Test Pressings / Acetates

Might have the chance to buy a few Stax / Atlantic type stuff on test pressings / acetates. Nothing rare or unreleased but from a historical point of view interesting all the same. As I don't see many about what's a reasonable value these days? Does anyone collect these?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Might have the chance to buy a few Stax / Atlantic type stuff on test pressings / acetates. Nothing rare or unreleased but from a historical point of view interesting all the same. As I don't see many about what's a reasonable value these days? Does anyone collect these?

Thanks in advance

Rich

I bought quite a few 10" Stax & Invictus Acetates recently Rich.

All released stuff, but very nice from a 'collectable' point of view.

Think I paid about $10 each.... but I'd have paid twice that amount!

Sean

Social source share

Hi Rich,

I can't say that I deliberately collect acetates / test pressings but in my many years of collecting I have bought loads and although some of them cost alot of dosh I can honestly say they are great items to have and from a nostalgic point they can't be matched.

Many of mine are Motown 7" & 10" steel acetates of tracks that were released but they have different takes of the tracks and backing tracks.

I also have a couple of interesting things, one is an alternate take of Maxine Brown's "One step at a time" by I think Valerie Simpson but not sure, perhaps I will post the track on here to see if anyone can work out who it is.

Second is an alternate version of "What can I do" by George Kirby on an Argo 10" acetate which is quite different, it has no backing vocals and is longer.

Buy them, you may find some interesting different take but if you don't like Baz says one of the greatest logo's

Regards

Alan

Social source share

i have couple of atlantic 70s test resses from 70s with different takes to the release on them had them in the sales boxbut no interest! got a few steel acetates the old 10 inch rca ones are great to look at, and i have an all instrumental acetate lp by unknown studio band 60s tracks on gotham,wacky or what, bought it to frame but the music is pretty good!!!!!!!!

Social source share

ezzie

Buy em. I collect emi/acetates and like the others say you usually get a slightly differant take, The only thing is if you take a box full out your arms are as long as a gorrilla's when you put them down after walking from the car park to the decks :thumbup:

Cheers John

Edited by Nocker
Social source share

I also have a couple of interesting things, one is an alternate take of Maxine Brown's "One step at a time" by I think Valerie Simpson but not sure, perhaps I will post the track on here to see if anyone can work out who it is.

Is this a 10" with an orange FLOMAR label? I've got 3 of these and have been told they were Val Simpson demos (one is "I Want A Guarantee" which was cut by Maxine Brown and the other two are demos for The Apollas) - just wondered if yours was the same...

In answer to the original question, you've got to love an acetate - it's like the ORIGINAL original. And if you're lucky it'll be a slightly different take.

Social source share

Is this a 10" with an orange FLOMAR label? I've got 3 of these and have been told they were Val Simpson demos (one is "I Want A Guarantee" which was cut by Maxine Brown and the other two are demos for The Apollas) - just wondered if yours was the same...

In answer to the original question, you've got to love an acetate - it's like the ORIGINAL original. And if you're lucky it'll be a slightly different take.

Hi, The acetate isn't on Flomar it is on Regent Sound Studios Inc. 10" something to do with Dick Charles if my memory is right but it is definately Flomar Muisic and a great tune, if I can get it turned into a format I can post up on here I will do it to see if anyone can confirm it is Valerie Simpson or whoever, I played it to Adey Croasdell once and he gave me the idea it could be Valerie Simpson..

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert