Low rider records

Gogger

You know what I'd do, I'd go on You Tube, as lots of low rider collectors post on there, contact a few via message, see what they say. 

There asre quite a few folks in California, I knew a few guys all into Skate Boarding collected all sorts to be honest, Garage as well, as belive it or not, there is more of that stuff than there is soul, by a country mile...  Try contacting folk via Instagam as well, loads of guys post their tracks and related pics on there...

Good Luck Gogger 🙂

• Thanks 1
Social source share

It's twenty years old now but I still refer ocasionally to:

Ruben Molina - 'The Old Barrio Guide To Low Rider Music 1950-1975'

Molina has studied the Chicano culture and has published several books including this one published in 2017.

Ruben Molina - Chicano Soul: Recordings and History of an American Culture

Edited by Dukeofburgundy
Grammar
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Dukeofburgundy said:

It's twenty years old now but I still refer ocassionally to:

Ruben Molina - 'The Old Barrio Guide To Low Rider Music 1950-1975'

Molina has studied the Chicano culture and has published several books including this one published in 2017.

Ruben Molina - Chicano Soul: Recordings and History of an American Culture

Thanks just found it and having a look , very informative 

Social source share

On 12/11/2023 at 08:45, Happy Feet said:

Always played both sides of every record I ever purchased , and this one I came across about 79 ish , don't think Low rider was a genre back then , but over the years I suppose 50% of my collection was a Low rider and on occasion better than the side I bought it for . On reflection I was to busy looking for the unknown 100 mph. stomper , floorfiller , obscurity, in most cases the b- sides and ignoring the most soulful slowies as we called them .Now in the second half of my 60s and my ears and tastes have matured would love to hear more of this style out and about , legs have gone but still got soul in abundance. 

Hope Ruben doesn't see your post because - as you can see from the title of his book - low rider music and culture in the US goes right back to the 50's. And it was very much an active and thriving music culture and "genre" (as you refer to it) by 1979 !

The irony is a number of tired, jaded old people in the UK (not referring to you Happy Feet!), who've become disillusioned with the northern scene, have now hijacked low rider music in the last decade and been paying ridiculous sums of money for records they would have literally chucked in the bin back in the 70's and 80's !

Edited by Sunnysoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Sunnysoul said:

Hope Ruben doesn't see your post because - as you can see from the title of his book - low rider music and culture in the US goes right back to the 50's. And it was very much an active and thriving music culture and "genre" (as you refer to it) by 1979 !

The irony is a number of tired, jaded old people in the UK (not referring to you Happy Feet!), who've become disillusioned with the northern scene, have now hijacked low rider music in the last decade and been paying ridiculous sums of money for records they would have literally chucked in the bin back in the 70's and 80's !

I agree with you totally on the ages going back to the 50s , I was only using this particular tune as an example of flipping both sides , and you could get lucky .My journey into soul started back in 1970 , and then Northern lots of my mates and my cousin useto play all types I suppose now it's Lowrider , but we just called them slowies and would jump at the chance , when at the youth clubs and then onto clubbing from 72 , to ask a young lady would she like to dance ( up close ) of course , anyway enough of that kind of talk too early .

I haven't read the book but look forward to it and stand corrected on my choice of title and from now on will call it culture . The irony subject of hijacking , and paying over the odds pushing up prices , disillusioned etc could be as their bank balance's have swollen so much , clearing out their unwanted Northern Soul records that any looney will purchase at over inflated prices these days , check out Manships auction results on a Wednesday evening, so money is no object to them , they just need something to fill the gap left in the record box .

I still collect at hopefully affordable and sensible prices and when flipped find a twofer as they call them nowadays , and if one side is uptempo and the other Lowrider I play either side depending on mood etc .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Sunnysoul said:

Low Rider music wasn't well documented until Molina highlighted it. It was written about by soul music scribes that included David Cole and Greg Burgess in the 'In the Basement' magazine and John Ridley 'Sirshambling' website still contains an article with music links highlighting some Chicano/Chicana bangers. I was responsible for the selection incidentally. Where did the fifteen years go?

https://sirshambling.com/articles/latin_soul/index.php

Edited by Dukeofburgundy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!