its getting plays again and buy :yes: ..I know people who don't look for tune under £50 and miss many great tracks,many start at 50 quid and above and so some dealers put cheapies over that mark too... There are many fools playing overpriced average tunes because of the cost and not the quality.. :yes: ..If the dj stand is just full of the folk out there with the most cash to spend then its a sad world for me...I like to see thought out sets from people who can't spend big but have to mix it up with underplayed cheaper stuff..I am told there are moneybags djs who just buy big but have no soul?? could this be true :shhh: ...

I myself have played many a record under £50. Firm believer that along with rarer stuff throw in some cheapies and then at least there's some there the punters can afford if they don't know and wish to buy. At least half my last set were under £50.

Played Carl Carlton for a while, £80 :lol: Butch has or had these at £20 or £30, and thats recently cause I put someone onto a copy he had. Have seen Geni for around £60 in recent times so wouldn't have thought £75 too ridiculous and as for Gene Chandler, we've been there already :lol:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Will you two please stop hijacking my thread with your Tory & Labour rambling!

I thankyou

Sir Ming :lol:

:yes:

Remind me, which one is Ming again? :shhh:

Social source share

Discuss

Simon :shades:

Simon

Just had a look at 3 pages in the Sales section and although I see you plenty of times whining on about the prices of records I couldn't actually see a list of your records for sale. Your Carl Carlton example was from a list of maybe 200 records I posted the other day, if you do post any records you will appreciate the amount of time it takes to compile the list. If you have posted a list of records for sale perhaps you can point me in the right direction so I can take the piss out of your work.

So in your opinion I got it wrong on 1 or 2 records ok it happens but in my opinion compared to some of the shit that makes big money, Carl Carlton is worth £80. Do you contact all of the big dealers to whine about the price of their records? Perhaps you should spend more time trawling thousands of records on Ebay where maybe, if your lucky, be able to find a copy of Carl Carlton for the 30 dollars you want to pay for it, for that matter you can probably get any record for a quarter to half the price you'll ever see it on here or any British dealers list or take Chalkys advice and snap one up off Butch.

Let us know when you've got one shades.gif

Social source share

Simon

Just had a look at 3 pages in the Sales section and although I see you plenty of times whining on about the prices of records I couldn't actually see a list of your records for sale. Your Carl Carlton example was from a list of maybe 200 records I posted the other day, if you do post any records you will appreciate the amount of time it takes to compile the list. If you have posted a list of records for sale perhaps you can point me in the right direction so I can take the piss out of your work.

So in your opinion I got it wrong on 1 or 2 records ok it happens but in my opinion compared to some of the shit that makes big money, Carl Carlton is worth £80. Do you contact all of the big dealers to whine about the price of their records? Perhaps you should spend more time trawling thousands of records on Ebay where maybe, if your lucky, be able to find a copy of Carl Carlton for the 30 dollars you want to pay for it, for that matter you can probably get any record for a quarter to half the price you'll ever see it on here or any British dealers list or take Chalkys advice and snap one up off Butch.

Let us know when you've got one shades.gif

Woah, steady on Dazz, nothing personal against you mate, i couldn't even remember who posted up the Carl carlton, just remembered it in the back of my head.

I've only questioned about three records on here & that includes one that John Manship posted up & i've got total respect for him so please don't take it the wrong way, surely we're all allowed to question the prices & to be honest people have backed me up on a few of my 'sensible' prices.

I rarely put up a list but if i do i'll be more than happy for anybody to question the prices especially as there's a lot of people on here a lot more knowledgeable than myself.

Apologies if i've caused any offence

Simon

Social source share

Woah, steady on Dazz, nothing personal against you mate, i couldn't even remember who posted up the Carl carlton, just remembered it in the back of my head.

I've only questioned about three records on here & that includes one that John Manship posted up & i've got total respect for him so please don't take it the wrong way, surely we're all allowed to question the prices & to be honest people have backed me up on a few of my 'sensible' prices.

I rarely put up a list but if i do i'll be more than happy for anybody to question the prices especially as there's a lot of people on here a lot more knowledgeable than myself.

Apologies if i've caused any offence

Simon

None taken mate thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert