Go to solution Solved by Wheelsville1,

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i've never been so sure it is the same girls.

Dickie Lee and Stan Keslers Gold Dust label was very obscure so i wonder why they released on it if they were 'Sam's Shamettes/Shametts.'

There was a 1968 (also) high school girl group up in Bedford, Indiana, who took part in Battle of the Bands with the likes of the Dictators of Sound and Souls of Sound.

Shamettes name circled.jpg

Edited by Kenb
mistakenly pur Gold Rush, now corrected
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Kenb said:

i've never been so sure it is the same girls.

Dickie and Stan Keslers Gold Rush label was very obscure so i wonder why they released on it if they were 'Sam's Shamettes/Shametts.'

There was a 1968 (also) high school girl group up in Bedford, Indiana, who took art in Battle of the bands with the likes of the Dictators of Sound and Souls of Sound.

Shamettes name circled.jpg

You have a valid point,one thing i do know is that Don't waste your time has always been vary scarce.

Social source share

On the Sham-ettes second 45 for M-G-M on both sides the lead singer do match pretty good (to these ears at least) 'don't waste your time' on Gold Dust. So to me they could very well be one and the same group.

By 1967 Sam and the Sham disbanded and so the deal they had with M-G-M got to a sudden halt. This could explain the girls quest for another small label to do a last release if ever they are the same girls. My 2 çents.

Social source share

57 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

On the Sham-ettes second 45 for M-G-M on both sides the lead singer do match pretty good (to these ears at least) 'don't waste your time' on Gold Dust. So to me they could very well be one and the same group.

By 1967 Sam and the Sham disbanded and so the deal they had with M-G-M got to a sudden halt. This could explain the girls quest for another small label to do a last release if ever they are the same girls. My 2 çents.

👍

Social source share

2 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Tim,

on the basis of probability i'll go with that. (a Memphian link with both Sam, etc and Stan Kesler's Gold Dust)

although Sam and the Shamettes were still 'gigging' their "Revue" as late as August 1968, at least.

Edited by Kenb
Social source share

5 hours ago, Kenb said:

Tim,

on the basis of probability i'll go with that. (a Memphian link with both Sam, etc and Stan Kesler's Gold Dust)

although Sam and the Shamettes were still 'gigging' their "Revue" as late as August 1968, at least.

Gold.jpg

Edited by The Yank
Social source share

49 minutes ago, The Yank said:

I think you might have mixed up the Gold Rush label (Memphis) with the Gold Dust label (New York) . This is from Record World (March 02, 1968)

Gold.jpg

"My" Gold Dust records is Dickie Lee's & Stan Keslers label. My mistake nay have been citing Stan as Memphian. see 45cat below

image.png.005fa0e104d7b78dcfd66088a34e286f.png

Edited by Kenb
Social source share

A minor but nevertheless important point is that the group under consideration is the Shametts (one e, not two). As mentioned earlier, the record is very rare and keenly sought by those in the know. Recent copies have sold for four figure sums - there’s one currently on Discogs... The database also provides a cool photo as shown below.

62C69747-C831-43CC-95BD-4EDEA0354F36.png

Social source share

Although never my cup of tea as the Five Stairsteps should by many means remain unbeatable if ever IMO yet it's always exciting to finally unravel such who's who and whereabouts about such 'obscure' releases.

Knowing it from an old tape that I use to play from beginning to end (like a vinyl compilations) to train the ear while anticipating the 'better' instant loved tunes I always felt these girls to be white and 'pop'. And so...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert