Anyone familiar with Jimmy Parker - They Say on Herald?

Djack
Go to solution Solved by Windlesoul,

It seems to be the first version of   Susan Rewis -  They say (you  found a new baby )  on Columbia  which was a Stafford c/up as Denita James?

Sound clip of the Jimmy Parker version on ytube.

Edited by Djack
error
Social source share

6 hours ago, Djack said:

It seems to be the first version of   Susan Rewis -  They say (you  found a new baby )  on Columbia  which was a Stafford c/up as Denita James?

Sound clip of the Jimmy Parker version on ytube.

There's a few versions of it, Rodge Martin could be the first, he did it in 1962. 

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• Solution

Songwriter / producer Bob Johnson might well have written, or at least co-written, this one. In fact, he could have written a number of songs which were credited to his wife Joy Byers, including some on Elvis, Timi Yuro and others. Bob was freelancing for Dot in the early 60s, and the Rodge Martin version was first. Problem is Joy was a songwriter too. Bob and Joy are both no longer with us now so relative contributions will always remain a mystery. I tried to clarify things with Mac Gayden a while back but these Nashville cats stick together!

As an aside, you listen to other Byers-credited compositions like Freddie North / Jimmy Church / BB King's The Hurt, or Rodge Martin or Susan Rewis' They Say etc, or Timi Yuro's What's a Matter Baby, or Elvis' Let Yourself Go etc. there are structural similarities to greater or lesser degrees. All great songwriting regardless. 

Another random bit of info - I'm pals with Nat Speir, founder of the (Carolina) Rivieras - around 1963/64 he was involved in a series of sessions in New York to play on some of the Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs recordings for Herald. As it's the same time and label as the Jimmy Parker, I'll ask if he remembers him at all. The Jimmy Parker version is best left alone of course, but in the scheme of things it is at least historically relevant.

Bob Johnson also ended up head of Columbia's Nashville operations, so no surprise the song was recycled (yet again) for Susan Rewis. 

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Quite random this thread has come up and one i'm glad to have seen.. I was talking to Keb after Heart of Soul in Lewisham and he was trying to remember the name of the artist cos I often play the original cut by Rodge Martin & had read he used to play Susan Rewis' version at Stafford. 

Edited by Clee93
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Clee93 said:

Quite random this thread has come up and one i'm glad to have seen.. I was talking to Keb after Heart of Soul in Lewisham and he was trying to remember the name of the artist cos I often play the original cut by Rodge Martin & had read he used to play Susan Rewis' version at Stafford. 

Was Guy at Stafford. 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Was Guy at Stafford. 

Now you mention it... I think thats what he said as well. I was half cut at the time in all fairness! 

Someone else (Can't remember who now) also told me Roger Banks used to play the same version around the same time. 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2023 at 17:46, Chalky said:

I don’t remember Keb playing it. Guy for certain, it was massive for him. 

Yeah could have been Chalky I certainly cant remember who for sure played what, I was too busy dancing and not writing lists like some people. Saying that I wish I had it would make life a lot simpler

Social source share

Probably around 15 years ago I went in a record/cd shop in Concord New Hampshire. The guy in there said they dont really deal in records anymore and indeed the entire ground floor was given over just to cd sales. He did say though they did still have some 45's in the basement at $1 apiece if I wanted to go down there. I did of curse and was staggered how many there were. Unfortunately they turned out to be all modern country overstocks - mainly well known artists hits and many duplicates.  All appeared mint and unplayed.  I went through the lot just in case there was anything and came out with 1 45 only . Rodge Martins "They Say" on Dot.  Must have thought that was country too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!