Cheap 45, now expensive

Just playing Chimes ‘Beginning of my life’ (Down to Earth 45) and got me thinking about previously cheap and common records that are currently in demand and rising in price - Chimes suddenly £100 or so, Oscar Perry ‘I got what you need’ £160, Maxine ‘Let me give you my loving’ £120 off the top of my head

Just wondered are these tunes being played out at venues, hence the demand and price hike? 

Any other recent examples?

Social source share

Back in 82 , Clarkies list mail order no internet , Limitations Lonely etc £8. Natural Four I Thought etc £8.Nowadays Jon Allen and the Skinner Bros £12. a week later £75 plus, it's now becoming a numbers market and definitely not what's in the grooves market , a scene that was once driven by the dance floor reaction maybe is taking a deferent route , 

I remember a similar conversation back in the early 80s ,would these records stand the test of time ,, answer yes 

But surely nowadays there has to be less collectors , so prices should be more reasonable,, 

And the amount of reissues of ordinary and cheap original  easily available vinyl ,doesn't make sense either ,, 

I don't think and never have , that the rare soul scene is any different from any other money making market when  full of entrepreneurs , who just want to take advantage of a market when numbers are scarce or are they ???

• Up vote 2
Social source share

You see the reaction every week on here following the publication of prices on the JM auction thread.

Often, bog standard records into the £hundreds.

Supply and demand control most values, but the number of career record dealers also play a part.

I've never owned a 'spare copy' of anything, let alone records, but it seems plenty of folks do, and so help to control prices.

Not sure I agree with the numbers of collectors dwindling. 

Ed

• Up vote 3
Social source share

In 1976 / 77... we had reached the £30 mark for your Bernie Williams, Gene Woodbury, Bell Boys, Maurice Chestnut....type classics on original labels.

My first wage was £27...take home.

I could not afford them then, and certainly would not pay the asking price today.

For those that did push the boat out then, and did not sell, they made smart investments for sure.

I feel sorry for those who sold off in the great sell off around 82/3

Those who bought then were very smart indeed.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I was meaning more current prices of certain records ie Maxine ‘Loving’ or Oscar Perry ‘Need’ that have seen recent hikes - are they getting played out / are they big current records anywhere? I don’t go to many soul nights so just interested, and any other recent examples

Social source share

Well look at Carol Anderson on Whip, what's happened to that?  A good record and one I bought from JM for £3 back in the early 80's. But surely its not a £2.5/£3K record now?  2-3 hundred surely? Is there a sudden resurgence in this one despite it being well known for years?

Dave Banks

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

It doesn't take much, does it...

For years Ujima I'm not ready, was a quid.

Gets revived....more like a grand now.

If djs need to play outside the top 500...there's a great chance of introducing a £25 contender and watch it take off.

Ed

New release gets consistent dj plays = demand/price increase on re sale market . One to watch , new Kim Tibbs 45 . 

Social source share

The Lovelites "Get Him Of My Conscience" on Lovelite original has gone up in price lately to £200 to £300.

But a lot of this is due to the flip being appreciated as well now. The changing styles and fashions have made "Oh What A Day" a wanted side as well now.

Edited by SolidSoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

People paying daft money for oldies then leave the next rung down of records available to those who cant afford them

These then become in demand for the fact they are affordable so more people buy them,  this then pushes the price up so buyers go to the level below again

Things like the Chimes, bill space lady  things on rictic that were about a fiver etc are going up as people cant afford the next step ones

Edited by davidwapples
Social source share

5 hours ago, Davebanks said:

Well look at Carol Anderson on Whip, what's happened to that?  A good record and one I bought from JM for £3 back in the early 80's. But surely its not a £2.5/£3K record now?  2-3 hundred surely? Is there a sudden resurgence in this one despite it being well known for years?

Dave Banks

Darren Brown has one for sale at the moment at 2.5k with no one interested.I think a couple of foolish people paid that for it several months ago .As much as i love the record and have one myself,it is not worth any where near that amount. 

Social source share

Indeed, like the ringleaders. When it first got played, it was a tenner. Shortly after, a load came over from the states, and it was a quid.

I'm guessing 500 to 1000 that flooded in.

Now it's big money, so there must be a load more collectors than then!

Ed

Social source share

@Chris TurnbullChris, it might be intersting to note the ones that have not had a price increase?

Remember Festivals 'You Got the Makings of a lover' on Smash, went up for no reason what so ever that I can work out,  but they still ignore Oscar Weathers 'Just to Prove I Love you', Majestic - Send my Baby Back To Me' Dells - 'Make Sure', Fred Johnson 'Full time Dream' and dozens and dozens of others...   no rhyme or reason why this happens, not like its being played on the Northern soul scene...  or are they?

I accept that once you have all that stuff, your gonna want to find something new, so if your young, your in, if you are an old fart like us lot, your f****d!   I think its a load of B****x personally, I want the records everybody putting back, as some or most of em will be great but most importantly, CHEAP!!

Enjoy your 'ILa Vann - You Made Me This Way' I've got thirty records as good for half the price!! lol

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

@Chris TurnbullChris, it might be intersting to note the ones that have not had a price increase?

Remember Festivals 'You Got the Makings of a lover' on Smash, went up for no reason what so ever that I can work out,  but they still ignore Oscar Weathers 'Just to Prove I Love you', Majestic - Send my Baby Back To Me' Dells - 'Make Sure', Fred Johnson 'Full time Dream' and dozens and dozens of others...   no rhyme or reason why this happens, not like its being played on the Northern soul scene...  or are they?

I accept that once you have all that stuff, your gonna want to find something new, so if your young, your in, if you are an old fart like us lot, your fucked!   I think its a load of Bollox personally, I want the records everybody putting back, as some or most of em will be great but most importantly, CHEAP!!

Enjoy your 'ILa Vann - You Made Me This Way' I've got thirty records as good for half the price!! lol

Ironically I bought Ila Vann "You Made Me This Way" as a cheapie on two separate occasions, for £3 a time! 

We never thought that would end up a high price record back in those days. 

Edited by SolidSoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!