pow wow mik

• Replies 24
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

US lable is BRA, which i always thought was something to do with Byron Lee, but think it's actually a Coxsone Dodd label...?

BRA issue has quite a good flipside, not sure if the Kentone one does or not

also if you're searching try both 'Blues Busters' and 'Byron Lee', since i think Byron Lee's name comes first in the credits.

edit - just noticed Sebastian's sleeve - now *that's* a good track to have on the other side!

Edited by bongolia
Social source share

US lable is BRA, which i always thought was something to do with Byron Lee, but think it's actually a Coxsone Dodd label...?

also if you're searching try both 'Blues Busters' and 'Byron Lee', since i think Byron Lee's name comes first in the credits.

edit - just noticed Sebastian's sleeve - now *that's* a good track to have on the other side!

Yes, that sure is a nice flipside. But wouldn't mind to have "Soon You'll Be Gone" on BRA as the flipside on that one is "Can't Believe You're Gone". :rolleyes:

Wasn't BRA a jamaican label? :thumbsup: Have always thought that it for example was the jamaican release for Witches & The Warlocks "Behind Locked Doors". But... I honestly don't know...

post-1392-1176447920_thumb.jpg post-1392-1176447928_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

BRA is a Byron Lee-related label, you were right first time...

I don't have "I Won't Let You Go" on Kentone, but I do have

...and as with Sebastian's UA copy, it's not for sale either :rolleyes:

I have a 1980 Belgian issue of "I Won't Let You Go", released to cash in on the 2-Tone 'phenomenon' in a 'Dance The Ska' series. The sleeve isn't terribly thrilling, but the label's pretty...

...offers considered on that one :thumbsup:

TONE

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...and also... there are two different versions of "I Won't Let You Go". Just speculating here, but perhaps one of them is on BRA and the slightly slower (and in my opinion much better) one on Kentone? Tony... help us out! :rolleyes:

There are indeed two different versions of "I Won't Let You Go" - both were released as by the Blues Busters at various times, but one is - I think - actually by Keith (Lyn) and Ken (Lazarus). Both are backed by Byron Lee and the Dragonaires, which is probably where and why the confustion arose in the first place!

I'd love to hear your UA single, to see what was used there...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

That Blues Busters CD was my project from start to finish - and one of my proudest achievements,

And a very, very fine CD it indeed is. I wasn't knocking it, was just a bit surprised (as I suppose you was!) about the inclusion of the fast version.

I don't think, sad to say, that it sold well enough to warrant repressing with the Kentone version in its rightful place... :thumbsup:

That sure is sad. Think we've sold 20 copies or so in the store I work in here in Sweden. Most of them to people who otherwise buy almost exclusively "traditional" soul stuff.

I'm not at all sure where BRA emanates from - it has a vaguely Canadian look about it. I don't think that it's Jamaican, after all almost all of the releases on the label also appeared on genuine Ja. labels like Kentone, Soul and BMN...

Canada would make sense. But where does the Witches & The Warlock 45 fit in with the Byron Lee connection? :thumbsup:

I have their Northern cheapie "Got To Get There" on BMN, and a couple of other singles of similar vintage, so I think I'm fairly safe in that assertion...

With the Shout 45 being Rick Hall produced and the Capitol one having Robert Banks involvement, the tunes like "I Gotta Get There", "Inspired To Love You", "I Can't Stop" etc. must've come out on US labels prior to having a jamaican releases don't you think?

Will keep a look-out for a jamaican issue of "Can't Believe You're Gone". :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I'm not at all sure where BRA emanates from - it has a vaguely Canadian look about it. I don't think that it's Jamaican, after all almost all of the releases on the label also appeared on genuine Ja. labels like Kentone, Soul and BMN...

Jamaican Bra scan (ooer missus!).

https://www.dancecrasher.co.uk/coxsoneja.html

Always wondered if the design with the straight text was Canadian, like the Canadian pressings of Lee's (Russians Are Coming). Oh, and if anyone wants a great Jamaican soul record get that Ken Booth, also on UK Island.

You did an astounding job with the Blues Busters CD. :rolleyes:

If anyone has the Roots Knotty Roots programme to hand they should be able to find the original CBYG label, although I've noticed that its not complete. Mines on the PC at home, Pete Smith may be able to access his?

Just found this, Sunshine label:

https://img.inkfrog.com/pix/telegift/aucpics217.jpg

Corr!!!!:

https://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?...nr=290052054767

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've just been upstairs and played the Belgian EMI 45 - it's the 'Keith And Ken' version, the same as the one that appears by mistake on 'my' CD. The Kentone version is also on the original "Behold...How Sweet It Is" album on Sunshine.

Talking of "Behold", there are two different versions of that, too - only this time, both are by the Blues Busters! The original single on Ja. Sunshine/UK Island, and doubtless a few more labels, was produced by Byron Lee and features the Dragonaires' musical backup. The US Capitol release was recorded in New York with local session musicians, and is produced by Luther Dixon!

BTW the melody of "Behold" was, it would appear, 'recycled' by Chris Blackwell in 1961, rewritten as "I'll Cross My Fingers" and recorded by Scottish duo The Allisons on UK Fontana. Blackwell is one of the three writers of the song - the other two are not L. Campbell and P. James, mysteriously. It didn't sell and is considerably rarer than either version of "Behold"!

Linda Jones' version of "Behold", on one of her Turbo albums, also has a wrong writer credit (Sylvia Robinson, I think!)...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Oh, and if anyone wants a great Jamaican soul record get that Ken Booth, also on UK Island.

There's also a nice later version, using the same 1966 backing track, by John Holt on a various artists Studio One album, from the early 70s, called (I think) "Solid Gold". No single on this one, although it was released as a 'duet' with Dennis Alcapone at around the same time.

I've just done the sleeve notes for a really good 2CD Ken Boothe anthology for Trojan, should be out next month. Doesn't have any Studio One sides on it for contractual reasons, but there are plenty of great rocksteady and early reggae cuts on there to atone for that. And the notes are quite informative, if I do say so myself :rolleyes:

The 'A. East' mentioned on that BRA label is "Alty East" (or Altyman East, to give him his full name). I'm pretty sure that he was NY based. BRA is certainly an interesting hodge podge of a label, isn't it?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

There's also a nice later version, using the same 1966 backing track, by John Holt on a various artists Studio One album, from the early 70s, called (I think) "Solid Gold". No single on this one, although it was released as a 'duet' with Dennis Alcapone at around the same time.

I've just done the sleeve notes for a really good 2CD Ken Boothe anthology for Trojan, should be out next month. Doesn't have any Studio One sides on it for contractual reasons, but there are plenty of great rocksteady and early reggae cuts on there to atone for that. And the notes are quite informative, if I do say so myself :rolleyes:

The 'A. East' mentioned on that BRA label is "Alty East" (or Altyman East, to give him his full name). I'm pretty sure that he was NY based. BRA is certainly an interesting hodge podge of a label, isn't it?

Look forward to the new CD, any chance they can turn those nasty fold out things into booklets? My only gripe! I think that I have that LP somewhere, will have to look for it this weekend.

Alty East was in the orginal Dragonnaires line up (you probably know that, sorry!). He was in Jamaica in 67 to produce the People Get Ready This Is Rocksteady LP. And for the Jerry Jones recordings (1970?), although he may well have been back an forth to NY.

Social source share

Will pay £125 cash for a good JA or US copy of this, maybe more (or less) depending on condition. Surely the most it's ever gone for, so pleeeeease someone??

Blues Busters - I wont let you go (kentone)

the one i always wanted was

AINT TO SHY

Butch was listening to it @ cleggy in our caravan

thought he might get one to play

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Look forward to the new CD, any chance they can turn those nasty fold out things into booklets? My only gripe! I think that I have that LP somewhere, will have to look for it this weekend.

Alty East was in the orginal Dragonnaires line up (you probably know that, sorry!). He was in Jamaica in 67 to produce the People Get Ready This Is Rocksteady LP. And for the Jerry Jones recordings (1970?), although he may well have been back an forth to NY.

It's my guess - and it is just a guess - that he would have been the 'A' in B(yron) R(onnie Nasralla, who was also the N in the BMN label) A(lty). Which doesn't explain how Studio One tracks and the Witches and Warlock 45 appeared on B R A, but like I said it's just a guess so anything's possible!

I also think you're right about the back-and-forth business. Artists were beginning to migrate to the USA and Canada by the end of the 60s (e.g. Delano Stewart, Stranger Cole, Phyllis Dillon, Lyn Taitt, Jackie Mittoo, Johnny Osborne) and fly back for the occasional session, so it's highly likely that producers did too!)

Social source share

So... is BRA a jamaican or US label? :rolleyes:

If it's a US label... what was the original jamaican label for "I Can't Believe You're Gone"?

(blimey, all these posts in an hour!)

sorry to start the confusion, i meant Canadian not US... a lot of questions have been answered and loads more raised! my Coxsone suggestion was only after seeing that dancecrasher scan the other day.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

(blimey, all these posts in an hour!)

sorry to start the confusion, i meant Canadian not US... a lot of questions have been answered and loads more raised! my Coxsone suggestion was only after seeing that dancecrasher scan the other day.

Don't sweat it - it's made for a very intersting thread and, regrettably, it's also introduced me to another European pic sleeve pressing that I will probably never own (a pox on you, Mr. Fonzaeus! :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup: ...)

Social source share

well, it might have confused MIke's simple request!

executive summary for Mr Parry - if it's the slower version (in the clip above) you want then the Kentone JA, the BRA canadian, or Sebastian's euro pic sleeve one are the right ones to get. think i paid 60 or 70 for a clean BRA copy which seemed about right going by Popsike etc...

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

so no ones got one for sale then?! biggrin.gif

I know I want the Blues Busters version, Dont want the Keith and Ken version. I thought the Us label was Sunshine or something, or Liberty.

Come on, a good price for this!

mik.parry@talk21.com

This one doesn't pop up often. I'd say about 3-4 JA copies a year on ebay. Haven't seen the US version at all. Usually tops out around $100 US depending on condition.

Social source share

Source Advert