Jean Wells - Calla label - Question for you ....

Just a question if anyone can answer. My idle curiosity working overtime.

The colorful history of the label is quite well known and the fact that it stopped releases for a time before restarting. My question is this:

I have Jean Wells - What have I got to lose on Calla C-157 and also on a white promo C-185 (see scans). I got this WDJ from the US, distributed by Roulette and date '72

The issue is that Dave Rimmers discography states that C-185 is Charlie Hodges - Slip around / easier said....

There is no mention of two releases or any white promo under any number ?

Appreciate your thoughts as its bugged me for some time. Pressing plant or label mix up, maybe boot ? Did Roulette pull it ?

ATB

Andy

Jean Wells.jpg

Jean wells 185.jpg

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

8 hours ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

Any ideas why (on Discogs) the later release 185 considerably more expensive than the earlier 157?

TBH Mike I've had the C-157 issues and DJ copies numerous times, but only once the C-185. At the time of 185 the label was distributed by Roulette and maybe they though WHIGTL was worth another push but it didn't take off, so didn't get an issue. Just guessing really...could be just rambling nonsense of course.

Correction: Discogs does show an issue of C-185 as does the photo above 

Note to self:  pay more attention.

Andy

Andy

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
Social source share

19 hours ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

TBH Mike I've had the C-157 issues and DJ copies numerous times, but only once the C-185. At the time of 185 the label was distributed by Roulette and maybe they though WHIGTL was worth another push but it didn't take off, so didn't get an issue. Just guessing really...could be just rambling nonsense of course.

Correction: Discogs does show an issue of C-185 as does the photo above 

Note to self:  pay more attention.

Andy

Andy

Andy - thanks - nothing like a good ramble about these things.  I have the 185 issue with 'Drown In My Own Tears' rather than the less inviting flip to 157 'Broomstick Horse Cowboy' !

Social source share

I've always had the idea that WHIGTL is pressed badly off centre.  I've definitely bought and returned at least one copy for that reason, and have a vague idea I must have had or listened to other copies to have formed that impression. Wasn't aware of two releases. Might offer an explanation...?

Similar oddity though, from Calla around the same time...Bobby Dukes 'Just to be With You' (C-184). Demo and issue with vocal / instrumental dated 1972, and then, for some reason, a demo with the INSTRUMENTAL on both sides dated 1974. Why on earth would they decide to re-issue / promote the instrumental?

Another cock up at the pressing plant or some sort of tax fiddle going on or something?

Edited by Joesoap
Social source share

On 24/11/2021 at 13:11, Joesoap said:

I've always had the idea that WHIGTL is pressed badly off centre.  I've definitely bought and returned at least one copy for that reason, and have a vague idea I must have had or listened to other copies to have formed that impression. Wasn't aware of two releases. Might offer an explanation...?

Similar oddity though, from Calla around the same time...Bobby Dukes 'Just to be With You' (C-184). Demo and issue with vocal / instrumental dated 1972, and then, for some reason, a demo with the INSTRUMENTAL on both sides dated 1974. Why on earth would they decide to re-issue / promote the instrumental?

Another cock up at the pressing plant or some sort of tax fiddle going on or something?

That certainly wouldn't have been out of character Nate McCalla, owner of Calla Records, was rumoured to have been mobster, and Morris Levy's Roulette Records (Calla's distributor) owner's iron fisted right hand bouncer/hit man ("muscle").  Mob-related record company owners used their record companies to launder their illegally gotten monetary gains.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert