Cleethorpes Weekender Memories

First went mid-90’s, Doris Troy one I think, maybe the one before. I insisted we would be fine for food as they’d have all the facilities we’d need for the weekend. Friday afternoon the “shop” was a converted garden shed and had a couple of bunches of bananas, an artic roll and a Sarah Lee frozen gateau for the entire weekends attendees. We bought the bananas and artic roll and spent the weekend eating in the on-site chippy.

For the next year we’d wised up and decided to take a load of pizzas to cook in the chalet oven. Only problem was, we were in a different chalet and all we had was a tiny microwave, so we had to cook the pizzas one slice at a time, which took forever. We looked forward to spending the weekend eating in the on-site chippy until Bub and Jerry (funniest men alive along with Stuart) found the number of a pizza delivery place on Saturday morning and it felt like fine dining in their chalet washing them down with half pints of whisky for breakfast. Hammered by 11am and I can’t remember much of the rest of the weekend as it stayed that way.

I used to like it when what is the big modern room was full of the usual punters there for the bingo, and the toilets were shared. The looks on their faces was hilarious seeing all these reprobates from the northern room ranting like mad while they were doing their business, and complaining the cubicles were always occupied (with a bunch of blokes going in together). The small modern room upstairs was great.

Oh and the one where few of us got spiked with Ketamine on the Saturday night and spend the nighter wandering round the campsite thinking there were aliens out to get us. That was fun (not).

When Willie Tee came on and started playing a funk track for warm up and half the crowd left the room muttering “this isn’t soul!”, he then then played a storming set, never forget their version of “one more chance” 💥

Sunday nights were the best.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I haven’t been since the last one Ady ran, that was the end of an era for me.  Loved the weekends and the Yarmouth ones that preceded them. Missed two I think, Little Ann being one which I was gutted about. 

So many laughs, high jinks, especially with Al Coney about.  So many good times, so many great acts, I don’t remember there being one poor act?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Went to everyone up to Ady handing over too ... have so many great memories ... Dougie letting me help him at all the sound checks, spending time with the artists, going to the 'Smallest Pub in the UK' (just down the road) ...

early events - Sunday night chalet parties, later events -- Saturday afternoon caravan piss-ups /  bolox talkin.  

Finding bargains on the Friday afternoon at the record bar. Selling some of them on just a few hours later -- got quite a few copies of the Bobby McClure Island 45 for 20p each out of a 60's stall cheap box & sold (all but one) on for a quid each to mates just 5 hours later. Fighting over copies of import 45's brought around to our dive (missed out on the great Icemen slowie "How Can I Get Over A Fox Like You" which Charlie get coz his money was out the quickest ... looking on in amazement as Tall Pimple asked "wot you all doing fightin over that, you can't dance to it"). Meeting up with the Macce lads every year  -- remembering not to drink with them, otherwise a whole days events would be 'lost in the twilight zone' ...  

Got 1000's of photos around here (both prints from the early days & digital uns from after).  

CleggyWkndr96.jpg

CleggyWkndrMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

In the early years, there was a Hammond organ (seemingly abandoned) in the backstage area. It was discussed that it should be acquired but those old things are very heavy, so it was not touched. No idea when it did go & who got it. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!