Record Polishing

Ged Parker

Just had a cheap copy of James Fountain - Seven Day Lover - Peachtree delivered I now fully understand why it was cheap :unsure:

I'd never dream of polishing a playable record but this is so bad I don't want to put it near my decks. Does record polishing work? Hows it done? Will it prevent major damage to my cartridge? Will it improve the sound? other wise anyone want a nice framed copy of Seven Day Lover :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just had a cheap copy of James Fountain - Seven Day Lover - Peachtree delivered I now fully understand why it was cheap :unsure:

I'd never dream of polishing a playable record but this is so bad I don't want to put it near my decks. Does record polishing work? Hows it done? Will it prevent major damage to my cartridge? Will it improve the sound? other wise anyone want a nice framed copy of Seven Day Lover :thumbsup:

Very difficult to do without damaging the record and for no sound gain....ask John Manship

Social source share

I'd never dream of polishing a playable record but this is so bad I don't want to put it near my decks. Does record polishing work? Hows it done?

Its done with a insert that you can clamp the record in some thing that spins, i.e a drill works, then a compound and a cloth are used and you move it accross the surface while its spinning, its a crooks way of making a beat up disc look like a new one, you can always tell its polised (apart from the lovely sheen on the vinyl) if you run your finger over the grooves they always feel 'lower' and you dont get that sensation of little bumps, just feels smooth basicly.

Social source share

Another one for the wall then :unsure:

Thanks anyway guys

I did the same with a demo copy of Bobby Paris - I Walked Away.

Thought "That's bloody cheap, I'll have that and sell it on for a drink"

When it turned up, looked like someone had had a go at it with an angle grinder. But boy, was it shiny :P

Gave it to fella who danced to it first time around and he nearly fainted. He couldn't believe I'd given him an original copy.

Like you said, Ged, best place for it was in a frame!

(Hope you're well, by the way. It's been a while)

Jamie :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm good Jamie ta mate. I spent a month in Leeds last Wednesday though :P Well it felt like it.

Yep, not a patch on Fleetwood is it :thumbsup:

Take care, mate. See you soon for a :unsure:

Jamie.

Social source share

Just had a cheap copy of James Fountain - Seven Day Lover - Peachtree delivered I now fully understand why it was cheap :thumbsup:

I'd never dream of polishing a playable record but this is so bad I don't want to put it near my decks. Does record polishing work? Hows it done? Will it prevent major damage to my cartridge? Will it improve the sound? other wise anyone want a nice framed copy of Seven Day Lover whistling.gif

Polishing can have varying results depending on the vinyl or styrene , as a rule vinyl tends to respond better to polishing than styrene.... British vinyl tends to be better quality than American and usually cleans up better....polishing wont get rid of deep scratches but it will get rid of the fine ones that cause crackles ...(deeper ones genrally cause clicks)so it will usually enhance sound quality...done properly it will improve a record...and it doesnt look obvious......it dosent make you a crook!!

just makes an otherwise unplayable record playable , most reputable sellers will state if one has been polished....a good give away of a poorly polished record is a cloudy appearance in the run out area......if you pay the post and send it to me i will give it a go for you free of charge...cant guarantee results but promise it wont be any worse for it...pm me if you are interested ...all the best Jem

Social source share

Its done with a insert that you can clamp the record in some thing that spins, i.e a drill works, then a compound and a cloth are used and you move it accross the surface while its spinning, its a crooks way of making a beat up disc look like a new one, you can always tell its polised (apart from the lovely sheen on the vinyl) if you run your finger over the grooves they always feel 'lower' and you dont get that sensation of little bumps, just feels smooth basicly.

Baz you dont want to use a compound on the record that could seriously F**k it up....not true that it will always look shiny and smooth to the feel that depends on the texture of the vinyl or styrene in the first place...in some cases it can make a record have a more pronouced look and feel to the grooves....if it makes a record you own better to listen to... great!!.....i would guarantee you have owned or sold records that unknown to you were polished or skimmed thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Trust me Jed, Jemco is a bloody marvel at record cleaning and has on more than one occasion converted a would be 'frisbie' into a listenable record. Word of warning though, they are so highly polished they speed up. My Magic Corner by Pinkie and Perkie and Shing A LIng by the Chipmunks are great if you want 'stompers' for the end of the night. wink.gif

Social source share

A Very taboo subject ? Ok I admit it ! I am a secret vinyl polisher! I only do old UK vinyl issues with surface crackle! I hold down a decent job and only participate in this sort of things at weekends with only the very highest quality Vinyl & smooth cutting compound ! I have indulged in the lower qualitly styrene when I have been desparate but have always had a less favourable experience with this substance! I always wash the polished Vinyl (and or styrene) after I have finished the expierience with soap and lighter fuel (or WD 40 if no lighter fuel is available) always being very careful with the labels at all times!!!! Then it is off to work on Monday as if nothing has happened!

Back for a normal weeks work ....no one suspects a thing ..........Come on fellow polishers...........Its time to come out! :lol:

Social source share

Trust me Jed, Jemco is a bloody marvel at record cleaning and has on more than one occasion converted a would be 'frisbie' into a listenable record. Word of warning though, they are so highly polished they speed up. My Magic Corner by Pinkie and Perkie and Shing A LIng by the Chipmunks are great if you want 'stompers' for the end of the night. :P

Dont forget .."Sweetest girl in the world" by Roger Hatcher and the Heliums! :lol:

Social source share

A Very taboo subject ? Ok I admit it ! I am a secret vinyl polisher! I only do old UK vinyl issues with surface crackle! I hold down a decent job and only participate in this sort of things at weekends with only the very highest quality Vinyl & smooth cutting compound ! I have indulged in the lower qualitly styrene when I have been desparate but have always had a less favourable experience with this substance! I always wash the polished Vinyl (and or styrene) after I have finished the expierience with soap and lighter fuel (or WD 40 if no lighter fuel is available) always being very careful with the labels at all times!!!! Then it is off to work on Monday as if nothing has happened!

Back for a normal weeks work ....no one suspects a thing ..........Come on fellow polishers...........Its time to come out! :P

OK Mossy...here go's...I started off with just a little light "hand buffing" many years ago...but in recent years it has got worse , with regular trips to the chemist for various chemicals to clean with, a regular occurence now....glad you manage to keep it to just weekends ....for me it more often than not includes weekdays....let this serve as a warning to any other "closet" polishers or buffers out there.... :lol:

Social source share

OK Mossy...here go's...I started off with just a little light "hand buffing" many years ago...but in recent years it has got worse , with regular trips to the chemist for various chemicals to clean with, a regular occurence now....glad you manage to keep it to just weekends ....for me it more often than not includes weekdays....let this serve as a warning to any other "closet" polishers or buffers out there.... :lol:

Definaltley a bit concerned about my own rubbing habit, as i must admit i had a right good go at an old copy of Don Thomas - Come on train on red nu vj this week (and it was Wednesday) ....as i am sure you can imagine - i ended up with a mint copy with a pink label - I have felt guilty about this all week. There must be loads of secret vinyl rubbers out there Jemco but there are only two or three brave enough to admit it!

Now tell me felllow groove rubber..........what compounds are yielding the most pleasant expieriences for yourself at the moment? :P

www.grooverubber.com

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert