Rare Motown Acetate

Was watchin the below item on eBay....

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=011

Looks like a lemon to me, but anyone able to confirm whether it's the real deal or not?

Questions that spring to mind are -

Aren't Motown Acetates usually Typed credits on a plain label?

Why split the sides between two different releases on two different labels?

Isn't the label a little modern looking in layout/design (more late 60s than early 60s)?

post-1281-1180905470_thumb.jpg

post-1281-1180905561_thumb.jpg

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I did contact the seller about this because as far as I'm aware NSC is Ron Murphy's Detroit based company - he put out several unreleased tracks on Soul King - I could be wrong but I doubt very much that it was in existence when Motown were cutting and certainly there have been several dubious acetates in the last few years with National Sound Corporation labels.

IMO this is just a relatively recent acetate of a released - albeit very rare and expensive - Tamla 45. :shades:

Cheers

Mike B

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Looks like a lemon to me, but anyone able to confirm whether it's the real deal or not?

Isn't the label a little modern looking in layout/design (more late 60s than early 60s)?

Looks dodgy Joe, I agree. Also the 2 different artists per side, and the Tamla one side/Motown the other? Seen that studio before, but as you say, doesn't look like the typical motown acetate. Tends to 'oversell' this item with the "could be handwritten by Berry Gordy himself" bit! :shades:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Perhaps someone at the National Sound Corporation has a crap, boring New Years eve 1959 with nowt better to do than cut it?

The Contours first record on Motown was "Whole Lot Of Woman" in 1959

The Chico Leverette track was released on Tamla in 1960.

Social source share

Perhaps someone at the National Sound Corporation has a crap, boring New Years eve 1959 with nowt better to do than cut it?

The Contours first record on Motown was "Whole Lot Of Woman" in 1959

The Chico Leverette track was released on Tamla in 1960.

No, that can't be it, and those release dates are wrong. There are almost two years between the two releases. Chico was released April 1959 and Contours was issued on 20th of February 1961 (the "regional" version that is, the "national" one wasn't issued until May 1961). This acetate looks very dodgy to me.

Social source share

No, that can't be it, and those release dates are wrong. There are almost two years between the two releases. Chico was released April 1959 and Contours was issued on 20th of February 1961 (the "regional" version that is, the "national" one wasn't issued until May 1961). This acetate looks very dodgy to me.

Nothing about this offering gives me any confidence of authenticity.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Surely the biggest giveaway to the acetate's lack of authenticity is the way that the phone number is printed on the label. Detroit did get an area code as far back as 1947 - the year that they were introduced to the USA - but all US phone numbers were still better known by a letter-and-number combination in the 1950s and 1960s.

I'm not sure what Detroit's letters were in 1960/61, but let's just assume for a minute that they were 'Beechwood', as in the Marvelettes' "Beechwood 4-5789". If that was the case, the telephone number shown on this label would read 'Be 6-3800' as that's how most Americans would have still expected it to have been written back then.

I think that the chances of seeing a 10 digit phone and area code number printed on a label back then would have been non-existent at best...

Social source share

Surely the biggest giveaway to the acetate's lack of authenticity is the way that the phone number is printed on the label. Detroit did get an area code as far back as 1947 - the year that they were introduced to the USA - but all US phone numbers were still better known by a letter-and-number combination in the 1950s and 1960s.

I'm not sure what Detroit's letters were in 1960/61, but let's just assume for a minute that they were 'Beechwood', as in the Marvelettes' "Beechwood 4-5789". If that was the case, the telephone number shown on this label would read 'Be 6-3800' as that's how most Americans would have still expected it to have been written back then.

I think that the chances of seeing a 10 digit phone and area code number printed on a label back then would have been non-existent at best...

Lovely reply! :shades:

Social source share

who's going to ring it....................... :shades:

Social source share

Surely the biggest giveaway to the acetate's lack of authenticity is ..

biggest giveaway is the fact that NSC didn't exist back then in the early 60s. there are quite a lot Motown and/or Detroit related NSC acetates around. many used to be on ebay years ago, AFAIK all of them had diff. artists on each side.

these NSC acetates were discussed on here many many moons ago and i remember someone posting, that the NSC logo on the label is from the mid-/late 80s, this makes this dub here 20+ years old but not 40+ years...

Social source share

Nothing about this offering gives me any confidence of authenticity.

Another point to be added is that the acetate shows handwritten release numbers...which none of the original Jobete acetates had. As an acetate is normally done before the release, obviously no one would be able to know already the release number...this plus the known facts about the company itself (year of foundation etc.) lets me to believe that this acetate is as much authentic as the one from the same manufactory that had J.D. Bryant (Washington) on one side and another big (Detroit) rarity on the other side...that was on ebay some years ago... :shades: As the seller had some great early Detroit 45s up for auction I tend to imagine that the guy he bought the stuff from had this plate done to fill the gap in his collection as the Contours and especially Chico Leverett are two really dog rare Motown pieces. I bought my Chico about seven years ago and never saw another one...talking of rare Motown items I am really surprised to see that Saundra Mallet is still only at 10 UKP :thumbup: .... rarer as the Contours IMVHO (no matter which of the two released versions).

Marc

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Anyone tried to tip off the buyer? Ebay in their infinite wisdom now seem to be blocking mails to buyers if you are not in a transaction with them...... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert