Sweets less than sixpence

Ow31

On 13/03/2024 at 10:05, Greedy Mick said:

What's a sixpence? 

As the picture above shows a 6 Pence coin (also known as a Tanner), if you had  a Shilling Coin it would be worth  2 of those and a half crown Coin was worth 2 Shillings & Sixpence (2/6) old coinage from the 50s & 60s Mick, those were the days for all of us Old codgers 😀

• Up vote 2
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

As the picture above shows a 6 Pence coin (also known as a Tanner), if you had  a Shilling Coin it would be worth  2 of those and a half crown Coin was worth 2 Shillings & Sixpence (2/6) old coinage from the 50s & 60s Mick, those were the days for all of us Old codgers 😀

Remember the UK switching to decimal in 1971, but didn't realise this.. good old Google 

The £sd system was the standard across much of the European continent for over a thousand years, until the decimalisations of the 18th and 19th centuries. The United Kingdom remained one of the few countries retaining it into the 20th century, resulting in the system becoming particularly associated with Britain. For much of the 20th century, £sd remained the monetary system of most of the British Commonwealth, the major exceptions being Canada and India, until the 1960s and 1970s, with Nigeria being the last to abandon it in the form of the Nigerian pound on 1 January 1973.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 16/03/2024 at 12:47, Rick Scott said:

Mm, for a while at primary school I was nicknamed Decimal Davey (Davey being my surname), as the switch to decimal was the 15th February 1971. My birthday being the 15th Feb. 🤑

I was known as a lot of other names over the years but that is for a completely different thread. 🫣

I hope you're well Rick.

Peter

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Maybe a week running is long enough for these sort of nostalgia based off topic topics as they are quite limited/specific and can run out of steam after a few days

So be closing shortly...

We could do with a few decent soul related topics in our main  forums

If ya got any worthwhile ones knocking about in ya head then do feel free to share them

Social source share