Can I Really Be A Soul Fan

Yes but deep soul has got nothing to do with northern soul so I don't really understand why people are comparing the two.

It's pretty obvious that the deep soul lovers think of themselves as a class above everyone else so maybe they should join up with the modern soul crowd, do us all a favour and disappear up their own arseholes. No offence meant.

If there is enough KY JELLY we will go up anyones arsehole! :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 73
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest rachel

I think it would be idea to have a day dedicated to "Deep" when the "RefoSoul" reopens.

We've done this a couple of times, but yep can do it again. :lol:

Always open to suggestions for the soundfile days but do sometimes miss them when they're buried in threads so if anyone's got any more get them up in the main topic... https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...iew=getlastpost

Social source share

Thanks for all your comments and a few kindred spirits.

As I stated I can handle a few tracks, one after the other, but thats it.

I have about 4000 mixed soul tracks on my newly aquired Ipod at the moment. If I shuffle the tracks and every so often a deep and slow soul track plays its OK, but to take in a double cd's worth at this point in my musical journey is too much.

Some of the tracks big on the Northern/Rare scene are not far away from deep soul, (Stepping out of the picture for example) so there will always be the 'border line case' between 2 styles.

Just glad Im not on my own with this deep soul thing. By the way, I could listen to Linda Jones - Hypnotised, over and over at least 3 times.

Ed

Social source share

Well thats what it's meant for - to dance to, not to be sat down and listened to for it's finesse

Says who,what bollocks...Soul is an expression through music that can touch you in a quiet moment sat alone or maybe out on the dance floor.Many many tunes that get played for the dancefloor have little or no soul IMO..Soul is not meant to be sat down and listened to(says Pete) :lol: ..If Pete don't like it then its shite is it and not soul..Some of us come from a different planet it seems...Many people can dance to deeper stuff,thats what dance is,not just some foooooooooooooooking stomper,IMO OF COURSE....At the end of the day its what some people class as deep soul,for some its anything below 250 mph..We aint gonna solve nowt with this talk as ever,we all just go our own way..I love the music in most forms and can find heaven in the stomper or deep dark ballad..Like Ged said,some are talking about Northern soul while others like me are talking about music as soul in all its forms....

peace and love...

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Says who,what bollocks...Soul is an expression through music that can touch you in a quiet moment sat alone or maybe out on the dance floor.Many many tunes that get played for the dancefloor have little or no soul IMO..Soul is not meant to be sat down and listened to :lol: ..If Pete don't like it then its shite is it and not soul..Some of us come from a different planet it seems...Many people can dance to deeper stuff,no problem and also dance to other tempo's toom,thats what dance is,not just some foooooooooooooooking stomper,IMO OF COURSE....

Read it again and read your reply again, it makes no sense whatsoever - you say me describing northern soul as dance music is bollocks and then two lines later you say soul is not meant to be sat down and listened to. Make your f*cking mind up.

Social source share

Was quoting you Pete with the line "it aint meant to be sat down etc...No worries my freind,we know we come from a different planet with regards to what is soul,live and let live...Nowt more to say really,like the song says "we go round in circles"..

Sorry Steve we are still at cross purposes and I am still confused but that's not a new concept, I'm just thinking, the whole Northern Soul scene was based around dancing but now I'm being told that this isn't the case - aren't I?

Social source share

No problem Pete..You are talking about Northern Soul, i am talking about soul music..This forum is a soul music forum... Rare.. Northern..Deep..Crossover..Modern...RnB... AND MUCH MUCH MORE..Many folk on here with different tastes in music,aint that a good thing :D ...

"Say something nice to me" :lol::lol:

Social source share

No problem Pete..You are talking about Northern Soul, i am talking about soul music..This forum is a soul music forum... Rare.. Northern..Deep..Crossover..Modern...RnB... AND MUCH MUCH MORE..Many folk on here with different tastes in music,aint that a good thing :D ...

"Say something nice to me" :lol::lol:

Yes of course it is but as I said, I was just making the statement that northern soul is predomanently music for dancing to not sitting down to

Social source share

Surely Soul is Soul whatever the tag put to it.

Here are just three records I have heard/danced at do's over the years and the other sides are listened to at home.

Sam Williams - Love Slipped Through My Finger/Lets Talk It Over - Tower

Bill Brandon - Something Wonderful/Rainbow Road - Tower

Candi Statten - Too Hurt To Cry/Mr & Mrs Untrue - Fame

Are they Northern - yes, are they deep - yes. They just happen to be on the other side to each other.

It's the dancier side thats played out and associated as Northen, because all a do is (and I'm trying to find a better term, but cant at the moment), is a "disco". There are a few beat ballads that have been classed as Northen, Cody Black - MR Blue springs to mind and I've had trouble dancing to that.

The more tunes, whatever their clasification that can be given airplay (at a do/radio or on here) can only be good for soul in general.

Social source share

Try as I might even with the Dave Godin (RIP) special CDs, I can only get into about one in ten so called 'deep soul' tracks.

Not sure what the problem is, I can listen to ballads and blues but cannot get the groove and beat on some of the tracks that are classifed as quality.

Dont suppose I can claim to be a real soul fan with this in mind.

Ed

Ed

I have never got past oldies!

Thats what I listened to and danced to as a kid

and still do

Ive tried to go to listen to rare stuff underplayed stuff funk jazz etc etc

But it doesnt hit the same notes as classic northern oldies even the 60's underplayed like the odd tune but still love the played out stuff

I wish I could but I can't :thumbsup:

Mand

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Quite a few Deep / Southern tracks that I like, but can only listen to a couple at a time before contemplating keelhauling myself...

We live in hope... whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

The tags should be removed and if it's a good record play it, whatever it's classification.

I first heard Ruby Andrews' "Just Loving You" played by Dave Godin at (supposedly) the first Deep Soul disco, held upstairs at The Phonograph Club in Walsall in late 1974. Now apparently it's a "Northern Classic" !! (Either way I love it though!)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Surely Soul is Soul whatever the tag put to it.

Here are just three records I have heard/danced at do's over the years and the other sides are listened to at home.

Sam Williams - Love Slipped Through My Finger/Lets Talk It Over - Tower

Bill Brandon - Something Wonderful/Rainbow Road - Tower

Candi Statten - Too Hurt To Cry/Mr & Mrs Untrue - Fame

Are they Northern - yes, are they deep - yes. They just happen to be on the other side to each other.

Add Linda Jones "I Just Can't Live My Life" c/w "My Heart Will Understand" (W.Bros 7 Arts)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Thanks for all your comments and a few kindred spirits.

As I stated I can handle a few tracks, one after the other, but thats it.

I have about 4000 mixed soul tracks on my newly aquired Ipod at the moment. If I shuffle the tracks and every so often a deep and slow soul track plays its OK, but to take in a double cd's worth at this point in my musical journey is too much.

Some of the tracks big on the Northern/Rare scene are not far away from deep soul, (Stepping out of the picture for example) so there will always be the 'border line case' between 2 styles.

Just glad Im not on my own with this deep soul thing. By the way, I could listen to Linda Jones - Hypnotised, over and over at least 3 times.

Ed

I think this is a very reasonable statement, and I sympathise. However, you're not expected to like EVERY Deep Soul record you hear - I don't either!. In the same way I don't like EVERY Northern/Seventies/Jazz-Funk track etc. Some will move you, others just don't do it! However, with Deep Soul you get a different (natural) high that you might obtain from hearing a scintillating Northern side for the first (or even the 100th!) time. It's a similar kind of emotional rollercoaster, but with quite different loops and turns!

The other thing about Deep Soul sides is that when they DO get to you they "dig real deep" and far from being "depressing" as some here have suggested, they can leave you feeling so damned UPLIFTED it's incredible! Just stick with it, and when you find the ones you like, let them mess with your Soul and they'll make you love them forever and never want to part with them!

Can't go far wrong with Linda Jones IMO. thumbsup.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It's pretty obvious that the deep soul lovers think of themselves as a class above everyone else

...And isn't this also true of soul people who only like Northern, Pete? Or rock fans who only like prog? Or reggae fans who only like roots, for example?

I'm not having a pop, just making an observation. I don't think it's at all fair that you single out deep soul lovers as elitist when, basically, anyone who doesn't like a bit of everything has probably been guilty of similar elitism at some point, whatever their musical preference.

Me, I just like soul, period - deep, wide, northern ,southern, modern, ancient, you name it and if it's good I probably like it. I also don't look down my nose at people whose emotions are not stirred by deep soul, anymore than I do at people who think that it's all about instruments rather than voices. To each their own. And tell me why, tell me why, tell me why, mmmmmm, can't we live together? (ta, Timmy T...)

Social source share

"WHAT'S BOTHERING ME" (re: timmy thomas,,Tony R thumbsup.gif ) is the inital question.

Like what you like,no need to justify it.

I tend to find "soul " in the oddest of places,in different musical genres,sometimes lyrically.( ie Johnny Cash,Leonard Cohen,Smiths).

Did used to bother me,years ago, but realised it a personal thing,till you get on the dancefloor of course :( . Now i just accept that i like soul music in most of its forms,,,not just Northern.

Social source share

...And isn't this also true of soul people who only like Northern, Pete? Or rock fans who only like prog? Or reggae fans who only like roots, for example?

I'm not having a pop, just making an observation. I don't think it's at all fair that you single out deep soul lovers as elitist when, basically, anyone who doesn't like a bit of everything has probably been guilty of similar elitism at some point, whatever their musical preference.

I'm not singling out deep soul people, it's just that they are the ones on the thread Tone. If it were people who enjoyed medieval folk music expressing the same sort of holier than thou thoughts I'd respond the same.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Add Linda Jones "I Just Can't Live My Life" c/w "My Heart Will Understand" (W.Bros 7 Arts)

oh yes what a double sider indeed thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Well stated Tony Rounce! My sentiments exactly m8 :D

!st so called "deep" record I bought was a cracker, "I'm A Loser" album by Doris Duke on Mojo '72ish? Hellova record AND one track has "become" Northern - Congrats Baby!

Soul is soul - similar to liquirice allsorts - many different flavours - taste them all u bound to have a favourite - "Voice Your Choice" BUT don't knock everyone's taste! :yes:

OMG are we harping back to the bollitix days of mid/late 70s? No................ ohmy.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert