Posted

Was going through one of my Boxes this Morning and Pulled out my Johnny Hendley Single My Baby came from out of nowhere 45

and realised what a great and wonderful record it is for its Time, prompted by this searched out John and the weirdest single from my shelves (two great sides on this one)

First on Mutt & Jeff and the other on Tie Both released in 1967 and wondered  given the quality of both singles what happened to them, did they go on to record any other singles with name changes where they orignated etc. 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 15
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apart from the actual joy of listening to the music those few words some up one of the other delights of collecting, I remember back when I first started my own journey into soul music and the missed

Ed. Johnny Hendley, Johnny Hampton.  I can't separate them on how good I think they are. Just fantastic,  You do see Johnny Hampton for sale occasionally but I can't remember ever seeing a Johnny Hend

Brrrrrr yeh! Top 100... Think he inspired COTB 'give me just a little more time'..brrrp. Johnny Hampton is a league above though.....top 10 Ed

Posted Images

Posted
6 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

Was going through one of my Boxes this Morning and Pulled out my Johnny Hendley Single My Baby came from out of nowhere 45

and realised what a great and wonderful record it is for its Time, prompted by this searched out John and the weirdest single from my shelves (two great sides on this one)

First on Mutt & Jeff and the other on Tie Both released in 1967 and wondered  given the quality of both singles what happened to them, did they go on to record any other singles with name changes where they orignated etc. 

Rick. Loved it at Wigan.  My baby came out of nowhere is a rare record.  

Ste

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Rick. Loved it at Wigan.  My baby came out of nowhere is a rare record.  

Ste

Yes Steve Superb,

I bought my Original off John Manship  at the Cleethorpes Pier in the 70s unfortunately never had the chance of an original of the John & The Weirdest and made do with the 2nd issue hoping one would come my way but it never did unfortunately, it too is rare as you well know, Two Great Singles from One Great Artist  

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
58 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

Like yourself Rick, I enjoy thumbing through the boxes when I’m in the mood, and what a great feeling it must be to hold a copy of Johnny Hendley or John and the Weirdest. Two great records way up high on my Wants List. Sorry, no info on the artists but I bracket them together with Johnny Hampton - only stumbled across the three of them in the 80’s and they all feature on a ‘best of the best’ mix-tape I did back in the 90’s.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Brrrrrr yeh! Top 100...

Think he inspired COTB 'give me just a little more time'..brrrp.

Johnny Hampton is a league above though.....top 10

Ed

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Brrrrrr yeh! Top 100...

Think he inspired COTB 'give me just a little more time'..brrrp.

Johnny Hampton is a league above though.....top 10

Ed

Ed. Johnny Hendley, Johnny Hampton.  I can't separate them on how good I think they are. Just fantastic,  You do see Johnny Hampton for sale occasionally but I can't remember ever seeing a Johnny Hendley. 

Great memories of very special times . 

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
18 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

, and what a great feeling it must be to hold a copy of Johnny Hendley or John and the Weirdest.

Apart from the actual joy of listening to the music those few words some up one of the other delights of collecting, I remember back when I first started my own journey into soul music and the missed heartbeat coming across a Blue Stax record which though common to find were for me as a fourteen year old new to the music with little money was true treasure. Seeing the label today still warms my heart and brings a smile.  

• Up vote 3
  • Listening 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
On 17/04/2021 at 12:10, Rick Scott said:

Yes Steve Superb,

I bought my Original off John Manship  at the Cleethorpes Pier in the 70s unfortunately never had the chance of an original of the John & The Weirdest and made do with the 2nd issue hoping one would come my way but it never did unfortunately, it too is rare as you well know, Two Great Singles from One Great Artist  

I remember Richard Searling playing Johnny Hendley at Wigan. It was one of his monsters, till it got pressed.

They didn't do themselves any favours calling themselves John and the Weirdest! Even though it's a totally brilliant doublesider!

Both sides, Richard Searling cover ups at Wigan!

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I'm not doubting this thread...i'd just like to see the documentary evidence that John Hendley was John & The Weirdest. I'm sure it's out there! - anyone wish to share?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Kenb said:

I'm not doubting this thread...i'd just like to see the documentary evidence that John Hendley was John & The Weirdest. I'm sure it's out there! - anyone wish to share?

Ken. There's a earlier thread regarding this. 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Thanks Steve...yes i've seen this before. Maybe @Garethx can fill the detail in?

P.S. obviously v.like both the 45's being discussed.

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
53 minutes ago, Kenb said:

He co-wrote both sides to begin with

He wasn't the lead singer of The Inspirations as claimed in the other topic either

• Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
34 minutes ago, Chalky said:

He co-wrote both sides to begin with

He wasn't the lead singer of The Inspirations as claimed in the other topic either

the Inspirations 'thing' threw me right off. And plenty of writers didn't front as artists.

soul source url
Social source share
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Johnny Hendley is very rare, I only had the one copy in the 80's and never had a chance at another. Swapped it with Butch for a new play by the Lucky Charms. The Lucky Charms went to the Vicar which I think he played a fair bit.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 18/04/2021 at 18:02, Kenb said:

Always wondered if this was him very earlier label from Ohio 

johnny-hendley-he-intercedes-my-soul-airway-ohio.jpeg

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

An interesting thing about Johnny Hendley & the John & The Wierdest is they were both pressed in late September 1967.

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

1. Johnny Hendley - My Baby Came From Out Of Nowhere Delta
    Look At Your Box by Andy Rix on Wed 11 Nov 2020
    • 5 / 591
    • Dylan on 12 Nov 2020