And The Rains Came

Thanks guys.

Well the Loss Adjuster came, he saw and (I think) he understood the gravity of the situation.

He's gone back to base to type up the report and has asked me to complete a form evaluating the potential loss.

He wants me to estimate all records completely destroyed and all records devalued.

Where to start???

In addition, I've a Gym down there, a Wine Cellar and loads of PC's and IT and Sound equipment... all wrecked. These will also need to go on the valuation.

The exercise should take about a week.

Along with that I've got to immediately dispose of all the 'written off' stock as he's arranging for a team to come in and gut the place.

That'll be when the tears start.

:sweatingbullets:

On top of this, the Mrs is about to have our Baby any second.

:D

Just hope she can hang on until after the weekend... when we can get back to some assemblence of order.

Thanks for all your messages of support. It's been a useful exercise and a pretty hard lesson for all of us I guess. A mate suggested moving everything up onto the top floor, but with the changing weather the Roof could blow off this winter! Think I'll be converting one of the Bedrooms, in the middle of the house, which seems the safest option.

Anyhow, must press on.

Wellies back on and down we go!

Look forward to catching up with a few of you tomorrow night at Qube (don't worry Shane and Co, I've still got plenty of biscuit dry goodies in the playbox). You'll be treated to a load of stuff that's never been played out in public before. Amazing what a good collection clear out does for your playlist!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

• Replies 63
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

hi sean

just a thought but idf you are paid out for the lets say full value of ruined singles or lp's does the insurance company then own these so will they take them away from you. obviously the value paid for devalued records will just be the difference you would lose if selling.

does this mean you can buy back the damaged ones cheaply off the insurance company :sweatingbullets:

mark

Social source share

hi sean

just a thought but idf you are paid out for the lets say full value of ruined singles or lp's does the insurance company then own these so will they take them away from you. obviously the value paid for devalued records will just be the difference you would lose if selling.

does this mean you can buy back the damaged ones cheaply off the insurance company :thumbsup:

mark

Good thought Mark, but now they've seen them they've just told me to dispose of them.

They'll all be in the skip before the weekend (well some of them will)

They should also pay out a percentage on the devalued 'damaged' stuff (as opposed to destroyed) that I'll be hanging onto.

The good thing is that I was carrying a huge premium on contents insurance that should cover most of the true, current, value.

The not so good thing is that I did the original valuation when I took out the policy 5 years ago and as you well know, Record values have increased massively since that time, so I'll probably only get 2002 prices.

Still, to be fair, a lot of them were purchased at 1973 prices... but the purpose of the Insurance is to give you the current value.

Recommend everyone with a half decent collection gets them insured properly. If not, you won't get full value in the event of disaster and you just never know what's around the corner. A pretty scary thought for a lot of people on here.

Just found a box of tapes going back to the early 70's, about 2-300 of them. All completely soaked.

Anyone know if they'll dry out and be playable again, ever, or are they ruined too?

Sean

Social source share

Good thought Mark, but now they've seen them they've just told me to dispose of them.

They'll all be in the skip before the weekend (well some of them will)

They should also pay out a percentage on the devalued 'damaged' stuff (as opposed to destroyed) that I'll be hanging onto.

The good thing is that I was carrying a huge premium on contents insurance that should cover most of the true, current, value.

The not so good thing is that I did the original valuation when I took out the policy 5 years ago and as you well know, Record values have increased massively since that time, so I'll probably only get 2002 prices.

Still, to be fair, a lot of them were purchased at 1973 prices... but the purpose of the Insurance is to give you the current value.

Recommend everyone with a half decent collection gets them insured properly. If not, you won't get full value in the event of disaster and you just never know what's around the corner. A pretty scary thought for a lot of people on here.

Just found a box of tapes going back to the early 70's, about 2-300 of them. All completely soaked.

Anyone know if they'll dry out and be playable again, ever, or are they ruined too?

Sean

A friendly word of advice old bean - keep the records safe until you are satisfied with what the insurance company is paying you. My concern is that you don't get what you claim, and by then the records will be in some landfill. They should also pay out on replacement value, not a value declared five years ago. I suspect your contents insurance has had an inflationary increase each year.

Social source share

Thanks guys.

Well the Loss Adjuster came, he saw and (I think) he understood the gravity of the situation.

He's gone back to base to type up the report and has asked me to complete a form evaluating the potential loss.

He wants me to estimate all records completely destroyed and all records devalued.

Where to start???

In addition, I've a Gym down there, a Wine Cellar and loads of PC's and IT and Sound equipment... all wrecked. These will also need to go on the valuation.

The exercise should take about a week.

Along with that I've got to immediately dispose of all the 'written off' stock as he's arranging for a team to come in and gut the place.

That'll be when the tears start.

On top of this, the Mrs is about to have our Baby any second.

:lol:

Just hope she can hang on until after the weekend... when we can get back to some assemblence of order.

Thanks for all your messages of support. It's been a useful exercise and a pretty hard lesson for all of us I guess. A mate suggested moving everything up onto the top floor, but with the changing weather the Roof could blow off this winter! Think I'll be converting one of the Bedrooms, in the middle of the house, which seems the safest option.

Anyhow, must press on.

Wellies back on and down we go!

Look forward to catching up with a few of you tomorrow night at Qube (don't worry Shane and Co, I've still got plenty of biscuit dry goodies in the playbox). You'll be treated to a load of stuff that's never been played out in public before. Amazing what a good collection clear out does for your playlist!

:yes:

Sean

Sean, that bloke you kept in that box down there, the one in the rubber suit and gimp mask. Don't tell me he was still down there throughout all this ? Did you have him insured ? :lol:

Seriously, hope it all comes good or you.

We'll have a drink tomorrow :lol: . I'll pay :lol:

Steve

Social source share

Sean, that bloke you kept in that box down there, the one in the rubber suit and gimp mask. Don't tell me he was still down there throughout all this ? Did you have him insured ? :yes:

Seriously, hope it all comes good or you.

I'll buy everyone a drink tomorrow :thumbsup: . I'll pay :lol:

Steve

Well if he'd got a rubber suit on all he needed was a snorkel and he'd have been fully equipped for the conditions.

Social source share

Well if he'd got a rubber suit on all he needed was a snorkel and he'd have been fully equipped for the conditions.

You're right Dave.

He is fully equipped.

Steve knows that only too well, as I've let him stay down there with him for a couple of hours on more than one occasion...

...and if he thinks buying me a pint or two is gonna silence me he's another thing coming!

Social source share

You're right Dave.

He is fully equipped.

Steve knows that only too well, as I've let him stay down there with him for a couple of hours on more than one occasion...

...and if he thinks buying me a pint or two is gonna silence me he's another thing coming!

Sean

It's good to see you have retained your sense of humour after the devastating couple of weeks you've had. Make him pay for the beer all night...that'll really hurt him :yes::lol:

Social source share

You're right Dave.

He is fully equipped.

:lol:

It is Bill Ward isn't it Sean ?

Social source share

Hi Sean.

Here in Grimsby/ Cleethorpes many years ago until the sea defence wall was built up we used to get a lot of flooding. If you go along the sea front these days a lot of the private homes still have there houses set out so they live upstairs and sleep down stairs. All the valuables are upstairs. Just a thought for the future mate.

Trev

Edited by Coxy
Social source share

Guest Bogue

Jeez ! just been reading through this thread :D Really must be soul destroying ! pardon the pun it wasn't intended & was going to rub it out, but it seems like you have managed to hang on to your sense of humour in this horrible situation anyway :D

I think you have given me, & others, a valuable life lesson in how you have reacted to this !

Hope the insurance goes ok & you manage to replace what you can, which i guess is going to be very difficult.

All best :thumbsup:

Social source share

Jeez ! just been reading through this thread :P Really must be soul destroying ! pardon the pun it wasn't intended & was going to rub it out, but it seems like you have managed to hang on to your sense of humour in this horrible situation anyway :D

I think you have given me, & others, a valuable life lesson in how you have reacted to this !

Hope the insurance goes ok & you manage to replace what you can, which i guess is going to be very difficult.

All best :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Without trying to be too philosophical, I guess it's not what happens in life but how you react to it that determines the outcome.

Many years ago I used to be a partner in a firm (Modern Dynamic Training) where we did management training and PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) seminars. I've read hundreds of books on the subject and this was a real test for some of the principles. And so far, its worked, but who knows, by the end of the year I might be a bottle of whiskey a day quivering mess... but, somehow, I doubt it!

As for replacing what's gone, it's a funny thing, I was only speaking to Tats Taylor and Cliff Steele a couple of days before this happened and was saying that my wants list is now down to less than a half dozen tracks. I guess this will revitalise my 'chase' instinct... and put the fun back into collecting again, but we'll have to wait and see.

Am still wading through the soggy mess that was once my pride and joy, trying to salvage whatever I can, but the sheer quantity is making it impossible to rescue them all and for the past few days I've been literally shovelling them into bin liners and dumping them.

As I type, it's stopped raining and the sun's just come out.

So there must be something to this 'Positivity' stuff after all!

:D

Apologies... that bottle of whiskey is taking effect!

Social source share

Hellish news Sean. I had to fight with a loss-adjustor over a few records that were lost in a fire in an out-house. The best one's were indoors safe but thought I'd claim anyway. They wriggle and say you can't claim unless you've previosuly itemised the value, which is virtually impossible for a big collection. One thing they asked me to do was to get affidavits from other collectors validating prices based on guide-book prices. If you need the same let me know.

stuart cosgrove

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert