Dream Merchants / The Indelgents

Mal C

Tony Turner sent me a MP3 of this track last week, a really great track,  The Indelgents - Stop (You're Breaking My Heart).

I was looking at a scan of the label, then realised it was the same as the old 'Dream Merchants' release on Renee records, that used to be in so many sales boxes.

On a further look at the two labels, they are almost the same, in design and print, both Philly tracks, and good ones... Ive had a few things on Renee records over the years, but never had  'The Indelgents' or anything on 'Jenges' records, is this the same group of labels?

I haven't looked on Discogs, and Id prefer not to, lets use the knowledge on this site :-)O Anybody know the story behind these two?

Mal

The Indelgents - Stop (You're Breaking My Heart).jpg

Dream Merchants.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Looks like the late Bob Abrahamian (Bobo) had it right...

The Jenges 5002 , 45 has a different b side to the the Renee 45 'the girl i need', which was also issued on jenges 5003 , its an uptempo dancer , the indelgents has the same b side as the renee 45.

5002 was pressed twice actually, both copies read "the girl I need" but one of the pressings plays a different cut.

and Mark White added "Harry Moon "Stop (You're Breaking My Heart)" on Sin, who also had a release as Harry moon on Jenges... So the circle is complete, same song, same group, same group, of labels...

Cool track though,  thought it sounded just like Paramount Four (Southern City) and Four Sights (Shy-Soul), kinda between the two so to speak....

R-5982864-1533302425-6894.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

On 01/11/2021 at 14:12, Mal C said:

Looks like the late Bob Abrahamian (Bobo) had it right...

The Jenges 5002 , 45 has a different b side to the the Renee 45 'the girl i need', which was also issued on jenges 5003 , its an uptempo dancer , the indelgents has the same b side as the renee 45.

5002 was pressed twice actually, both copies read "the girl I need" but one of the pressings plays a different cut.

and Mark White added "Harry Moon "Stop (You're Breaking My Heart)" on Sin, who also had a release as Harry moon on Jenges... So the circle is complete, same song, same group, same group, of labels...

Cool track though,  thought it sounded just like Paramount Four (Southern City) and Four Sights (Shy-Soul), kinda between the two so to speak....

R-5982864-1533302425-6894.jpeg.jpg

They were the essentially same group and the same group of labels. I remember some discussion around this on the Satan's Breed (Jenges) thread.

Jenges 4547 Indelgents - Stop (you're breaking my heart) / Give up (all i've got)

Jenges 5002 Dream Merchants - Stop.../ The Girl I need (Master 458AA-1)

Jenges 5002 Dream Merchants - Stop.../ Can't pull myself away from you (master 4548A label reads 'The girl I love)

Jenges 5003 Dream Merchants - Since you left / The girl I need

Jenges 5006 Satan's Breed - Since you left / Road Runner 

Renee 5002 Dream Merchants - Stop../ Give up (all I got)

Sin 4553 Harry Moon & Fide - Stop.../ Woman's Man

I've also got this one......

Sin 4554 Harry & Vee Vee - Without your lov'in / Inst.

ATB

Andy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!