Selectadisc

Guest Neil-ok

Guest Neil-ok

Found this little mail order flyer while having a nosey around the net,look at the prices!! we wish.You might need to save it a enlarge it to read the print.

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The lists I'd really love to see would be one of those that got handed over the counter at Manchesters Global.

I can remember The Ethics, Tony Hester, Cliff Nobles, Jean Wells, Dean Parrish all under 3 squids, bbut what did they have that we didn't know(then) at £4 and over???

Tony

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Found this little mail order flyer while having a nosey around the net,look at the prices!! we wish.You might need to save it a enlarge it to read the print.

Yes, but most of them (apart from the new releases) are bootlegs, and I wouldn't pay .90p for them even now!

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

Yes, but most of them (apart from the new releases) are bootlegs, and I wouldn't pay .90p for them even now!

Mate.....One mans bootleg is another mans vinyl collection. :thumbsup:

Social source share

The lists I'd really love to see would be one of those that got handed over the counter at Manchesters Global.

I can remember The Ethics, Tony Hester, Cliff Nobles, Jean Wells, Dean Parrish all under 3 squids, bbut what did they have that we didn't know(then) at £4 and over???

Tony

Hi Tony

I have some Global Lists in the Loft, along with my Groove City / Soul Bowl Lists.

The Global List was a very thin yellow paper,

one record that I do remember on it was the Original Duke Browner - "Crying Over You" - on Impact -

Only about 10p more than other places were selling the Boot for if I remember correctly.

I'll try to scan a couple in. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I once saw a 1968 catalogue from Soul City Records - now that could really make you ill :thumbsup: Oh for a loan of the tardis for half a day

Here is the first one I pulled out of the box, quite late considering as I had been getting the Lists for about 10 years by this time.

Soul Bowl - August 1983 - List 484

Page 2 & 3

Soul_Bowl_484-2.gif

Soul_Bowl_484-3.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Here is the second one I pulled out of the box.

Soul Bowl - February 1984 - List 510

Page 2, 4 & 5

Just look at the bottom of Page 2 "Timeless Legend" £5.00

And The Tokays Baby, Baby, Baby on BRUTE £8.00

Candi Staton on Unity £25.00

As the first page always said "ALL ORIGINALS NO BOOTLEGS"

Soul_Bowl_510-2.jpg

Soul_Bowl_510-4.jpg

Soul_Bowl_510-5.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Here is the third one I pulled out of the box.

Soul Bowl - April 1984 - List 515

Page 4 & 5

As the first page always said "ALL ORIGINALS NO BOOTLEGS"

Soul_Bowl_515-4.gif

Soul_Bowl_515-5.gif

I promised myself that I wouldn't pick and choose,

these were the first three lists that were at the top

when I opened the box from the loft.

Amazing, It was like this every week, I was like a kid in a Sweet Shop. Kept me skint at the time though. :wicked:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I love looking at stuff like this - nice one mate.

:wicked:

No problem, I will try to find a couple of the Global Lists later.

Here is Soul Bowl List Number 522 - 15 May 1984

Soul_Bowl_522-2.jpg

Soul_Bowl_522-3.jpg

A few on here Cool Off - Autographed Test Pressing, Frank Dell, Thelma Lindsey, Silky Hargreaves, Rose Batiste, Eula Cooper, Jock Mitchell etc, etc. shades.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I used to get the lists from Soul Bowl and bought some bits and pieces - mainly seventies and eighties stuff. I guess a lot of people on here know John Anderson fairly well - I don't, apart from exchanging cheques and orders and the odd phone call when something was out of stock. However, his courteous service and general friendliness left a lasting impression - can still recall the odd nice note he would enclose with yer discs.

Thought I'd share that.

Social source share

I used to get the lists from Soul Bowl and bought some bits and pieces - mainly seventies and eighties stuff. I guess a lot of people on here know John Anderson fairly well - I don't, apart from exchanging cheques and orders and the odd phone call when something was out of stock. However, his courteous service and general friendliness left a lasting impression - can still recall the odd nice note he would enclose with yer discs.

Thought I'd share that.

Hi Pete

Yes, John was always helpful & I knew him quite well too. shades.gif

Visited on many occasions, & bought from the weekly lists by phone.

Social source share

Twenty Quid for Sam Williams far too much....lol this certainly puts things into perspective and proves if we knew then what we know now etc. etc. i remember getting these lists at the time but the prices were relative to what you were earning at the time, i remember coming out of Stafford one day with Sam Fletcher £12.00, Sam Dees £8.00, Betty Wilson £8.00 infact a nice little bunch of tunes for a hundred quid or less the lot.

Fantastic thread by the way........ remember phoning 'Soul Bowl' first thing when the list arrived and it was constantly engaged and when you finally got through John would utter those words....sorry it's gone! happy days...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Twenty Quid for Sam Williams far too much....lol this certainly puts things into perspective and proves if we knew then what we know now etc. etc. i remember getting these lists at the time but the prices were relative to what you were earning at the time, i remember coming out of Stafford one day with Sam Fletcher £12.00, Sam Dees £8.00, Betty Wilson £8.00 infact a nice little bunch of tunes for a hundred quid or less the lot.

Fantastic thread by the way........ remember phoning 'Soul Bowl' first thing when the list arrived and it was constantly engaged and when you finally got through John would utter those words....sorry it's gone! happy days...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark

I remember that very well, and those dial up phones. I'm sure I could have phoned that number in the dark if necessary.

Over and over all weathers to the phone box, queue outside, worse still, if I was outside waiting.

Engaged, reciever down try straight away, again and again until you got through just to be told, as you say "sorry it's gone"

Happy Days indeed. shades.gif Especially when you got a result. :wicked:

Social source share

Hi Mark

I remember that very well, and those dial up phones. I'm sure I could have phoned that number in the dark if necessary.

Over and over all weathers to the phone box, queue outside, worse still, if I was outside waiting.

Engaged, reciever down try straight away, again and again until you got through just to be told, as you say "sorry it's gone"

Happy Days indeed. shades.gif Especially when you got a result. :wicked:

More of a level playing field then Roger as we all had the same chance of getting through first....lol just on the off chance have you still got 'The Servicemen' mate for twenty quid....lol i know i'm twenty odd years too late but you never know or are you gonna utter those words????

Super thread mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Still got a load of lists from those halcyon days of the early 80s.

Soul Bowl and Pat Brady's list were the ones that I always got. Anyone remember the Soul Stop Records list? Always had King Tutt for a tenner and Billy Hambric (Drum) for seven quid!

Social source share

More of a level playing field then Roger as we all had the same chance of getting through first....lol just on the off chance have you still got 'The Servicemen' mate for twenty quid....lol i know i'm twenty odd years too late but you never know or are you gonna utter those words????

Super thread mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Never managed to get "The Servicemen" unfortunately.

Managed quite a few of the others though, including the Cool Off Test Pressing. :wicked:

It was very much a level playing field, relying on the Postman bringing the list early enough etc.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Never managed to get "The Servicemen" unfortunately.

Managed quite a few of the others though, including the Cool Off Test Pressing. :wicked:

It was very much a level playing field, relying on the Postman bringing the list early enough etc.

Bit slow there Roger...lol your reply should have been.....sorry it's gone!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

While we're with Nostalgia, Anyone from Yorkshire remember these.

I was looking for my Selectadisc Bag and found these. :huh:

Boylans.jpg

Jumbo_Records.jpg

Ah Yes, Roger

I remember them well!

I've got some old Boylans lists somewhere in the Cellar. And the old Selectadisc 'Pink Book' lists too, from 72 / 73.

Can't look at them these days though. Makes you weep!

But what's worse is that there are great tunes coming out of the states... still... that some people won't be coveting, over here, for at least another 10 years!

What Goes Around... etc!

Food for thought y'all.

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Amazing, (Soul Bowl) was like this every week, I was like a kid in a Sweet Shop. Kept me skint at the time though. :thumbup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Bit slow there Roger...lol your reply should have been.....sorry it's gone!

You forgot to say that it went; "Nupe sorrr-rry, it's gorn" (IN A SCOTTISH ACCENT) :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

it actually makes me feel queasy. sam williams for 20 quid!

gonna go & lay down...

But £20 was probably nearly a weeks wages then! - or at least all of your spare cash. Though he rarely charged THAT much for any item, some of the current big Northern tunes were creeping up towards the £25 mark by the early '80s I remember....

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I still have the Brian '45' philips lists........ :thumbup:

Now THOSE I'd like to see! - or would I? (Could I stand the heartache?)

I do still have some Steve Glover record lists from about 1972/73 somewhere though. Will have a look for them and post up some of his prices for UK label 45s tomorrow... (I know Sandy Wynns on Fontana was £5, 'cos I bought it!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

[it was very much a level playing field, relying on the Postman bringing the list early enough etc.

Being a postman meant I got my lists at 5.00 am when I got to work . Made my selections , then straight to a phone box when I got the opportunity.Remember getting Willie Hutch [ Dunhill ] £25 ,Peoples Choice [ Palmer ] £12 , Al Williams [ La Beat ] £12 Willie Tee - Having so much fun [ Gator ] £3 [ on the Soul section ] , Soulville All Stars - I' m gonna get to you £2 [ got John out of bed for this at 7.30 one morning !! His then baby son answered the ' phone !! Wish I could turn back the hands of time , who could have predicted how prices have risen ? Great days ......Best ,Eddie

So THAT'S why everything was sold by 9.01am! Wasn't that an abuse of your privileged position as a postal delivery man for her majesty though...? :wicked:

My postman once mistakenly delivered to my address a parcel from Soul Bowl that was addressed to someone else entirely! (He must have just seen the yellow Soul Bowl sticker on the packet and assumed it was for me!) Classic!

I didn't know the guy in question, but luckily, the address was local and I was able to deliver it to him in person. (I was dying to know what was inside it though, but if he told me I've since forgotton!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I also believe Jumbo records is still active in Leeds but not sure if it has lots of soul for sale.
jumbo records are still in leeds.....the carrier bags are still exactly the same

Hi

I bought quite a few Soul records from Jumbo Records in the 70's.

Labels like, Ric-Tic, Stephanye, Golden World, Love, etc.

All ZTSC plus many others.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

AHHHHHHHHHH SOUL BOWL THOSE WERE THE DAYS :thumbsup::ohmy::yes::lol: :lol:

moses dillard both 10.00 honey bees garrison 12.00 alwilliams 20 ( not quite eddies prices!!) lester tipton 25 f.smogg 20 lou pride 2.00 detroit sounds of friction 12 sold it for a massive profit of 80.00!!! the list is endless unlike my records which ended up at todtowers :P

i did get sorry its gone quite alot unlike eddie post man i was a lowly paper boy and got the local postie to give me the list before setting off delivering..i would ring up from the paper shop at 7.59 even then records has sometimes gone..

Edited by souljazera
Social source share

........ remember phoning 'Soul Bowl' first thing when the list arrived and it was constantly engaged and when you finally got through John would utter those words....sorry it's gone! happy days...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknel

This is such a nostalgia trip! I totally forgot about waiting with baited breath as the postman delivered the post on a tuesday( ?) ...waiting for that envolope to drop through the door with strage coloured paper list of tunes and ...finally opening it and pissing my mum off for hogging the phone for a few hours trying to get through to buy a couple of the tunes on the list ....and hearing those earth shattering words....sorry it,s gone.

same with john m lists too ...... always missed what i dearly wanted at the time.... I blame it on the welsh postal service at the time myself, and my mother always hogging the phone when i needed to call for tunes.

pete m

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert