Damaged records?

Soul Salad

Just a quick one

Have any of you pulled out a record that you 100% know wasnt cracked the last time you carefully looked at it played it then carefully put it away again? Then a few months later pull it out an its cracked?

Happened to me three times now (doesn't seem a lot)🥺 in 20 or so years but all were loved records one was valuable. Ever happened to anybody else?

Thanks

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Are you keeping them in boxes too big for the amount of records if so packing them with paper etc may alleviate the problem , Bought records for 50 years and never had a problem.

No, in an upstairs bedroom in 2 singles crates not over/under packed and ALL are in cardboard sleeves as well as co sleeves. Maybe i brought them cracked? LOL would be very surprised as i scrupulously check every record i buy.

Our house is Victorian/sash windows/coastal etc, must admit can get freezing when were out, not sure would cause a crack though. 

Social source share

I agree with your concerns over temperature differentials and I think it helps if record mass can be prevented from raising core temperature.As for styrene I get paranoid about it because of its brittle biscuit like nature.If it is scratched over time this can develop a crack in storage especially if pressurised and out of ninety degrees.

Social source share

Back when I was still living in Donny in the early 70's ... a bunch of our kids 'reggae music fans' used to come round to our house to play / buy 60's & very early 70's reggae 45's off me (we had young kids / a mortgage & therefore I needed the cash made from selling stuff). Those guys were soon replaced by soul (& then NS fans) who had learnt that I had an extensive collection of soul 45's / LP's. They'd come round to listen to stuff they didn't know (& to try to buy some 'rarer' stuff off me -- I was much more reluctant to sell soul stuff).

They were soon coming on a regular basis & so it became a common occurrence -- I'd leave them to thumb through my 45's while I made us all a drink. A while later I found my US copy of the Dynamics "Ain't No Sun (Since You've Been Gone)" with a big piece of the 45 missing. Obviously one of them had dropped it, it had broken, so they'd just stuck it back in the sleeve, returned it to my 45 shelf and kept quiet about the mishap. I wasn't too pleased.

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Roburt said:

Back when I was still living in Donny in the early 70's ... a bunch of our kids 'reggae music fans' used to come round to our house to play / buy 60's & very early 70's reggae 45's off me (we had young kids / a mortgage & therefore I needed the cash made from selling stuff). Those guys were soon replaced by soul (& then NS fans) who had learnt that I had an extensive collection of soul 45's / LP's. They'd come round to listen to stuff they didn't know (& to try to buy some 'rarer' stuff off me -- I was much more reluctant to sell soul stuff).

They were soon coming on a regular basis & so it became a common occurrence -- I'd leave them to thumb through my 45's while I made us all a drink. A while later I found my US copy of the Dynamics "Ain't No Sun (Since You've Been Gone)" with a big piece of the 45 missing. Obviously one of them had dropped it, it had broken, so they'd just stuck it back in the sleeve, returned it to my 45 shelf and kept quiet about the mishap. I wasn't too pleased.

There was a good enough reason for that record cracking as it was dropped (OR WAS IT??)  really meaning records that you know you've never dropped/mishandled but pulled out cracked.

Maybe some records are already cracked but in such a way are very well disguised until it wants a separation?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!