Films

Soulsmith

Recently picked up the prequel to Carlitos Way. Although the film got panned by the critics, I thought it was enjoyable. It was helped by an excellent soundtrack.....soulful, funky, staxy sort of thing. Looked for it on web but can't find track listing!

Anything else out there you'd recommend ie good film and soulful soundtrack?

Col.

Social source share

• Replies 63
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

GREAT SOUNDTRACK RE THE SECOND CARLITO FILM,BRONX TALE IS GOOD AND THE EARLY SCORCESE STUFF INCLUDING A VERY YOUNG DE NIRO DANCING TO THE MIRACLES.OF COURSE THE TEMPTATIONS FILM [RECENT SOUL SOURCE DISCUSSION].CANT IGNORE SHAFT AND THE BLAXPLOITATION STUFF OFCOURSE. :thumbsup:

BAZ A,

OH AND DONT FORGET TONIGHT[CHANNEL 4] THE BRILL JACKIE BROWN AND ALL THEM LOVELY PHILLY PLUGS RE THE AWESOME DELFONICS.

Social source share

OH AND DONT FORGET TONIGHT[CHANNEL 4] THE BRILL JACKIE BROWN AND ALL THEM LOVELY PHILLY PLUGS RE THE AWESOME DELFONICS.

And not forgeting the man himself on the opening titles

Accross 110th street :thumbsup:

The other Baz

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

Four Brothers has a great motown soundtrack, and is a decent gangster type film.

tracks from the cd via amazon.com:

1. Dancing Machine - Jackson 5

2. 'T' Plays It Cool - Marvin Gaye

3. Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over) - Four Tops

4. Papa Was A Rollin' Stone - The Temptations

5. Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) - Marvin Gaye

6. I Wish It Would Rain - The Temptations

7. Smiling Faces Sometimes - The Undisputed Truth

8. Cloud Nine - The Temptations

9. Cleo's Apartment - Marvin Gaye

10. Take A Look Around - The Temptations

11. Knucklehead - Grover Washington, Jr.

12. Do It Baby - The Miracles

13. Trouble Man - Marvin Gaye

Social source share

One of my fave films ever is The Wanderer. Good soundtrack too.

Yes, I agree... that song I Love You, I had on repeat for yonks :thumbsup: Can't remember who it's by at the cd's in the garage :D

Social source share

One of my fave films ever is The Wanderer. Good soundtrack too.

AGREE WITH THAT CHALKY [LOVED THE ARMTIT GAME AND THE SCENE IN THE ALLEY WHEN THE BIG WANDERER GIVE THE BALDIES A GOOD KICKING.].WHEN THE FILM WAS SHOWED AT THE FLICKS 1980 IT WAS ON WITH SCANNERS AND THE WARRIORS.WAHT A TREBLE BILL EH

BAZ A thumbsup.gif

Social source share

GREAT SOUNDTRACK RE THE SECOND CARLITO FILM,BRONX TALE IS GOOD
Spot on. Brilliant film. I love the part when he borrows the gangsters motor to take that young sort out. She comes swanning across the road to 'baby i need your loving'. Young love eh. wicked.gif
Social source share

Spot on. Brilliant film. I love the part when he borrows the gangsters motor to take that young sort out. She comes swanning across the road to 'baby i need your loving'. Young love eh. wicked.gif

talking about the car test arnt you when she had to open the car door,with baby i need your loving playing in the background.Brilliant.

Social source share

AGREE WITH THAT CHALKY [LOVED THE ARMTIT GAME AND THE SCENE IN THE ALLEY WHEN THE BIG WANDERER GIVE THE BALDIES A GOOD KICKING.].WHEN THE FILM WAS SHOWED AT THE FLICKS 1980 IT WAS ON WITH SCANNERS AND THE WARRIORS.WAHT A TREBLE BILL EH

BAZ A thumbsup.gif

Leave the kid alone :D It's one of those films I can watch over and over again, lost count the times I've watched it. It was just double bill down here I think :D Wanderers and Warriors.

Social source share

Leave the kid alone boxing.gif It's one of those films I can watch over and over again, lost count the times I've watched it. It was just double bill down here I think :D Wanderers and Warriors.

THE BLOKE WHO PLAYED THE BIG MUSH WENT ON TO STAR IN PORKIES ANOTHER AWESOME FILM,WONDER WHAT HES UP TO NOW?

Social source share

talking about the car test arnt you when she had to open the car door,with baby i need your loving playing in the background.Brilliant.

Thats the one.

Social source share

GREAT SOUNDTRACK RE THE SECOND CARLITO FILM,BRONX TALE IS GOOD AND THE EARLY SCORCESE STUFF INCLUDING A VERY YOUNG DE NIRO DANCING TO THE MIRACLES.OF COURSE THE TEMPTATIONS FILM [RECENT SOUL SOURCE DISCUSSION].CANT IGNORE SHAFT AND THE BLAXPLOITATION STUFF OFCOURSE. thumbsup.gif

BAZ A,

De Niro film was "Mean Streets"

Anybody seen Catholic Boys ? Coming of age film at a boys only school. They have a social dance event with the local girls convent school and dance in the gym to "Ooh Baby Baby"

Social source share

What was that seventies ice hockey film with Maxine Nightingale playing all the way through?

Slap_shot_movie_poster.jpg

Rest of the soundtack was a bit crap though...

"RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED FROM"

Performed by Maxine Nightingale

United artists Records

"SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD"

Performed by Elton John

MCA/Rocket Records

"Rhiannon (Will You Ever Win)"

Written by Stevie Nicks

Performed by Fleetwood Mac

Reprise Records

"Say You Love Me"

Written by Christine McVie

Reprise Records

"A LITTLE BIT SOUTH OF SASKATOON"

Performed by Sonny James

Columbia Records

"YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING"

Performed by Leo Sayer

Warner Bros. Records

Social source share

Slap_shot_movie_poster.jpg

Rest of the soundtack was a bit crap though...

"RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED FROM"

Performed by Maxine Nightingale

United artists Records

"SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD"

Performed by Elton John

MCA/Rocket Records

"Rhiannon (Will You Ever Win)"

Written by Stevie Nicks

Reprise Records

"Say You Love Me"

Written by Christine McVie

Reprise Records

"A LITTLE BIT SOUTH OF SASKATOON"

Performed by Sonny James

Columbia Records

"YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING"

Performed by Leo Sayer

Warner Bros. Records

BRILL ,DONT MAKE THEM RIGHT THAT ANYMORE !

BAZ A. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

His name was Erland Van Lidth and he died in 1987 from heart failure, he was also an accomplished opera singer

Lenny

'Terror' He was also in Stir Crazy with Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor - Grossberger :lol:

Try finding an image of that guy ...

Social source share

IM PISSING MYSELF LAUGHING HERE LENNY SO MEAT IS STILL ALIVE AND THE GANG LEADER OF THE BALDIES IS DEAD? FIRST CLASS RESEARCH HAVE YOU ANY IDEA WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LEADER OF THE WARRIORS ,I CANT REMEMBER IF IT WAS KEN WALLER OR SOME OTHER DUDE.

BAZ A.

Ken Wahl was his name Baz, he has been in quite a few films since but have'nt seen him recently

Lenny

Social source share

Ken Wahl was his name Baz, he has been in quite a few films since but have'nt seen him recently

Lenny

YES THATS HIM WASNT HE IN SOMETHING WITH PAUL NEWMAN ABOUT 2 NEW YORK POLICEMEN.THE WARRIORS HAS A GREAT SOUNDTRACK LOVED THE NOWHERE TO RUN WHEN THERE WERE GETTING CHASED THROUGH THE BRONX. :lol:

BAZ A.

Social source share

Leave the kid alone :lol: It's one of those films I can watch over and over again, lost count the times I've watched it. It was just double bill down here I think :shades: Wanderers and Warriors.

Great choice of films, 2 of my favourite 3 :lol:

Poor use of geography, you are in fact, up there :D

Social source share

more like tarantinoexploitation ,hes known to knick a few ideas .I think jackie brown was the only film he has done where did not write it could be wrong but.?

baz a

The Jackie Brown film was based on a book called Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard, if you like pulp fiction [ books, not the film ] he`s your man ... seriously, the guys a genius. He was an executive producer on the film. Tarantino is a massive fan of this guy & i really recommend anyone to try his books :lol:

Social source share

Guest Dante

I wanted to do this thread for a while...

Jackie Brown of course, even Pulp Fiction has some good soulful stuff (Al Green, Son of A Preacher Man).

Remember the Titans. Not in my top 20, but has a very good Motown soundtrack, including a scene where a big fat white guys sings with a black guy Get Ready.

The first song on Who's That Knocking At y Door (Martin Scorcesse) is a great R&B tune with a nice hammond on it.

High Fidelity (Stephen Frears), wich must be in every record collector's all time top 10 films :lol: has The Sweetest Feeling with Mr. Wilson and a lot of references to Stax and stuff. And, of course, that great scene where Jack Black sings live Let's Get It On as Barry Jive And The Uptown Five (that name is reserved for my first cover-up so don't try to use it :lol: ). As an ultra geek comment, in one shot inside Championship Vinyl you can see an OKeh single :shades:

There are lots of films with one or two soul tracks, but the alzheimer is already beatin' me up.

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert