One Moment In Time

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Inspired by the 'Bring Back' thread.

What moment in time from your soul history would you love to have back again?

For me, the first spin of 'Suspicion' at Stafford.

The opening bars were like dropping a stick of dynamite. I also remember it was played to a full dance floor, so must have followed a top tune of the day.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Inspired by the 'Bring Back' thread.

What moment in time from your soul history would you love to have back again?

For me, the first spin of 'Suspicion' at Stafford.

The opening bars were like dropping a stick of dynamite. I also remember it was played to a full dance floor, so must have followed a top tune of the day.

======

remember these days very well intown,,even the days when they spun it 5/6 times a nite all at different speeds!!

my magic moment would have to be the 2nd anniversary allniter at leicester oddfellows - one the best single all niters ive ever been to ....atmosphere to die for!

Edited by wiganer1
Social source share

I've got a few:

The postie delivering Ernie Wheelright single to my door.

Djing at the Capitol Soul club.

Any one of the Brighton alldayers when it was absolutely buzzing, a real mixture of relief & being seriously chuffed.

First ever Cleethorpes weekender i went to (think it was the third weekender) walked in the hall for the first time & Brenda Holloway's 'Reconsider' was blasting out, absolute heaven.

Simon

Social source share

For me it has to be the feeling waiting to be let in to TOTW, for my first allniter. watching the nightclub people leave and being shown into a small room at the top I think, before the other rooms opened up. I was 16 and had been going to soul nites and alldayers for quite a while but not an allniter.

I can't quite describe the feeling but it was a mixture of loads of excitement, anticipation,apprehension and a little fear. Obviously didn't know at that point what an impact that night would have. :thumbsup:

I went to many niters after that and enjoyed most of them, but if I could go back to one moment that would be the it. :lol:

Edited by Lucy
Social source share

So Mikey that would have been in mine and Dave's spot, so thank you for that.

I don't know where this different speed lark arose. That first cut was taken from a tape done by Tom Depierro's business partner from original tapes/acetates [don't know which really] that they'd listened to but rejected for that first unissued Motown compilation "From the Vaults"

I certainly didn't speed it up or slow it down. Wouldn't know how to.

A reasonably interesting aside. The guy who pressed the acetates for us, I forget his name, was the producer of that Maisonettes 45 that came out after he'd done the job for us. On that first tape was that instr of "On the avenue" done by Jimmy Ruffin as "In the neighbourhood". If you listen to that Maisonettes it sounds like that track but altered around.

ROD

Social source share

Walking in through the doors to the Highland Room at the Mecca for the first time and hearing Little Queenie, the atmosphere was sensational, the dance floor was heaving and I knew there and then that this scene was something special and would continue to enthrall and delight us all for years to come

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mark. I dont remember them playing all the different speed versions. Mind you if I saw Dave in the street in the week fiollowing the niter, I would try to find out the name of a record, while not remembering anything about it. Cue puzzled look from Dave.

Rod. I cant imagine how exciting that must be. Holding a tune that was brand new to the scene, and knowing what a great tune it is. Over the years the booting and overplaying had slightly diminished the overall...aura of the track. but that energy from that night is a memory as fresh now as it was the following morning.

Gene. I'm sure we could all do that. I had a chance of Anthony and the Aqualads for a tenner or a Marvin Gaye Lonely Lover rip off. Guess which one I plumped for. :thumbsup:

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

So Mikey that would have been in mine and Dave's spot, so thank you for that.

I don't know where this different speed lark arose. That first cut was taken from a tape done by Tom Depierro's business partner from original tapes/acetates [don't know which really] that they'd listened to but rejected for that first unissued Motown compilation "From the Vaults"

I certainly didn't speed it up or slow it down. Wouldn't know how to.

A reasonably interesting aside. The guy who pressed the acetates for us, I forget his name, was the producer of that Maisonettes 45 that came out after he'd done the job for us. On that first tape was that instr of "On the avenue" done by Jimmy Ruffin as "In the neighbourhood". If you listen to that Maisonettes it sounds like that track but altered around.

ROD

Fantastic!

I've often wondered how the Masionettes 45 sounded so "Motowny"..

Didn't the tapes come from our friend Mark Edmund or was it Bob Cat?? I think he pulled "Spellbound" Martha & The Vandellasfrom the same tapes.

I acquired the original "Suspicion" 10" acetate from Sousann a fewyears later. Then sold it to Gary Field for what was then, considered a fortune!! Today he got the bargain of a lifetime!

My revisted time would be when I sold "Suspicion", given a 2nd. chance back in time, I never would have sold it.. or the unissued 4 Tops Workshop Jazz LP which I got in the same batch.

Social source share

I think we sent tapes to a guy in Birmingham but can't remember his name.

No John, they came from Bob Klein who was a [silent] partner of Tom in Airwave records. As usual I can't remember all the intricate details of what went on but I guess they must have been acetates cos Im sure Bob said they kinda took them home unofficially to tape. Whether they all went back to Motown vaults I don't know.

There was another LA dealer who was selling Motown acetates sometime in early 80's. Forgot his name too but he was quite well-known at the time. Maybe he got them from Tom who had a pretty lavish lifestyle to finance.

Doesn't surprise me about Sousson. He knew Tom well and Bob told me it was from Tom's collection that Sousson "acquired" that copy of Frank Wilson. I think an Andantes went walkabout at the same time.

ROD

Social source share

I would probably have to say the 5 record sets, 3 times in the night, at the Bournemouth Town Hall. My first encounter and my last memory to be honest. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I find it hard to remember anything that happened more than a few years ago unsure.gif although one memory is vivid and that's stepping out of the back door on Morcambe pier (early 80s?) standing at the railing with the cold air drying the sweat off me and the sea crashing around beneath me and thumping soul through the open door behind me.

Truly surreal. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert