Wants Sub-Forum Discussion - User Input Needed!

James Rice

Hey everyone,

We're currently throwing some ideas around regarding the 'Wants' sub-forum and would like some user input.

At present, we think that the 'Wants' section could benefit from some more relaxed guidelines regarding topic discussions and comments on posts.

This would mean that any 'Wants' topics primary use would still be to satisfy the want but if related discussion were to arise then we would allow it to continue, any off-topic communication would be removed as normal.

These changes would relate to the 'Wants' sub-forum only. Pre-existing guidelines will apply to all the other sub-forums.

What does everyone think to this?

We'd really appreciate any input as to whether you think this is a positive move or wish to carry on as usual.
Thanks!

James

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

I think it is right that the rules should be fairly relaxed, and that in turn could lead to a more interesting forum.

I would base it around these three simple principles:

i) comments should be designed to be of assistance, and helpful to the original poster;

ii) comments should be well intentioned and not rude; and

iii) the original poster should be as clear about what they are after as possible.

Which, I would hope, ought to work reasonably well without being too prescriptive or difficult to follow.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Kjw said:

If I was looking for a record generally valued at £100 I wouldn't want someone ruining my chances of getting one by posting on here that's it's worth £200 just so they can justify recently overpaying for their own copy 

This is something that I hadn't really considered before

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 24/06/2022 at 11:08, James Rice said:

Hey everyone,

We're currently throwing some ideas around regarding the 'Wants' sub-forum and would like some user input.

At present, we think that the 'Wants' section could benefit from some more relaxed guidelines regarding topic discussions and comments on posts.

This would mean that any 'Wants' topics primary use would still be to satisfy the want but if related discussion were to arise then we would allow it to continue, any off-topic communication would be removed as normal.

These changes would relate to the 'Wants' sub-forum only. Pre-existing guidelines will apply to all the other sub-forums.

What does everyone think to this?

We'd really appreciate any input as to whether you think this is a positive move or wish to carry on as usual.
Thanks!

James

Works for me 👍 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Smudger said:

Any info on a want has got to useful as long as it is relevant.

What does relevant mean and who decides what is and isn't. How do you Police that.

Sounds rather messy to me and would cause more problems with people's wants becoming reality than adding something. Same old comments will get rinsed around none of which are helpful. Look at what goes on on Facebook. 

Best left alone imho. Let the two parties deal with the transaction without others making an unnecessary mess around it.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I would hate to have some guy have his want posted up, for me to then go and look for it in the loft knowing full well I had been trying to shift that turkey for years only for someone being allowed to post up they thought it was crap. causing the prospectve buyer to have a re- think. Bit like trying to shift your old car full of rust and a piece drops off just as they hand over the cash!😒 IMO pretty much everything menshioned is spot on dont rock the boat.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks for the input everyone. Some really interesting points for us to dig into. I think the main reason for us wanting to get user input was due to the fact that the wants section seems to inherently attract more user input/comments than the other ‘sales’ sub-forums and we didn’t know whether this was something that would be preferred by users or not. It has been fairly eye-opening for me as I’d expected it to be one sided on the side of allowing comments, so it really shows how useful these types of questions can be! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share