SteveM

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mark shepherd

sold one (demo) a few months back , think the price was £300, then heard it played out and regretted the sale, ah well ho hum...... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

I recently bought the Jimmy Conwell LP on EBay on the basis it was the original and am waiting for this to arrive. Have 2 questions :

1) I didnt realize at the time that the album had been re-issued - how do I tell the two apart ?

2) Is the album track of Sundown in Watts the same cut or a different cut of the song - I certainly hear Jimmy's voice loud and clear on the Exits but havent actually heard the album track.

Help appreciated.

Thanks

John

Social source share

I recently bought the Jimmy Conwell LP on EBay on the basis it was the original and am waiting for this to arrive. Have 2 questions :

1) I didnt realize at the time that the album had been re-issued - how do I tell the two apart ?

2) Is the album track of Sundown in Watts the same cut or a different cut of the song - I certainly hear Jimmy's voice loud and clear on the Exits but havent actually heard the album track.

Help appreciated.

Thanks

John

It has been reissued but not sure how to tell the difference. A very strong album, not a bad track on it. I think Sundown is a slightly different mix, never really studied it but theres just something different.

You'll be happy with your purchase and well worth the wait.

Tomo

Social source share

sold one (demo) a few months back , think the price was £300, then heard it played out and regretted the sale, ah well ho hum...... :yes:

Thought you would have learned your lesson by now Shep :thumbsup:

never mind , sure you'll get another if you really want one eh :P

seeya at makam and takam land 2nite

Social source share

Help appreciated.

Thanks

John

The Jimmy Conwell LP version of the tune is a more "modern" version (ie 70's sounding although still faithful to the original) but just as good as the Exits original. Prefer to play Jimmy Conwell when DJ ing.

As for any re issue of the LP, over the years many collectors and dealers have in their sales banter often mentioned 're issues' or "bootlegs" of virtually all the various collectable LP's on Guinness such as Jimmy Conwell, Newban 1 & 2, Frank Dell, Roger Hatcher etc but I've NEVER ever seen a reissue or bootleg of ANY of those in 30 years!

I'm happy to be corrected but I don't think ANY of the Guinness LPs have indeed EVER been re issued or bootlegged ... I've come to the conclusion that it's just an urban myth that there have been re issues/bootlegs of so many rare soul LP's. Unless , that is, the major "re issuer" Scorpio Records in the US has ever produced them (and they have done many by the way but none of the ones I just mentioned) ??? Or our Japanese friends ?

But as I say, I'm happy to be corrected on this point . Perhaps Mr Manship can offer us his wisdom on re issued and bootlegged soul LP's ???? It's an area that needs a lot more experienced and educated comment.

I WOULD like to have Mr Manship confirm whether for example whether the two Dysons Faces LPs really were re issued or bootlegged and if so how exactly do you tell the difference ??? And Gwen McCraes Melody of Life LP ??? Damn Sam the Miracle Man ??? Rhythm Machine ??? and so on and so on ...

And lets not forget the clear distinction between a RE ISSUE and a BOOTLEG , reissue means a legitimate licensed second issue of an LP often with a company logo like Charly inserted on the sleeve design.

A bootleg is a deliberate illegal, attempted note for note reproduction of the original LP ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

£250-£300 mate

one on ebay last week

check out popsike

last 2 went $502. $490.two diff label designs

never seen an issue...does it exist????

regards gasher

yes Richie it was issued I've had & sold a black stock copy

Social source share

The Jimmy Conwell LP version of the tune is a more "modern" version (ie 70's sounding although still faithful to the original) but just as good as the Exits original. Prefer to play Jimmy Conwell when DJ ing.

As for any re issue of the LP, over the years many collectors and dealers have in their sales banter often mentioned 're issues' or "bootlegs" of virtually all the various collectable LP's on Guinness such as Jimmy Conwell, Newban 1 & 2, Frank Dell, Roger Hatcher etc but I've NEVER ever seen a reissue or bootleg of ANY of those in 30 years!

I'm happy to be corrected but I don't think ANY of the Guinness LPs have indeed EVER been re issued or bootlegged ... I've come to the conclusion that it's just an urban myth that there have been re issues/bootlegs of so many rare soul LP's. Unless , that is, the major "re issuer" Scorpio Records in the US has ever produced them (and they have done many by the way but none of the ones I just mentioned) ??? Or our Japanese friends ?

But as I say, I'm happy to be corrected on this point . Perhaps Mr Manship can offer us his wisdom on re issued and bootlegged soul LP's ???? It's an area that needs a lot more experienced and educated comment.

I WOULD like to have Mr Manship confirm whether for example whether the two Dysons Faces LPs really were re issued or bootlegged and if so how exactly do you tell the difference ??? And Gwen McCraes Melody of Life LP ??? Damn Sam the Miracle Man ??? Rhythm Machine ??? and so on and so on ...

And lets not forget the clear distinction between a RE ISSUE and a BOOTLEG , reissue means a legitimate licensed second issue of an LP often with a company logo like Charly inserted on the sleeve design.

A bootleg is a deliberate illegal, attempted note for note reproduction of the original LP ?

your quote "WOULD like to have Mr Manship confirm whether for example whether the two Dysons Faces LPs really were re issued or bootlegged.

LP reissues are something I've not documented anything like i have the 45s .. I will of course do it..but to have both boot & legit releases in stock at any one time is usual..I've documented Skull Snaps LP etc but not the ones you've mentioned so far.

your quote "A bootleg is a deliberate illegal, attempted note for note reproduction of the original LP ?"

Lets not forget the COUNTERFEIT that is made then sold as the original to decieve and gain from..they are the ones that niggle me...Z.Z. & Company, Oxford Knights etc the list is endless.. but it's hard to say what was legal and what was not.

Simon Soussan often credited the "Licensed from" on his repro labels.. and of course now legendary licensed from "Toller licensing" has apparently confused a legit record company owner friend of mine...

It's minefield.. of what was right and what was wrong..but i do try to fully document anything i find "questionable" but at the mo' and can't help you on the LPs. I'm sure Steve Plumb or someone else will have a better answer as they handle this area more than I do.

PS Guinness are I believe a totally legit label.

Social source share

whether they were bootlegs or reissues, gwen mcrae, both dysons faces and jimmy conwell have been reissued as i have owned them all. i believe jimmy conwell lp was a jap one, it may have even had blues interactions or the like at the bottom of the sleeve or label. 'melody of life' was repressed a few years back as a look-a-like, you can tell from the sheen on the label it's not an original, rhythym machine is definitely a reissue/boot. dysons faces are well known as being reissued, and have just been reissued again only last week.

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Sunnysoul

I appreciate the heads up on this.

This is a special LP - in particular I'm looking forward to hearing the JC version of The Jades cut on Imperial - was a little disappointed to see the same LP featuring on a UK list at GBP 10 advertised as a re-issue, though.

The LP market is one that rarely gets discussed on this forum, but there are certainly re-issues around. I have more than a couple of funk LP's which have seen a second release - two that immediately spring to mind ,that I bought as new releases at the time are Howard Andrews Congregation, great Bay Area album - and Reuben Wilson's LP on Cadet - both of which have been re-issued.

There are a couple of outlets that specialize in these LP's - Skullsnaps, Milton Wright, Joe Quarterman, Queenie Lyons, Baby Huey, Marlena Shaw - all quality products on hd vinyl - however I have no idea as to whether they are paying their dues. Bearing in mind the litigious nature of business within the USA I'd guess that these must be legitimate re-releases.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this ?

Joihn

Social source share

Another giveaway for the Gwen McCrae "re-issue" is the construction of the sleeve, and the quality of board used in the sleeve. The original is of "slick" construction: ie printed paper glued to unprinted heavy board, whereas the bootleg is printed board glued in one piece. Hope this makes sense.

Just who is behind these re-issues? My guess is that no proper recompense is being arranged with the true rights holders and the enterprise is a license to print money. Very naughty in the instances where bootlegs are sold at the same price as originals.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Another giveaway for the Gwen McCrae "re-issue" is the construction of the sleeve, and the quality of board used in the sleeve. The original is a of "slick" construction: ie printed paper glued to unprinted heavy board, whereas the bootleg is printed board glued in one piece. Hope this makes sense.

Just who is behind these re-issues? My guess is that no proper recompense is being arranged with the true rights holders and the enterprise is license to print money. Very naughty in the instances where bootlegs are sold at the same price as originals.

This series of LP reissues covered just about every collectable SOUL LP in the late 90s and were in every shop in the USA I ever visited. I think the companies (Universal etc) cashed in on this one having the rights. They are genuine reissues and used all the original artwork. Yes, the sleeve are the easy giveaway to the 2nd. press as they were in much thinner card without the 70s "grain"..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert